Summer duties getting in the way of my workouts

Options
Thought I would vent and blow off some steam. Weekend outside house maintenance has been getting in the way of my weekend workouts. Working outside all day and by the time I get inside it is late and I'm too tired to hit the weights.

Also now that summer is here, our city has a Thursday night party in the park that the wife always wants to go to. We also have a group dance on Wednesday night that I have already been working around for her But these Thursdays nights and the weekend chores are getting in my way.

How does every one juggle all of these things?

Hopefully some of these things die down soon..

Replies

• moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you just have to make working out a priorty. you schedule it so that both you and your wife know when your workouts are and work around it. so if you have to do house maintenance on the weekends then workout before you do the work on the house. you are just as important to maintain and take care of and your wife will have to understand that. two nights a week appears to be what she is asking for....that leaves you 5 a week to take care of you.
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My husband is home on the weekend nights so I don't get to do all of my workout. I try to get to the track and I have just told him that this is important and that he needs to help make the time for it on the weekend. So far so good. The group dancing should be a great work out for you. What kind of weekend chores are you doing could you turn them in to a workout maybe not a full on burn but a little something? Maybe if the park isn't to far you could walk there?
  • wlaurel
    wlaurel Posts: 43
    Options
    If it's causing you to be tired, maybe working outside is a workout. Definitely not as efficent as a good jog persay, but you are still burning energy which = calories :)
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the outside work, but what I have decided is I can't start any type of work in the house or yard until my exercise is done. If I don't I start doing the "I will exercise after I water my plants, or vacuum or whatever...." and before you know it I am wiped and don't feel like exercising...
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My husband is home on the weekend nights so I don't get to do all of my workout. I try to get to the track and I have just told him that this is important and that he needs to help make the time for it on the weekend. So far so good. The group dancing should be a great work out for you. What kind of weekend chores are you doing could you turn them in to a workout maybe not a full on burn but a little something? Maybe if the park isn't to far you could walk there?

I can burn plenty of calories on the weekend. This weekend I tore off deck boards and put new ones down. Dug holes and cemented in to new clothes line poles and mowed grass.

Dancing on Wednesday and Thursday is fine and I worked around them by doing cardio in the morning before work. I guess my issue is I did not get my weight training in tonight. I missed it.
  • silverbullet07
    Options
    If it's causing you to be tired, maybe working outside is a workout. Definitely not as efficent as a good jog persay, but you are still burning energy which = calories :)

Yes I burned plenty of energy but I missed my strength traing tonight.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You could do what I've done to clear time on the weekends... start tackling small projects throughout the week. Maybe not replacing the deck on a tuesday evening, but for example... your clotheslines... dig the holes tuesday, set and cement wednesday. (or whenever it fits)
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just let your wife know how important getting that training in and maybe you guys could make some comprises, communication is the key.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to sound rude in any way but instead of sitting at the computer and typing this you can do some weights real quick... Even if it's only for 15-20 minutes at least you got it done... Like i said not trying to sound mean or rude...
  • silverbullet07
    Options
    Im not trying to sound rude in any way but instead of sitting at the computer and typing this you can do some weights real quick... Even if it's only for 15-20 minutes at least you got it done... Like i said not trying to sound mean or rude...

Lol. I've been pulling up 16 ft boards all day and putting new ones down. Just got in an hour ago to. Clean up for bed. To tired to lift weight tonight. It will have to weight till tomorrow.
  • silverbullet07
    Options
    You could do what I've done to clear time on the weekends... start tackling small projects throughout the week. Maybe not replacing the deck on a tuesday evening, but for example... your clotheslines... dig the holes tuesday, set and cement wednesday. (or whenever it fits)

I know what you mean.. I use to be able to do that before i start this workout plan . but now when I get home from work I cook dinner for us, eat then off to lift. That runs two hours and then it is dark out and an hour before bed.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you are doing outside, it could be exercise. I've been working out regularly, but when I pulled out some old holly bushes, hacked to roots out of the ground and dug 3 foot deep holes to plant new hydrangeas, my heartrate was up, I was sweating and I was HURTING the next day. I logged that as gardening under cardio, but it was a GOOD workout.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    So....are you just wanting us to commiserate? :laugh:

Alrighty, "Poor baby. It is okay. We understand."