weird question??

Options
So.... i am trying to eat between 1000 and 1200 cals a day, lots of fruit and veggies (LOVE salads). i have been doing the elliptical about 1/2 resistance for 30 minutes (4.5 to 5 miles) and am drinking lots of water...... i have lost 25 pounds since the beginning of march!

Problem is..... i no longer have regular bowl movements, i used to go everyday, not long ago i went 10 days!!!!! which can't be good for my body, and doesn't make me happy when i weigh and i have a weeks worth in there that gets added to the numbers on the scale! i have been taking overnight laxatives about every 3 days. problem is, they make me crampy and feel like crap, no pun intended. i also don't want to get addicted to taking them, as i have heard can happen.

can anyone suggest something i can do?

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Track your fiber....you should be getting anywhere from 25-35 grams per day. I have never gone every day myself, but have been told that you should go at least 3 times per week. A good source of fiber is ground flax seed, not a lot of calories either and good nutrition.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Specific fruits and veggies help ... move things along for me. ;)
    blackberries
    broccoli
    canteloupe
  • aaakayofmpls
    Options
    I kinda started having the same iisue,, if not careful i will have hemroids trying to push mine out,, prune juice a glass each morning helps me as well.
  • fraser112
    Options
    So.... i am trying to eat between 1000 and 1200 cals a day, lots of fruit and veggies (LOVE salads). i have been doing the elliptical about 1/2 resistance for 30 minutes (4.5 to 5 miles) and am drinking lots of water...... i have lost 25 pounds since the beginning of march!

Problem is..... i no longer have regular bowl movements, i used to go everyday, not long ago i went 10 days!!!!! which can't be good for my body, and doesn't make me happy when i weigh and i have a weeks worth in there that gets added to the numbers on the scale! i have been taking overnight laxatives about every 3 days. problem is, they make me crampy and feel like crap, no pun intended. i also don't want to get addicted to taking them, as i have heard can happen.

can anyone suggest something i can do?
    i was expecting alot worse responses on here
    It could be your just eating to little
    try to eat above 1200 . with that high a loss in such a short time you might need a few extra cals to keep you going.
    If i was you id try to get some eggs into the mix, if your veggie then up your fibre intake and i would try to limit the laxatives, not good for you.

Extra liquids might help also
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Eat more! Maybe u don't have anything in u. Do u feel bloated, in pain? When I was pregnant I'd goes weeks with out and I physically couldn't eat because obviously there was no room. Do u still get hungry? Cuz if u do ur body is simply absorbing all the nutrient u put in.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its from all the fiber you are intaking..try eating more proteins and healthy fats
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

You should have left this here, it was actually pretty funny
  • wlaurel
    wlaurel Posts: 43
    Options
    You aren't eating enough to poop... 1200 isn't enough for someone who is as active as you are not to mention less than 1200. Your body is probably in starvation mode not wanting to **** out the only food it has and soon it will be holding on to your fat too!! But seriously, ten days without poopling could be signs of a serious problem. I'd see a doctor.
  • marshamccorkle
    Options
    My nutri. person told me to watch my fiber 25-30 mg per day...and if I didn't get enough....to take fiber 1 in my first water of the day. She told me that fiber one bars are an excellent choice and dark green veggies...spinach.. Remember fiber is a daily staple.
  • marshamccorkle
    Options
    I agree. I was told to eat 1500 cals and 35-50 carbs.. I'm diabetic...though
  • SingerJennXXXX
    Options
    Fiber doesn't move things along unless you drink lots of water. Otherwise, fiber just bunches everything up.
  • fraser112
    Options

You should have left this here, it was actually pretty funny

i was worried about the touchy people getting upset at me again :laugh:
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats will help. Even if it means a few more calories a day. Ground flax and olive oil a perfect. I mix freshly ground flax seeds unto peanut butter and have it on a slice of Ezekiel toast with half a banana sliced on top. I haven't had a problem since.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Add a little bit of olive oil to your salads.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water keep in mind 8 glasses is a minimum. Hydration is important and helps muscle development!
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    Eat more! Maybe u don't have anything in u. Do u feel bloated, in pain? When I was pregnant I'd goes weeks with out and I physically couldn't eat because obviously there was no room. Do u still get hungry? Cuz if u do ur body is simply absorbing all the nutrient u put in.

i was wondering that myself..... i feel "full up" most of the time, though still hungry after workouts. i have been so terrified of adding extra fat to my diet, that i've pretty much cut it out. i will try and be a little heavier handed with the olive oil (just a bit!) and see if that helps. and flax seed, i can add that in without trying hard.

thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your calories are incredibly low - you probably do not have enough food to make it 'pass'. You should really up your calories so you can get a good balanced diet. You also need fats to have a healthy digestive system.
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats will help. Even if it means a few more calories a day. Ground flax and olive oil a perfect. I mix freshly ground flax seeds unto peanut butter and have it on a slice of Ezekiel toast with half a banana sliced on top. I haven't had a problem since.
  • jettyib1
    jettyib1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    smooth move hot tea works good and taste good. You can drink it every day if need be.