To all my fellow mommies...

Options
...Did you ever lose the dreaded "lower belly pooch"? If so, how did you do it?

Replies

• marapalumbo
    marapalumbo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump...

I'm working on mine, would love to hear what other mommies have to say.
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pilates is the answer. A few years ago a neighbour noticed I had lost some weight and we were chatting about the mommy-tummy and she gave me some of her Mari Winsor Pilates DVD's. I did the 20 min. regular one and then added in the buns and thighs and did a combo mix that I could do in less than 30 min, about three to four times a week. I think I was 18 the last time my abs and thighs were that slim! And a nice tip is that once I got bored of watching the DVD's and knew what to do, I "wrote out" the exercises and the number of reps to do (eg. large leg circles (10 times each leg)) and would do it watching my favourite shows after the kids were in bed! Results were very obvious about 3-4 months in! :smile:
  • Tara_Lynnette
    Tara_Lynnette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pilates...will def try that. In the middle of Insanity...I'm seeing results but this lower stomach just does not seem to move. Thanks!
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Argh, same here. I never thought I'd weigh this little and still have a bit of a gut!! Pilates is a good suggestion, maybe I will try it...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is no specific workout that will target this. Pilates is NOT the only way to do this. They way you lose the pouch is simple, overall body fat reduction. And the best way to cut fat is to have a small calorie deficit and do resistance training. And the reason you have a smaller deficit is so you don't lose muscle. Because if you lose muscle under the pouch, you have to cut more fat in order to offset the loss. Below is a good article in the difference between fat loss and weight loss.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different things that you can do but at the end of the day it also comes down to what you are eating. Pilates I believe will work, as well as side plank an work, ab plank holds, reverse crunches, etc. but all of those exercises won't make a real difference if you aren't eating correctly. Just keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that you had a baby. For most of us moms, that belly pooch might always be there. I had a little one before I got pregnant with my son who is now 20 months old. I worked my butt off to lose all the baby weight and got my abs back but stil, have a little belly pooch.

Just be patient and make sure you are making the healthiest choices as far as your eating is concerned.
  • marapalumbo
    marapalumbo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Pilates is the answer.

Great! I have a 10 minute pilates video that I try to do in the mornings before my daughter wakes up.