Pedometer/daily activites

Options
I am looking in to buying a pedometer to better keep track of steps, calories, etc. ((side note: I eventually want to get a Fit Bit, but I've had to make a few big ticket purchases in the past few weeks, so I have to hold off on that for a bit)).

I work at Walgreens, and am on my feet for 8-10 hour shifts 4-5 days a week. How active I am varies where I am placed, such as at the register (I don't move around a lot, usually in a little area for most of my shift), photo (running all over the store, helping customers, working the coolers, resets, etc.) or cosmetics (helping customers, building displays). This is one reason I want to keep better track of steps and calories burned. I currently have my daily activity setting on lightly active.

Should I keep it there with a pedometer, or change it to sedentary and then add in the calories burned from the day? I want to make sure I am keeping accurate track of calories and exercise. Or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks in advance for any advice:)

Replies

• maisimac
    maisimac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, am exactly the same, with work some days are more sedentary and others are really active so am also set at lightly active. The problem is if I believe my pedometer on the active days I can really burn a lot of calories and don't feel happy to eat them all back as advised.

I hope someone has the answer:smile:
  • saraoverbeck
    Options
    I don't usually eat back all my exercised calories, anyway- at least not them all. Do you add in calories burned through your daily walking? I'm just not sure which way is better.

I'm also thinking that maybe the pedometer will encourage me to walk more and go that extra step... and then if I burn more calories, that's just extra that I'm going to have left over, even if I match my calorie intake or go over. It's less of a 'temptation' to eat, if that makes sense?