Fit Bit? Body Bugg? BodyMedia? Nike Plus?

Options
Fit Bit? Body Bugg? BodyMedia? Nike Plus? Anyone? Do they work? Are they compatiable with MFP? Reccomendations? Issues? Discounts?

Replies

• xPersocom
    xPersocom Posts: 12
    Options
    FITBIT! I use it every single day, and its amazing. It tracks your calories no matter what you're doing; sitting, sleeping, walking, running, biking...etc. It also tracks your steps, floors climbed, miles travelled, and gives you a daily "active score" depending on how active you are. It comes with a wrist band to wear and put it on to sleep and it tracks your sleep efficiency (which I love) - plus the wristband is really comfortable. You get a chart to tell you exactly how many calories you burned at what time of day, a custom-made plan for your calorie intake, etc. It also gives you goals to reach in each day/week so you get to compete against yourself to see if you can reach those goals. ;) There's also a pie chart that tells you what percentage of your day was sedetary, lightly active, moderately active, and very active. It gives you a monitor that'll let you know if you're below the amount of calories your goal is for today, in the zone, or above (and how much more you need to eat/burn to get in the zone).
    It is compatible with MFP. If you're logged in on both sites you can set them to connect with each other, and whatever food & exercise you log on MFP will be transfered over to Fitbit. I love it.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia Fit and while it is not "compatible" with MFP in the sense that data from system flows to the other (OK, yes, I work in IT!), I take the calories burned data from my BMF and enter it into MFP. I could also take the calories eaten data and input it into BMF, but cannot see the value in maintaining this information in two locations.
    The greatest value I guest from using both is that the BMF is much more accurate and specific to me in terms of calories burnt. For example - if I go a bit harder on my cycle commute to work (i.e. same route, same distance), my time is less but my calorie burn in BMF is higher because I have worked at a higher intensity.

Hope that helps!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    FITBIT! I use it every single day, and its amazing. It tracks your calories no matter what you're doing; sitting, sleeping, walking, running, biking...etc. It also tracks your steps, floors climbed, miles travelled, and gives you a daily "active score" depending on how active you are. It comes with a wrist band to wear and put it on to sleep and it tracks your sleep efficiency (which I love) - plus the wristband is really comfortable. You get a chart to tell you exactly how many calories you burned at what time of day, a custom-made plan for your calorie intake, etc. It also gives you goals to reach in each day/week so you get to compete against yourself to see if you can reach those goals. ;) There's also a pie chart that tells you what percentage of your day was sedetary, lightly active, moderately active, and very active. It gives you a monitor that'll let you know if you're below the amount of calories your goal is for today, in the zone, or above (and how much more you need to eat/burn to get in the zone).
    It is compatible with MFP. If you're logged in on both sites you can set them to connect with each other, and whatever food & exercise you log on MFP will be transfered over to Fitbit. I love it.

This!!! I've had a fitbit for about a month now and I'm lost without it. On top of the activity and sleep tracking my favorite part is that it syncs with MFP. LOVE LOVE LOVE... You can find it online for less than 100 dollars and there's no monthly subscriptions you have to pay for.
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • red1123
    red1123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the Nike+ Fuelband but I did have the Nike+ sensor and I only used it for a month or so before ditching it for a Garmin Forerunner GPS. I never much cared for either the device or the web interface (though that was two years ago - I'm sure they've improved it a lot). It, like the Garmin, was really only usable when I was running, not for everyday activity. I do think the Fuelband works all the time, but I didn't want something I had to wear on my wrist.

I debated between the BodyMedia Fit and the FitBit. For me the fact that the BodyMedia has to be work on the arm and would be visible much of the time when I wore sleeveless or short sleeved clothes was a deal breaker. I also didn't care for the $6/month you have to pay for the website to make the unit useable.

I wound up purchasing a FitBit which I've really liked. It definitely motivates me to move more and I don't even notice I'm wearing it. I like the Fitbit website and the fact that Fitbit integrates with MFP and other sites like earndit.
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice comparison of the FitBit vs Nike...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skoSNA_wBKc
  • toagirl
    toagirl Posts: 41
    Options
    Bump:smile:
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kaklos
    kaklos Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I was already leaning towards the FitBit, but I think it may be my next TMFM gift!

Good luck everyone!
  • mandy2128
    mandy2128 Posts: 77
    Options
    I have the bodybugg and really like it. :)
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So I have done some reading up on the fitbit and bodymedia. Can someone please tell me, from what I gather, isn't the fitbit just a "glorified" step counter? It calculates calories burned based on steps and your stats your put in, but there is no way to determine actual burn as in say a HRM, right? and that is why it would not be real accurate for some exercises like cycling and ST.
    The BM does measure HR, right so it would be more accurate? course the downside is that it is huge and more $$.

