Half Marathon Training

Options
I'm running my first half marathon in October. I'm slowly realizing that it is going to be here before I know it and it's making me nervous! Does anyone have any good training plans? I'm currently running between 8-12 miles a week so of course I need to increase my mileage but I'm also pretty slow! Any tips?

Replies

• 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    There are many great training programs out there. Look up Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon. The Smart Coach program through Runner's World is great! You can access it on-line or there is an app. I've used it to try for a couple of 20k races, as well as a half. Just set up my first full training program :smile:
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with using the Smart Coach training plans from Runners World.

I just ran my first half marathon last month and my running partner and I used the Galloway method (we ran 9 minutes, walked 1...after 10 miles we modified to running 4, walking 1 as I was having IT band issues) and we SURVIVED!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hal higdon. a lot of us have used his training plans. i used it for my first half (novice training) and it was great.

good luck! october won't be far away at all- i've just got my a into g and started with my marathon training which is in oct too!
  • jane987
    jane987 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm running my second half marathon in October too.... just started training!!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I havent ran a 1/2 marathon yet, just finished my first 1/4 marathon BUT i did a good job after only starting endurance training for around a month (ive always been into sprinting) and i have found that it has worked so well and i have made heaps of progress.

on my 2 long runs each week i started easy (so that i could figure out how fit i was).. starting at 35mins @ 9.5km/h. increasing by 1 minute and 0.1km/h per week until i got to 10km/h for 40mins. then i keep my pace at 10km/h and increase time by 3-5mins each week until i get to 60mins. THEN work on speeding my 10km time. BUT then i have another day dedicated to getting up to 20km. i started at 45mins at 8km/h and increase time by 5mins each week until i get to 20km and work on increasing my time from there. obviously it would be different depending on your own pace.

my program is four days running and three days weights (you need this strength for running! but i am also a weight lifter as well as a runner and always have been) monday is 20 mins of hill sprints. 30secs hard 2mins recovery walking at a high incline on the treadmill or sprinting/jogging outside the same timing. with chest and shoulders and light elliptical. wednesday is a long run up to 10km. legs and abs and light cycling. friday is 20mins sprints 30seconds hard 2mins easy jog, at 2inc. back and biceps and light elliptical. saturday is my longer run up to 20km. this has worked for me.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Look up Higdon
    tried and true plan
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    +1 to Higdon, at this point you want more easy miles not a lot of speed work (intervals, hills repeats etc...)
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's plans are definitely great, I used novice and novice 2 for my first 2 halfs.

I'm trying the FIRST (Furman) training plan this go around for my halfs in Sept and Oct. It incorporates more speedwork (similar to Higdon's novice 2) and is only 3 days a week :) A friend had great success with it, so I'm hoping it will work for me as well.
  • melissam926
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I'm really trying not to panic because I know it's all mental at this point. I'm in no sort of danger of not being ready I tend to physic myself out a lot with these things. I have an amazing support system of seasoned runners who have stepped up and taken me under their wings to make sure I don't get injured and making sure I'm doing the right stretches plus a few friends who have stepped up to run with me!

I was looking at Jeff Galloway and Hal Higdon but wasn't sure. I will look more into those plans!

Those of you that recommended the smart couch from RW did you use the paid version or not?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Look up Higdon
    tried and true plan

I always send newbies to Higdon