Ab workout for wimps

Hey y'all,

I am looking for an ab workout for a beginner. I am a total wimp when it comes to abs. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Replies

• knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    check out bodyrock.tv, they have a ton of ab workouts, with modifications and stuff as well, its absolutely free and most the ab videos are only 5 mins or less.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    A plank for as long as you can hold it. 1 second, 30 seconds. Whatever you can do. :)
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    When I started I would put my back on the couch (butt hanging off) with my legs bent to hold me up. Then I would crunch. Eventually I moved to the ground.

Like below but with the couch...lol. I am not gutsy enough to use an exercise ball. It will pop on me.

BallCrunch2.jpg
  • Ditto the suggestion to do planks! Also, have you considered taking up yoga? There are a lot of yoga flows that strengthen your core (Warrior II being my favorite!) and there are many beginner yoga classes and videos out there. Try downloading free audio/video files at yogadownload.com.
  • There is an ab workout app its blue with a little stick figure the work outs r only 5 mins and r super easy!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    the easiest one i have done is double leg cycling
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Crunches, situps, planks. Doesn't matter how many you can do at the start. Heck, do one of them properly. Then build up on it
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    ~ Now this made me giggle ! That would be an awesome title for a new workout video ! LOL !

Some say ABS are made in the kitchen ....
    Some say ABS are made in the gym ....

I say ABS are created equally with a healthy diet and life style ... if you get your BF% down low enough through diet and exercise, you will see those ABS you desire. A nice combination of strength training, consuming proper proteins and healthy fats and a few days of cardio can produce a nice strong core over a period of time. Patience is key.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    swiss ball crunches if you really want to do abs. they target your ab muscles better then anything laying flat on the ground.

but directly targeting your abs will never give you a six pack or help you lose any love handles. try lifting heavy, and focusing directly on legs as much as possible. squats, lunges, dead lifts, hip raises, box jumps, step ups. this will help build your legs, which contain some of the biggest muscles of your body, and that helps "eat" fat from other areas. lower body work outs target your core because you are using the core and back muscles for balance and stability.
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    bump
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    bellydance fitness abs and arms workout works mine like mad and doesn't feel hard. :) It isn't very high on amazon.com
    -Kimmy
  • kalkat
    kalkat Posts: 48
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I think I might just be a little bit excited about tackling this now! :smile: