Not Counting Anymore

Options
Has anyone else come to this?

I have been a religious calorie-counter for 10 years and last week I just stopped. I made myself a plate of food that I was "supposed" to eat because it fit into my calories for the day and realized I wasn't hungry and shouldn't eat anything after all. I started to recollect all the times I have done this - eating because some external cue was telling me I should - and decided it has been too many times for too long. So, I threw out the meal (without guilt) and skipped dinner. I wasn't hungry. The next morning I was ravenous and had some oatmeal. I stopped when I felt full and left a small portion in the bowl (not going to finish if I'm full). I started eating whenever I wanted, stopping whenever I wanted, and eating whatever I wanted. It turns out, I eat a lot less this way! I lost 2 pounds and felt much less stressed since I wasn't agonizing over food all the time. I could even go out to a restaurant with friends without looking at the menu for nutrition info first! I just made a wise choice (light minestrone soup) and let myself have a bite or two of bread. I wasn't hungry for dessert. I can definitely live this way - it's a lifestyle change and I feel like I am already at my goal, even though my weight isn't there yet :)

Replies

• sylvieg1rl
    Options
    It's very easy to fall into the obsession of calorie counting...
    For me, I am a compulsive overeater / food addict, and I am in recovery now working the steps..
    Within my disease, though, I tend to get very obsessive over things, especially numbers (weighing myself, counting calories, calories burned, etc).. It got to a point I had to put all of my do-dads away and stop altogether, just to rid myself of the obsession..
    It's still there, but now I feel I can count calories mindfully.. And so far, have been doing so..

For me, it's a useful tool to count calories - because it helps me be mindful of what I am putting in my mouth and portioning, rather than allowing myself to overeat or binge (even on healthy foods).. So, it 'can' be a useful tool once it's being used in the right way, but in your case, bravo for putting the calorie counting away.. I am still not at a point where I can feel my hunger properly, although I have had some instances where I was able to and it felt wonderful to push away a meal when I was half finished it, and say I am done.. Because at one time, I would eat that full plate and then some, just to see the empty plate, not because I was mindfully recognizing I was still hungry..

Funny, how food can be so stressful when we let it be!
    Anyway, all of this to say good for you - you are listening to your body & needs and that is working for you, Fabulous!
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting I just know...kinda how to eat better and to work out everyday:)