Workout routine help.

Options
I don't know how to workout. I get on the treadmill or elliptical for a while. Then my husband drags me to the weight room where I begrudgingly lift weights then I go home.
I feel like I should be doing more.But I don;t know what...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Replies

• TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    How about a group exercise class?
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    Tell Hubby to go do weights on his own... Hit the bike and get your heart rate up, if your sweating your burning calories. If you want to do weights concentrate are the larger muscle groups, i.e. legs, back, chest and shoulders, do light weights and lots of reps. This is a high intensity workout, it will get your heart going and will burn calories.

if you need any other help please feel free to ask.
    Cheers
    John
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    How about seeing if a PT can do a free session with you and get you started?

I do my cardio(usually running or elliptical) and then my lifting days.. I never do both in one day.. I'd about fall over and collapse.
  • 10bri10
    10bri10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you hate the weights! While they're great? Don't make yourself do them if you hate them! Find something you like to do!
    Join a Zumba Class, A spin class, go swim laps etc etc.

If you're on the treadmill try an interval workout, and same for the spin bike or elliptical. if they have an auto setting, start with that. or if there is a "hills" or "random" option on your screen, that will vary your workout as well !

Good Luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start a lifting program such as the New Rules of Lifting for women, Jaime Eason's lifting Bible, etc. doing cardio only puts you on the fast track to "skinny fat".

What happens when you start eating at a deficit, do no strength training, and lose muscle mass? Look at my before picture. :)
  • ELM1414
    ELM1414 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Buy the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, some hand weights and a mat. That's all you need to get started and you will be amazed with the results.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing. Definitely try different classes at your gym. Also review some of the weight lifting websites like http://stronglifts.com/ and http://www.livestrong.com/woman/fitness/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what are your fitness goals? you're workouts should incorporate those goals.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    For cardio, try as many things as you can to find something you get excited about.

For strength training, if budget allows, a personal trainer would help familiarize you with the equipment and exercises. It can be very intimidating otherwise (even if hubby drags you over there and tries to show you what to do).I found that the strength training education given to me by personal trainers at the gym has been priceless.