Wheat Belly

Options
2»

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How do y'all deal with not having bread?? I love bread/tortillas/pasta/cereal...I mean how do eat fajitas or a PBJ sandwich???
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    How do y'all deal with not having bread?? I love bread/tortillas/pasta/cereal...I mean how do eat fajitas or a PBJ sandwich???

Quite easily once I realised it was just a superfluous carbohydrate delivery vehicle with very little flavour or nutritional value ;)

I made tortillas for the family the other week, I just had the innards.

I don't miss grains one little bit.
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Eat fajitas without the tortilla. With the ~120 calories you save, you can eat a lot more meat, veggies, and guacamole! Plus protein and healthy carbs are proven to make you feel full longer without the resulting blood sugar crash.

As far as PB&J sandwiches, well, I don't eat those because they are so high in sugar and I avoid peanuts in general. But I suppose you could just have it on a slice or two of gluten-free bread.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I love tacos so I use veggies with big leaves (lettuce/cabbage) instead of shells. There are also lots of gluten free/wheat free breads available too. If I eat pasta it's made of quinoa, which is delicious and has protein in it. Corn and rice are also popular.

Plus, some would argue that 'real' tortillas are made from corn masa, not wheat, although I think that's a regional thing.

I find traditional cereals disgusting so I have never tried replacing them. I do have a "cereal" that's a mix of chia/hemp hearts and buckwheat, although I just mix it in with my veggies/smoothies/whatever else I eat so it's not like a 'milk and wheat flake' type cereal.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion on the book, since I haven't read it. I just want to jump in and say that every single food we eat has been genetically modified. Apples, with the exception of crabapples, do not occur in the wild. Nectarines are not natural. Farm cattle are not the same as wild cattle. Heck, the dogs people eat in Korea are domesticated dogs, not wolves. Genetic modification is just a highly sped-up version of the selective breeding that humans have been doing for milennia.

Your statement is not correct, but you're not alone -- a lot of people are mistaken about what GMO actually means.

GMO does NOT equal hybridization.

Genetically modified plants have been modified to withstand heavy-duty pesticides.
    GMO crops can be and are sprayed with RoundUp. Which we then eat. Pretty sure I don't want my family ingesting RoundUp.

Apples aren't hybridized; they're grafted. And dogs aren't hybridized; they're selectively bred. Just like genetically modified grains are chosen for pesticide resistance so that they can be better protected against insects and fungi, yielding better crop yields and preventing famines.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think the major complain people have against GMO is that it's often controlled by corporations (like Monsanto) who do not have a good track record with respecting agriculture.
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just finished this book. I found all of his info on "visceral fat" interesting. HERE IS A PICTURE of visceral abdominal fat if anyone is interested: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM03913

One interesting thing, for the past 2 days, I have not had any wheat. My eyelids are always a bit swollen, from what I thought was just seasonal allergies, and today they look completely different. So I'm wondering if I do have some type of intolerance or disagreement with wheat.

That said, I am super cranky! I miss it. I may continue this to see how I feel for a week or so....
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    I have been diagnosed wheat/gluten intolerant for nearly a year and I have to say it's not for those who want to give it a whirl. Those kind of people kinda bug me as it effects those of us who are bound to this way of eating. :grumble:
    I went to a restaurant the other week with some friends and the waiter rolled his eyes at me when I said I was Gluten intolerant, he said "oh not another dieter" :explode:
    I ordered my meal a salad, which appeared fine until I ate it, then whilst talking to my friends it started, I got so itchy, my heart was racing and the tummy pain was awful. My friend called the waiter over and demanded to know what was going on, he admitted that the chef had put a bread roll on the plate of food, so he just took it off...OMG if I could of moved I woulda killed him.
    Down side I was ill all weekend....Up side I didn't have to pay and the waiter apologised, explaining that he just thought this whole GF thing was the latest diet to hit town :noway:
    So for those who do try it please please please take it seriously and spread the word that it is a health issue not some fad :smile:
  • jessgrey2
    Options
    I have been diagnosed wheat/gluten intolerant for nearly a year and I have to say it's not for those who want to give it a whirl. Those kind of people kinda bug me as it effects those of us who are bound to this way of eating. :grumble:
    I went to a restaurant the other week with some friends and the waiter rolled his eyes at me when I said I was Gluten intolerant, he said "oh not another dieter" :explode:
    I ordered my meal a salad, which appeared fine until I ate it, then whilst talking to my friends it started, I got so itchy, my heart was racing and the tummy pain was awful. My friend called the waiter over and demanded to know what was going on, he admitted that the chef had put a bread roll on the plate of food, so he just took it off...OMG if I could of moved I woulda killed him.
    Down side I was ill all weekend....Up side I didn't have to pay and the waiter apologised, explaining that he just thought this whole GF thing was the latest diet to hit town :noway:
    So for those who do try it please please please take it seriously and spread the word that it is a health issue not some fad :smile:

Sorry for your restaurant experience that is horrible.

Have you read the book? The MD who wrote it discusses how wheat can adversely affect many people, even those without full fledged wheat allergies. It's a good read, although a bit technical.

His theories are research based and he provides references in the book. It seems that many people can benefit from eliminating wheat from their diet, as a lifestyle change, not exactly a "fad diet" per say.
  • jessgrey2
    Options
    I just discovered Dr Davis has a blog, here are success stories with photos if anyone is interested: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/success-stories/
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options

Sorry for your restaurant experience that is horrible.

Have you read the book? The MD who wrote it discusses how wheat can adversely affect many people, even those without full fledged wheat allergies. It's a good read, although a bit technical.

His theories are research based and he provides references in the book. It seems that many people can benefit from eliminating wheat from their diet, as a lifestyle change, not exactly a "fad diet" per say.

I haven't been able to find it here but really want to read it =)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You know, I've been fighting wheat allergies all of my life and recently made the decision to totally eliminate it. I've never felt better. My headaches/migraines have vanished. My reactions were skin based. I think it's interesting that someone mentioned their eyes being swollen. I had the same issue and recently, I've noticed that has vanished as well. My mom even mentioned the other day how nice my skin has been looking and my belly seems flatter. Ironically, I've actually found at least three friends who are gluten free but who had never mentioned it to me. It was a complete surprise. I don't know if they never mentioned it because they were afraid to be criticized or they just never realized I had the same issues.

I know some people say it's a fad, but some of us are gluten intolerant. The items that are now on the market make it easier to be gluten free. I eat pastas, breads, waffles, cereals...all sorts of things. I just don't eat any made from wheat. I've slowly been learning how to cook with grains that I'd never used. I even discovered recently how to make a gluten free angel food cake. :)

I do know there are some vitamins you need to take when you go gluten free but I believe that's because we're used to eating gluten enriched breads with vitamins built into them. I now take vitamin B6 and B12. I take regular vitamin supplements with minerals and try to eat more of a variety of veggies and fruits. So far, I've never felt better. I'm eating right - eating more and losing weight. I can live with gluten free easily and it's not a true hardship. If anything, this permanent lifestyle change is turning me into a cook. Grin.
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    Truth.
    People that say it is false have obviously never cut out wheat....:grumble:

Edit because I forgot the word "say" :laugh: