Someone told me you won't lose fat with excercise.

Options

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you this is probably reading Gary Taubes, and they're wrong. Weight loss = calories in vs. calories out, and exercise is definitely calories out.

not if you eat over your calories. If you eat more than you burn then you gain.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you this is probably reading Gary Taubes, and they're wrong. Weight loss = calories in vs. calories out, and exercise is definitely calories out.

Yes, yes, calories are still important (something nobody disputes) but what if the composition of the meals fundamentally affects your ability to either burn fat or put it on? Just maybe, huh? Worth a little investigation? Maybe? Or do we all just treat this as a maths problem? And struggle, feeling deprived, stressed and malnourished ...

80% nutrition, 20% exercise ... Exercise is important, nutrition is critical.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    <snip>BUT more than anything else enjoy the process ... it's about being alive, not punishing yourself (diet & exercise) so you have a 'body' that impresses a bunch of people who don't even care about you!

Amen, I like your blog, nice pics, almost makes me want to move back the UK :)

Have you read The Primal Blueprint?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    they are right

calorie defict = weight loss

you dont have to exercise to eat at a calorie deficit

also, you can exercise until you are blue in the face, but if you eat at a calorie surplus, you will still gain body fat

Exactly
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    you dont have to exercise to lose weight, but it helps speed up the process and helps you have that tone fit look ;)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Outside of the weight-loss equation. Exercise is just incredibly important for your health.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    They told me working out will not cause you to lose weight, and that it is 99% diet; eating fewer calories than you burn regularly. Which seems like it goes against what this website says, to me? If it were all diet, my lazy vegitarian butt would be skinny by now.

You need a balance of both exercise and healthy diet to lose body fat. They go together!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard diet is 70% and the more mucsle you gain....the more calories you will burn. If you keep your diet in check you will lose weight....with weight training will help you burn more....and cardio will help you live longer : )
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You can "lose" a pound by not eating a large pizza or by running 35 miles. Most of us would much rather just not eat the pizza, so approaching it from the kitchen perspective makes more sense.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sure you can lose weight with diet alone, and you might even lose it faster - in the beginning. However, once you reach your goal, you still wont be happy with yourself. If you want that healthy, toned and defined body, it requires a good blend of cardio and strength training.

Healthy, well built muscles burn more calories than untoned and unhealthy ones do... so the more you workout the more weight you eventually start to lose.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, calories are still important (something nobody disputes) but what if the composition of the meals fundamentally affects your ability to either burn fat or put it on? Just maybe, huh? Worth a little investigation? Maybe? Or do we all just treat this as a maths problem? And struggle, feeling deprived, stressed and malnourished ...

Let me guess, you read Gary Taubes.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that without exercise, I can never make my goal. A lot of days, I am at my calorie max by the time I get home from work. Then I run, and I get to eat dinner. lol But really, it makes it easier to stay within your allotment. Plus everything everyone else is saying...
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is that "Dark Side of Fat Loss" guy. It's garbage.
  • ZinniaBean
    Options
    A body that is more muscular will burn more calories at rest, and when active, than the same size body that is fatter. As someone else pointed out, there is a fat burning range of exercise - between 65% and 85% of your maximum heart rate. Exercise makes it easier to follow your weight loss plan because it enables you to eat a little more - not a lot more, but a little more. Exercise also releases endorphins which help you to feel more energized and happier. So it helps you keep a positive attitude. When you workout, it is committing yourself, working to achieve your body goals. The more action you invest in attaining your goal, the more likely it is you will also pay attention to your nutrition to achieve your goal. It doesn't really matter what percentage diet and exercise is, what matters is that you use them together to make this work for you.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important for health and completely unnecessary for weight loss. Most people trying to lose weight are also wanting to be more active and healthy.

It's a lifestyle choice, not a weight loss choice.

That being said, walking 30 minutes a day will (usually) give you more health benefits than losing weight and not exercising.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You can "lose" a pound by not eating a large pizza or by running 35 miles. Most of us would much rather just not eat the pizza, so approaching it from the kitchen perspective makes more sense.

i think perhaps a 35m run equates to a bit more than a pizza. . .
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think you'd have to burn off 3500 calories to lose 1lb of fat , I don't burn off that many in a week cycling 10 miles per day , 5 days per week
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I think you'd have to burn off 3500 calories to lose 1lb of fat , I don't burn off that many in a week cycling 10 miles per day , 5 days per week
    You need to cycle faster then. I use 1400 calories a day cycling 8mile to work and back.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think we all burn calories at different rates on bikes based on our general level of fitness and how efficient we are when we cycle. Also, the bike we are riding makes a difference. A heart rate monitor can give you a better idea of what you burn on the bike. Currently I use 40 calories per mile. So for 50 miles, I burn 2000 calories, and I average 14.8 mi/hr.

I can't imagine how fast I'd have to go to burn 1400 calories in 16 miles.