Tips for "The Plank"

Options
I have been set a challenge to do the plank exercise for 2 minutes as part of a drive to improve core strength in my cycling group.
I do pilates so was thinking it wouldn't be too bad. But it is!
Its not my core that hurts at all, but my arms. I can barely crack 30 seconds before my arms give out.
Does anyone have any tips to help improve my arm strength (I've always been a bit pathetic in the upper body strength department) specifically for the plank? I have 4 weeks to make some miraculus improvement.

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Push ups maybe? I can easily do over 2min plank and i've always done push ups. Are you resting on your forearms too? That's easier and allows you to get the core benefits without going all arms on it.
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Push ups maybe? I can easily do over 2min plank and i've always done push ups. Are you resting on your forearms too? That's easier and allows you to get the core benefits without going all arms on it.

This :grumble:
  • cherub159
    cherub159 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ah... Push ups... Can't do those either. Not real ones anyway, only the woman's knee ones.
    I was trying to move a cabinet the other day with my mum and was in so much pain because it was "so heavy" but she found it just find. I'm just pathetically weak in the arms. Legs however are very strong.

Edit to add: Yes on forearms. How would I go about improving my push ups then
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do plank resting on my forearms.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Start with modified push ups until you could do real ones. Or you could just keep doing planks in sets. So start with 8 sets of 15 seconds and that's two minutes. Overtime just make the time longer and do fewer sets.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Ah... Push ups... Can't do those either. Not real ones anyway, only the woman's knee ones.
    I was trying to move a cabinet the other day with my mum and was in so much pain because it was "so heavy" but she found it just find. I'm just pathetically weak in the arms. Legs however are very strong.

The only way to improve with push ups is just to keep doing them....even if you start with just one real push up, then next time try for 2..I could hardly do 1 when I stared exercising, now I can do 20 (and could probably do more if I remembered to do them everyday!), you just have to keep pushing, you will get stronger!
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I have found the only way to improve these activities is to do them more often. I am not at all a fan of push-ups because, like you, I am very weak in the upper body. Having said that, I don't find planks to be an upper body issue. Make sure you are tightening EVERYTHING.....legs, butt, abs and do not let your belly drop. That is when I find it harder on my arms. Set a daily goal to increase your hold by maybe 5 seconds or so. You can do this!! (I REALLY need to take my own advice here and do them too!!)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yep, just keep doing them, longer each time. I'm also weak in the upper body, but after 5 months of weight training I can do real pushups and 3 x 2 minute planks. You'll get there. Make sure you hold your abs, engage your glutes too, it's all part of the core.
  • cherub159
    cherub159 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, these are really helpful suggestions. I'm off to bed now in NZ, but will check back in tomorrow :)
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    you could always alternate to side plank taking the pressure off but still hitting the core namely mr oblique, still give you the core workout you need, then build the time up
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Maybe do planks on your forearms and while in plank pose, every 15 or 30 seconds (or however long you can hold it), go from full plank, then plank on your knees, then back to a full plank. That might help you build up the strength.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Start by doing plank with elbows resting on an exercise ball and gradually move it to the floor once you master a few minutes on the ball. Keep your shoulders back and relaxed so the tension is not in your upper body...keep working on it, I promise you will get better at it and it's such an important exercise to do!
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options

The only way to improve with push ups is just to keep doing them....even if you start with just one real push up, then next time try for 2..I could hardly do 1 when I stared exercising, now I can do 20 (and could probably do more if I remembered to do them everyday!), you just have to keep pushing, you will get stronger!

Yes, just keep doing the push ups. Even when you do the push ups you are engaging your entire body not just pushing with your arms. Your abs, back and legs should be engaged. Also make sure you are using proper form even if you do them on your knees. Do all kinds of push up variations (I guess you can look up on YouTube). Also when you are doing the plank your entire body should be engaged and you really shouldn't feel it too much in your arms. Most of the work should be done by your core. Try the side plank and also a reverse plank. Work your body from every angle possible.
    Good luck.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Yes, just keep doing the push ups. Even when you do the push ups you are engaging your entire body not just pushing with your arms. Your abs, back and legs should be engaged. Also make sure you are using proper form even if you do them on your knees. Do all kinds of push up variations (I guess you can look up on YouTube). Also when you are doing the plank your entire body should be engaged and you really shouldn't feel it too much in your arms. Most of the work should be done by your core. Try the side plank and also a reverse plank. Work your body from every angle possible.
    Good luck.

What's reverse plank??
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options

Good luck.

What's reverse plank??
    http://photos.myfitnesspalllc.netdna-cdn.com/images/photos/949/657/23949657_2446_thumb.jpg
    Trying to post a photo of reverse plank. If it doesn't work you can look in my profile photos. It's just like a regular plank but you are facing the ceiling and your back is facing the floor. You can be on your hands or on your elbows.