Good workout ideas for busy people?

Options
Hi everyone! I hope you all are doing well so far on your path to weight loss!

My lifestyle demands that I sit and write for most of the day on my computer. I'm wondering if any of you all have good suggestions for short to medium workout breaks? It would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Just do anything. Walking or running for 3 10 min breaks is equivalent to a 30 min walk or run.

My favorite 20 min workout: warm up 2 min, go 1 min as fast as you can, 2 min slow recovery. Repeat that 3 min cycle 6 times, last recovery is a cool down, so take it easy.
  • Raeca89
    Raeca89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are several ways to incorporate exercise into a busy worker's day :P
    - First and foremost, you should search online for office workouts or the short 5, 10 and 15 minute workouts. Depending on the magazines you read, they sometimes have mini-workout features too (I read Cosmo and I get at least one feature a month with a variety of workouts). Those are great and can focus on whatever area you want.
    - At work, you could try delivering handwritten memos instead of e-mails, delivering paperwork as soon as each task is done rather than all at once in the day and getting up to head to the water cooler more frequently. As for incorporating exercise into my day, I try to make a point to use stairs when I can (or at least walk up the escalator), park a little further from the store when I go shopping and take my dog out for longer, faster walks (and even jogging for a bit during them). Now, when I'm home, I take things all the way to the room they need to go when I'm finished with them rather than waiting for the next time I head in that direction (like taking dishes back to the sink when I'm done eating). Also, I have recently used a late night walk as time to catch up with my hubby while getting us both out and moving. I use it as a lil mini-date and casual workout at the same time :)
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There are several ways to incorporate exercise into a busy worker's day :P
    - First and foremost, you should search online for office workouts or the short 5, 10 and 15 minute workouts. Depending on the magazines you read, they sometimes have mini-workout features too (I read Cosmo and I get at least one feature a month with a variety of workouts). Those are great and can focus on whatever area you want.

I do mini office workouts as well... Firstly, I drink lots of water, so I have to get up from my desk a lot... When I get to the bathroom, I do 10 quick wall push ups... I know it sounds lame, but if you go to the bathroom about 5 to 8 times, that really ads up... Then I also do leg lifts while sitting at my desk, works stomach and leg muscles... Even though you think its too little, every bit counts!
  • 2012NSR
    2012NSR Posts: 51
    Options
    I would recommend Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred. http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY

20-minute workouts, each of which features, in rapid succession, short bursts of strength, cardio, and abs, and a cool-down.
  • fleurdeclaire
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful!
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I don't really have much time to workout, but I want something effective for a short period of time I go to youtube and do the TiffanyRothe Workouts! They are all 10 minutes and I love them. She has a variety of workouts, so you can do just one 10 minutes video, or you can do her warmup and a video...it's nice. You can make your workouts go from 10 minutes on up.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - I tend to spend about 12 hours a day (at least) at my desk. I try now to walk to the train station every morning and home from it everynight, means by the time I get home I've got in about 40 minutes of walking.

On days where I am really really busy the walking to and from the station may be all I get done, but I figure it is better than nothing.

On the weekend I try and push myself to do a really big walk/run and weights to make up for my busy weeks.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I do 30 Day Shred also, love it and am about to put my son to bed and to it right now lol. The workouts are actually 27 minutes, not 20 that it says in the description...
  • CatGrooms66
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv has 12 minute HIIT workouts that are amazing! They have a new workout every day and it includes cardio and weight/bodyweight training as well. You could do 2 a day spaced out even.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do 10 kettlebell swings, rest 10 seconds x 10 sets
    then Do 5 Burpees, rest 10 seconds x 10 sets.

You'll be gassed and it hits every muscle in your body

wellfitlife.me
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A lot of great ideas! I have a desk job where I have to be attached to a phone for 10 hours. I just walk around the conference table in the adjoining room and do side steps, etc. I also brought an exercise mat to work that rolls up so I can do quick exercises. Here is a link to a great little 4 minute workout to get your heart pumping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AimPOSXe7n4. I sometimes watch it before a walk to get me going faster.