Would love to get something to help me determine how much I am burning everyday, so I could know my "magic" number to consume. I lean towards the BM, but not really jazzed up about wearing a huge thing on my arm telling the world I am loosing weight, lol. and yes the $$ and annual fee to operate are 2 other cons for me. Is the BodyBugg pretty much the same as a BodyMedia? I think so...
    Teresa
  • penquin927
    penquin927 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    FYI ... Bodybug is made by BodyMedia but the Bodybug has a few less features. Older version of the BodyMedia is GoWear Fit.

BODYMEDIA .... I used the BodyMedia for two years and loved all the details I got with it. It measured my calories burned all day, steps taken and within those calories it could also figure out when I was doing physical activity and if that activity wasmoderate or vigorous. All of these measurements are measured by your body temperature and the sensors on the armband. It also measured your sleep since getting enough rest is very important to your overall health. I was a huge advocate for this device and loved it and never had any issues at all. It was amazing to see the calories burned on days that I was sick and laid in bed versus the days I was kickin' butt in the gym. The BodyMedia does not measure your heartrate as a HRM does so if you are looking to do zone training you would still want to have a HRM but I am not sure if any of these tools you have mentioned do. OK the Nike+ will if you buy the additional Polar HRM strap that syncs with it.

BodyMedia and I finally had our departure about 2-3 months ago. It was hard but really I learned my calorie burn and how my body works. I am still active and now I use MFP to log my food. I have gone to the Nike+ GPS Sportswatch since running has become my new passion and competing in races. So distance, time and pace are my new numbers I want to see. Of course I still want to lose weight which is why I still stay active and keep my food journal on MFP.

Remember that losing weight is 80% diet so watchiing your food intake is the most important. Staying active and strength training is also important. Keep moving and keep logging that food. I can say that the BodyMedia got me jumpstarted and I lost 30 lbs using the tool which let me reach my goal of completing my first half marathon.
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia FIT armband and I love it. It is a little more in depth than the FitBit... Like, it doesn't just read steps and movement and then do an estimate. It uses 4 different sensors to tell what's really going on... for instance, when I gave blood, all afternoon after and a little the next day, my resting calorie burn was WAY higher as it read my body replacing my lost blood, same with a high intensiy weight lifting session, it read my body's afterburn effect for the next few hours. It's pretty awesome. I love that it tracks my sleep efficiency as well. Just an all around awesome little gadget!

Oh! also, I work in an office so I have to wear it around my calf at work and the reading is just the same as on my arm.

The only downside is that it lets you track your food intake, but their food database is frustratingly sparse, but I track my food on here anyway and then just plug in cals. at the end of the day on there.
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia FIT armband and I love it. It is a little more in depth than the FitBit... Like, it doesn't just read steps and movement and then do an estimate. It uses 4 different sensors to tell what's really going on... for instance, when I gave blood, all afternoon after and a little the next day, my resting calorie burn was WAY higher as it read my body replacing my lost blood, same with a high intensiy weight lifting session, it read my body's afterburn effect for the next few hours. It's pretty awesome. I love that it tracks my sleep efficiency as well. Just an all around awesome little gadget!

Oh! also, I work in an office so I have to wear it around my calf at work and the reading is just the same as on my arm.

The only downside is that it lets you track your food intake, but their food database is frustratingly sparse, but I track my food on here anyway and then just plug in cals. at the end of the day on there.

This ^^
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Love my fit bit! It has really increased my activity level!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    bump
  • athminbri
    athminbri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike Fuel Band, my husband has the Fitbit. I use the band because I have lost like 12 pedometers and the fuel band looks like a bangel bracelet and is quite comfortable. The Fitbit is defnetly more for the money than the Fuel Band, but the fuel band works best for me. I do 2 -3 10 to 20 minute walks a day and my goal is to incorporate more activity in my life all day long.

both sync via blue tooth. The fitbit does measure how well you sleep, so that is helpful if you are having sleep problems… funny thing, since I have lost weight this year and exercise more, I am sleeping through the night very well.

The fitbit goes much longer without needing recharged. My husband loves his.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit since Oct '11 and have lost 16 lbs. I love it. I wear it everyday. It makes me realize when I get too sedentary and encourages an increase in activity. It updates its website automatically and it interfaces with MFP. While it is sort of expensive ($100) it is worth every penny. Get one