unable to break weight loss plateaus

Options
I had reached a plateau way back during March last week. As suggested by experts, i increased the calorie intake and started to consume at least 4000 calories more daily.
I am continuing to do the excercise as before (unable to increase the timings or try something hard due to lumbar spondilitis problems(back pain) ), but there is no weight loss in the past 2 months.
I am very much disappointed by this. Surprisingly, even though i have increased calories, the weight has not gone up.
Please go through my diary and suggest what should I do to break the plateau once agian.

Replies

• megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you tried zit zag eating? Eat high cals one day the next lower cals. Try that for a couple weeks.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    **zig
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? You are still only netting 1300 or 1400 calories. That is nowhere near enough consumption for someone that needs to lose 75kgs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    4000 more/day, I am surprised you are not gaining weight at that level of intake. Are you not logging all of your food, as you are not getting 4000 total, let alone 4000 extra.

Based on your diary you are not eating nearly enough. Since you are a man, I would suggest eating a minimum of 1600 net. This means eating 1600 on days you don't workout and 1600 plus what you burn on days you do. So if you burn 400 from exercise, eat a minimum of 2000 (1600+400)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think there is a typo in your post, 4000 calories???? The big thing I notice is that you eat a very low amount of protein and very low calories (i'm seeing days of 1300 calories?). What is your age, height weight and goal weight?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You're eating under your basal metabolic rate. Eat 2,000 calories a day and exercise on top of that. Continue choosing healthy foods.

And Eric - looking at the food diary, they meant 400 more, not 4000.

Edited to add: Looking at their posting history, the OP is 250lbs and 5'8"
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    your not eatting enough up your cals more check your BMR ( example as a woman and 5foot 5inches tall my bmr is 1519 cals just to live you as a male are eatting less than I as a woman need to live dose that make sence for a man to need less? )
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    5' 8" and 250 lbs? You are definitely not eating enough. Nor enough protein. Go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and calculate correctly what you should be eating. Get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and drink 125 oz of water a day. Your body most likely thinks its starving and is holding onto the weight. Eat and lose :)
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    At your current weight of 240 lbs. your BMR is estimated to be between about 2000 and 2160 depending on which on-line calculator is used.

My first suggestion would be to set your daily calorie goal to about 2000 from the 1450 that it is at right now and try to stick to close to that number for at least the next 3 or 4 weeks and see how it works for you. After that you can decide if you want to make any further adjustments.

I also noticed that most of the time you seem to be way under your daily requirement of protein set by MFP (it is hard to know for sure how much protein you are eating because you quite often use the "quick add calories" option and a couple of your foods don't show the macro breakdown but even factoring that in it looks like you are quite low on protein most days). If you set your MFP calorie goal up to 2000 your minimum daily requirement will go up to 100 g per day. Try to ensure you are meeting or exceeding this daily goal. I see you frequently eat chicken and fish (both excellent sources of protein) so one of the simpler things you can do would be to increase your portions of chicken and fish and any other meats you eat. There are other good sources of protein if you want more suggestions about how to increase it.

Don't worry if you are unable to exercise much. Weight loss is 80 to 90 percent diet anyway and many people (myself included) lose weight successfully with little or no added exercise. If your back improves you can always try to incorporate more exercise as your weight decreases.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Eat lots and lots of protein.....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    5' 8" and 250 lbs? You are definitely not eating enough. Nor enough protein. Go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and calculate correctly what you should be eating. Get 1 gram of protein per pound of leanbody weight and drink 125 oz of water a day. Your body most likely thinks its starving and is holding onto the weight. Eat and lose :)

fixed that for ya. Not total weight - lean body weight.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You eat less than I do and I'm a 130 pound girl. So I'm going to agree with most posts in this thread. Eat more.
  • iloveseattle
    iloveseattle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for 4 months, then 2 months ago I increased my intake from 1200/day to 1340/day and I've lost 2 lbs. It took 2 months to do this even with the change in calories. I hope to continue to lose by following this calorie count and steadily increasing the duration, frequency, and intensity of my workouts. I'm sincerely hoping that the first 2 lbs dropping off just last week are the start of something good.

For what its worth, HANG IN THERE. Keep doing your best and eventually it will happen. It was a very discouraging 6 months for me lean on your MFP'ers for support and to stick with it. You can do it! Good luck to you.
  • samrdhi
    samrdhi Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and support. i shall try out.