Reached my goal! Lost 50 lbs w/ pics.

Options
monkeyriley
monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
I have confession, I have been a vampire here. Sucking up everyone's success stories and at least believing that others are working on the same journey that I wanted to follow. I believed that if some random person lost weight, so could I.

Well I did it!!! As a dude, I now weigh 175lbs on my 6'1" frame. My pants went from 38" to 33" and my shirts went from XL to M. In fact, I currently weigh less than I did in high school, which is awesome!

So a little background before we get to the good stuff...

From a little after eighteen years old, on I have been overweight. It wasn't bad in high school because I started my freshman year at 165 lbs/6'0"and graduated at 195 lbs/6'1". I figured that I put the weight on as I put time in the gym, lifting weights and working out for sports. I felt okay, I wish I could lift more and was self-conscious of this. As a whole, I was relatively lean to the rest of my teammates, but girls would talk to me, so I must have been doing something right. So obviously, it made sense to me at the time, that once football was done, my time in the gym was done because I no longer would have to feel self-conscious of my body relative to my peers. Which, at the time, was awesome; I had free time, deluxe. Things were looking great. I eventually went onto college and that is where the weight began to creep in. I had traded working out for nacho nights w/ $.25 taps. By the time I graduated college, I was 215 lbs. I thought that wasn't too bad. I had a great social life and my academics where in the A-/B+ range. So gaining 20 lbs. wasn't so bad, right? Besides, I was networking with my peers!

The world of work set in and I went from 215 to 230ish. NOT cool. How did I get like this? I didn't like how I looked, when I thought I looked good in a picture, the picture would come back awful, when I thought I looked okay, I felt like a rock star because the second chin was not as visible. I couldn't figure out where I went wrong, I bought exercise equipment and joined gyms; I didn't necessarily use any of these resources consistently, nor longer than 2 months, but they were there. I actually did have a spot of relief because my I didn't own a scale, so I wouldn't have to face the reality that potato chips and spaghetti had calories that actually count. Finally, I knew that, I was bringing the minimum to the table: moobs, love handles, tummy, and a second chin. Isn't that what women want?

So last November, my back went out, which prompted me to get to the Doctor. This was embarrassing because I just saw her 6 weeks prior, for a physical. The prognosis of my physical was that I was healthy, but everything was starting to move closer to unhealthy, which had me to promising the moon and the stars that I would start working on living a healthier life, but yet I did nothing. So, this time, I asked if my back had anything to do with my weight and what is the biggest correlating factor to a person's weight? She said that yes my weight probably made the problems worse and stated something that I never knew, that exercise has nothing to do with weight. She said that recent research indicated that calories consumed is the biggest indicator of maintaining a healthy weight. She also added and emphasize that exercise is very important in overall health, but it alone has no correlation with a person's weight. I was floored.

So, I signed up for MFP, the day before Thanksgiving. I didn't know what to expect, but I figured that anything that makes it easier to track calories is good and I don't want to do a 'diet'. I want to eat and be happy, but I had tracked calories by myself and found it to be a lot of work. This website makes that part easy because I just have to use a search engine and count what I eat. The hard part was sticking to the calorie guideline. MFP showed me the positive correlation that if I exercise, I get more calories. I like eating food.

Finally, after seeing the initial weight come off, I set the goal that once I would get to 200 lbs. I would start running because I used to years ago and missed it a lot. As of today, I have completed 3-5k's, I am doing a 10k next weekend, and have signed up to run a marathon in October (which, because of my success, I am more confident in hunting down this life-long, formerly secret, goal).

So, after reading my soliloquy, here are my results:

Pic_1.jpg
Around 230. I liked this photo because it minimized the chin.

Pic_2.jpg
Florida vacation. Had lots of fun but hated this photo in particular.

Pic_3.jpg
Florida vacation clothes now. Sorry about the creep 'stache- It's Sunday!

Pic_4.jpg
Florida vacation clothes now.

Pic_5.jpg
Clothes that actually fit.

Thank you for your success stories! I am glad for every one that I read and feel nothing but gratitude for when others share. You all keep me inspired (especially the guy success stories).

Replies

• hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What an awesome job! You look so much happier in the after pics, CONGRATS on all your hard work!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Very awesome, man! Congrats!
  • MandyZacherl79
    MandyZacherl79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome job Congrats!
  • shinyshell55
    shinyshell55 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great story! Congratulations on reaching your goal! Good luck with the marathon - it will be great. I agree the success stories on MFP are the best motivators. Always positive and inspiring! Thanks for writing your soliloquy - I love a good story especially one with a happy ending.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!!!! You look so happy now :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job! You look great!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and amazing job!!!
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Way to rock it you look GREAT!!!
  • Alicestella54
    Alicestella54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous job you look great ! congrats...
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Great job, and I enjoyed your story! I think the weight just "crept up" on most of us like that :)
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    awesome job!! Keep up the great work.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    smiling at your story and doing the happy dance for you. can't wait to have like success myself thank you so much for sharing. hugs!
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You look great! Even better, I bet you FEEL great. Congratulations!
  • anitaplus4
    anitaplus4 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Awesome job. Congratulations.
  • NanaB2011
    NanaB2011 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You look AWESOME! Congrats
  • gigibenton
    gigibenton Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! You look healthy and happy!
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    You look great, glad to see you've made it. I can definitely relate to your story.

I have 7lbs to go and I can't wait to get there. Still have a hard road ahead of me!
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you look like a new person.
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You have done a fantastic job!!!!!
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    Amazing work. Go Bucky!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!