Views on Late Night Eating

Options
Lately I have been undereating during the day and find myself with about 300 calories left by 9:00 p.m. I usually go to bed around 10 or so, so should I be eating that many calories so late at night?

Does anyone have advice on a time I should not eat after, or if not should I maybe eat something smaller at night?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Amber42803
    Options
    Unfortunately, I foresee conflicting answers to your question. The number one rule is not to starve yourself. I just recently started seeing a doctor for my weight issues, as well as utilizing this site, and I asked him the very same question, he said if you're hungry eat. But eat something filling, and small. Like a small bowl of cereal, such as Special K, or Raisin Bran...something healthy. Just to keep you from feeling like you're starving. But that was my health care physician's answer to me. It may possibly be the opposite for you. Try adding an extra (small) snack somewhere in the midst of your day. Maybe an hour or two before dinner. Remember, nothing heavy. Again, you're probably going to get conflicting answers here, but you have to do what you feel is right. Goodluck!

ALC

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    If you are hungry, I would eat a bowl of special K like Amber said. I used to do this when I would get a sweet craving in the evenings, or want something crunchy. But if you aren't hungry and you're eating at least 1200 calories I wouldn't worry about it so much, unless you are waking up in the middle of the night hungry. You could try snacking on things like walnuts or almonds throughout the day, they have a good amount of calories but are good for you, too! What does your normal day look like food wise?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been undereating during the day and find myself with about 300 calories left by 9:00 p.m. I usually go to bed around 10 or so, so should I be eating that many calories so late at night?

Does anyone have advice on a time I should not eat after, or if not should I maybe eat something smaller at night?

Thanks guys!

You shouldn't eat 2-3 hours before going to bed.

Perhaps you should try to plan out your day and spread those calories out throughout the day. Then you won't have leftover calories at the end of the day.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem only intentionaly. I know I have a prob. with snacking in the evening so I eat lightly through out the day and eat my dinner and snacks at night. Ive lost 63 llbs since may so its working for me. Though I try not to eat past 7:30-8:00pm.

Good Luck!
  • ae770
    ae770 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've actually read a few different places that your body doesn't process foods you eat at 9am any differently than ones you eat at 9pm, it's all about what you eat. A lot of people just tend to eat too much/not well when it's at night.
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    If I get started with *one* snack at night, the floodgates open and I find myself eating wayyyy more than I wanted to.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    Yeah I'd say eat some kashi cereal, if you check target they have had pretty good deals on the Kashi Lean Crunch I believe... its the one with fiber twigs in it. It sounds really weird but its about 300 calories with the milk!!!
  • weasleman42
    Options
    I don't worry about eating late or right before I go to bed. If I am hungry and have a few calories left, I eat. It works for me, but not for everyone. If it doesn't affect your sleep, then why not? One day below your calorie limit is OK, but a few in a row and your body will be starving. Good luck!
  • feistygirl09
    Options
    I personally need a snack before I go to bed. If not I lay there thinking about being hungry & cant sleep. Then I get up & eat out of control.

I think sometimes you have to find what works best for you. If you need a snack in the afternoon - plan for it. If you need a snack at bedtime - plan for it. If you need both - plan for it. I think that is the best defense for better health.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    If you're hungry shortly after your dinner, that should give you a good hint that your dinner may need some additional calories or substance. Make dinner filling and snacking at night won't be a problem.

A good alternative to a late night snack is a mug of decaf or herbal tea. Relaxing and helps you sleep.
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    Whenever I get hungry I mean really hungry late at night I'll have a kiwi or two but I usually try to not think about eating at that time and just go to sleep or watch a movie to distract my mind from it because in my case it usually isn't hunger it's just the need to eat you know the need to have something in my mouth...does that make sense...LOL! Like I usually crave things late at night and I know that it's not hunger...did I explain myself better? :ohwell: :laugh:
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    I'm switching to only leave a few calories like 50-100 for night if I need it.

I have been having trouble SLEEPING, and i wonder if eating late is doing it.

Thoughts on nightime eating & insomnia?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If I'm running first thing in the morning I have a nana right before bed.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know what time it is. You are not a Gremlin.

But some people can't sleep well on a very full stomach. Or they wake up not feeling too hungry.

But other people stay up late and wind up, if you tack sleep on, going 11 or more hours without food.

I'm a student. I stay up late. So I snack. Cottage cheese with peanut butter = orgy in your mouth.

The only thing I've heard about not eating at night that has any validity to it is what Jillian Michaels says--that eating a bunch of carbs at night can slow your fat loss because carbs suppress some hormone that contributes to fat loss and gets active when you sleep.

But I eat carbs at night and haven't gained weight.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    From my own personal experience, you can eat any time of day. What really makes a difference is your calorie deficit at the end of the day/ week.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm switching to only leave a few calories like 50-100 for night if I need it.

I have been having trouble SLEEPING, and i wonder if eating late is doing it.

Thoughts on nightime eating & insomnia?

If you're stuffed, you're not going to sleep well, but if you're pleasantly satiated, it shouldn't affect your sleep- again, my own personal experience. :smile: