Major slipping

Options
I seem to have the hardest time keeping to eating healthy in the evenings and on the weekends.

From breakfast to mid-day snack I'm fine. I eat a max of about 900 calories up until then. That leaves me with about 700 available for dinner. For one I know that's too much. I know that during breakfast I eat around 300 calories max. Lunch is around another 300 calories (snacks are around 150) so I know that dinner can be achieved for around the same. Is it once I leave work all motivation to be "good" goes out the window? I know in my head that I need to eat better but for some reason I just can't seem to stop myself from stopping off at Subway, McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. for a quick bite. Or going home and cooking something that is way outside what I should be eating.

Weekends are worse. I wake up and just sort of eat when I get time. The schedule goes out the window. I skip snacks. I run to fast food or something else quick to eat. BLAH!

Does anyone else have these issues? What can I do to fix it?

Replies

• silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try planning ahead... enter everything for the day first thing in the morning and make it a goal to stick to it. I have trouble with the weekends, also, but it really has helped me to #1 - not have the temptation available in the house and #2 - plan out what I'm eating all day. We don't eat out very often for monetary reasons - maybe if you look at how much you spend eating fast food, it might curb your appetite for that - it did for me! :laugh:
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Try planning ahead... enter everything for the day first thing in the morning and make it a goal to stick to it. I have trouble with the weekends, also, but it really has helped me to #1 - not have the temptation available in the house and #2 - plan out what I'm eating all day. We don't eat out very often for monetary reasons - maybe if you look at how much you spend eating fast food, it might curb your appetite for that - it did for me! :laugh:

It probably would if I didn't eat off the dollar menu. It is actually cheaper for me to eat fast food (or out) than to go shopping at the grocery store. I've done the math and it's just frustrating.:laugh:
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I do great during the day but evenings and weekends are hard for me. I plan out my meals each morning but sometimes when I get home I am so hungry that I just start eating and ruin all the good work I had done during the day. Weekends are bad for me too because my husband and son are always wanting munchie stuff during the day and then a big dinner at night so I end up munching with them instead of sticking to eating healthy stuff. :grumble:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    HOT TEA!!! In the evening, I find it makes a difference and keeps my hands and mouth busy because I cant just gulp it down. I keep reheating it if it gets too cool.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast at all, nor lunch most days. And I'd be starving by the time I got home and I'd eat all evening. So when I decided to change things up, I began eating a big breakfast - even though I thought that eating more at breakfast was counter-intuitive to losing weight.

But now I find that if I eat a good breakfast and Lunch that I'm much less hungry in the evenings. On most days (not including TOM) I'm completely done eating by 7pm - I don't even want anything else because I've eaten well all day.

I know it sounds crazy, and I'd not have believed it either. But now when I wake up I'm hungry, and I eat a good breakfast - I was never hungry at breakfast before.

Just a thought - your mileage may vary.
  • IDefineMe
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think my problem is that I need to fit in an afternoon snack so that I am not starving by dinner time. I think weekends and evenings are hard for me, too, because I am with my naturally thin husband (:sick: ). :laugh:
    I came home last night after doing so well all day long and ate 700 calories before I went to bed. :noway: I know when I'm doing it that I am eating too much, but I do it anyway. For me it's just a matter of saying no to myself (sigh) which I don't like to do. :wink: I wish I could be more help, but I am in the same boat.
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    I really try not to have unhealthy things in my house, and try to buy preportioned things to help portion control. I also try tno to carry cash because I am more likely to splurge on subway if I have $5 in my wallet, but would never put something that small on a credit card. Also, if I do need to buy lunch, I only go to subway since I know I can eat there and be totally happy for 340 calories.
  • IDefineMe
    Options

That's a really good idea! I am going to try that. I work better with a plan anyway so it might help me.
  • IDefineMe
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast at all, nor lunch most days. And I'd be starving by the time I got home and I'd eat all evening. So when I decided to change things up, I began eating a big breakfast - even though I thought that eating more at breakfast was counter-intuitive to losing weight.

But now I find that if I eat a good breakfast and Lunch that I'm much less hungry in the evenings. On most days (not including TOM) I'm completely done eating by 7pm - I don't even want anything else because I've eaten well all day.

I know it sounds crazy, and I'd not have believed it either. But now when I wake up I'm hungry, and I eat a good breakfast - I was never hungry at breakfast before.

Just a thought - your mileage may vary.

I, too, believe in the power of a good breakfast. My mom, a nurse, says that if you don't wake up hungry, you are eating too late at night, and I've found that to be true.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    hmm,
    i notice that i feel hungry when my mind (and hands) are idle. so i try to keep myself busy with something (house chores, washing the car, working on family scrapbooks, etc). when one is busy, one does not think too much about food :) It helped me, maybe it'll help you?
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know in my head that I need to eat better but for some reason I just can't seem to stop myself from stopping off at Subway, McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. for a quick bite. Or going home and cooking something that is way outside what I should be eating.

Think about exactly what you are doing when you are shopping at these fast food restaurants. Sometimes having a moral stand is exactly the kind of motivation we need to change our habits. When we buy fast food from places like McDonalds, we are "voting with our dollars" for everything that those chains represent: inhumane factory farming of animals whose methane gas is a greenhouse gas worse than c02 and contributes to global warming plus their "waste" runoff seeps into the ground water and rivers and streams where it pollutes and eventually ends up our drinking water (along with all those nasty antibiotics and hormones the cows are injected with), plus the workers are paid a crappy wage and most the money that the restaurant makes goes to the corporate big wigs who really don't need it and who don't reinvest much of that money in charity or their communities. The food is processed and shipped thousands of miles before getting to the chain, releasing CO2 into the air. The cows are fed corn, heavily subsidized by the government, where small farmers can no longer compete against large agriculture farms, crops are heavily sprayed with herbicides, pesticides, and are genetically modified. Since cows evolved to eat grass, the corn diet causes e coli to grown in the cows stomach, which the meat industry remedies with tons of antibiotics, hormones, and ammonia filled product that they mix with the meat during processing. Then there is the issue of the enormous amount of waste caused by these places in our throwaway economy, everything wrapped in paper, bagged, wrapped in plastic, put in plastic cups, all meant to be thrown away and most will be. Everytime we buy something from these places, we are saying "It's ok, I support what you are doing here is some money to keep on doing it."

Shopping healthy at home can be more expensive at first, but if you do it smart, you'll find that it can end up being quite cheap, especially when you do things like buy in bulk (dry beans - you can make a lot at once and freeze them, brown rice, couscous and other grains, oatmeal, flour for baking bread which is way cheaper than buying from a store and tastes better - you can make a lot on weekend and freeze you'll have bread for weeks, nuts from the bulk section are way cheaper, cereal, etc) , print coupons and cut them from the newspaper, buying produce from your local farmers market, and avoid wasting food, ie if you think you won't use it before it goes bad, freeze it or don't buy it yet.

Plus think of all the money you'll save avoiding costly medical problems down the line!