Fitness plan for pregnancy

Options
I just found out that I am pregnant again. During my last pregnancy, exercise consisted of rubbing my belly and complaining about how big I was. I am determined not to go down that same path!

What's a good workout plan for pregnancy? I'm thinking walking and swimming... maybe exercise DVDs... what else?

Replies

• rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do the same workouts as when I am not pregnant. My doctor advised me to just keep doing what I'm doing. At a certain point, abwork went out the window (at least laying down abwork - I can still do standing crunches), and push-ups are more of just a roll back and forth on my tummy. I use DVDs - Turbo Jam, Slim in 6, Chalean Extreme, Slim Series. Bring it up to your doctor and they can give you some guidelines. Good luck!
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that if you're already into a regular workout regimen when you get pregnant, it should be perfectly safe to continue it. But if you don't already do a regular workout regimen, you're not supposed to start anything without a doctor telling you what's okay and what isn't. Just give your doctor a call! :) And congratulations!
  • candj2009
    candj2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I asked this a couple weeks ago. I, unfortunately, have to modify my fitness routines for pregnancy because of bleeding in previous pregnancy. It was unexplained bleeding, but to be on the safe side, I have to tone it down. I was looking for some prenatal DVD's for pregnancy, but my problem is they are all strength training, no or very little cardio. I finally found Glow Prenatal Cardio Sculpt by Tonya Larson. Has cardio and strength and will most likely do this DVD once actively TTC.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I did water aerobics and power walking all through my last pregnancy. My 1st 2 I just stuck with walking a couple miles every day
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    <
    I am the one in the black t-shirt :smile: Bump - Thinking about getting pregnant again! :tongue:
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BUMP for future.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! I'm 4 months pregnant and have thus far stuck to ALOT of walking. I also need a work out plan :)
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would talk about any advice you get here with your doctor. The general rule seems to be if you did it before you were pregnant, you can do it while pregnant until your body tells you you can't. So don't take up running if you don't already, but continue (maybe easier) if you do already run. I also remember the doctor telling my wife no ab exercises because there is some kind of injury you could get that could not be repaired until after you give birth. And she was told not to get her heeart rate over 140 so she didn't get the baby's temperature up too much. My wife loved water aerobics being pregnant in the middle of summer (she was doing regular aerobics before).

I'm assuming you know to add calories and gain weight. You just don't want to give up your strength and cardio fitness, those will help in labor and recovery.
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 6 weeks pregnant and with this, and my last, I just kept the same activity level but made the modifications. I also try to work walks into my day.
  • Jeffstac
    Jeffstac Posts: 1
    Options
    I just had my baby and my doctor told me while I was pregnant is what ever I did before I was pregnant, I could do while I was pregnant. My abdominal exercises had to be modified, but they can still be done. You tube is a GREAT place to look for stuff. My doctor told me that some women who previously didn't exercise decide they want to start after they find out they are pregnant. . In that case you have to exercise lightly, because you are not use to it. He said becoming pregnant for some women helps them in becoming more health conscience.. If your body wasn't use to when you were not pregnant then while you are pregnant your body isn't use to the extra stress, so you have to start slow. But it's still a very good idea to work out. My doctor said that it helps to bring oxygen to the baby through the placenta. Also in your first trimester your core temperature isn't suppose to go up passed a certain point but I never really did anyway. I wasn't a HUGE work out person. I wanted to maintain, I hope this helps.:) Best thing to do is ask you doctor. Congratulations on your new baby. It will be fun to work with you baby after he/she is born:):)
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yoga! I went through a brutal VBAC, which consisted of 2 days of active labor and 2+ hours of pushing. The breathing, visualization, and the flexibility from the yoga kept me going. The nurse told me she had never seen anyone hold their own feet during the final part of pushing.

Good Luck!
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    hey ladies! I have been lifting heavy, was doing HIIT on the treadmill, walking inclines and dancing when I discovered my pregnancy....(I actually thought my ulcer was bothering me, DUH) I quit doing the HIIT (high interval intensity training) just before I knew I was pregnant because I was so sick. Per dr orders HIIT is not something to be done during pregnancy, however I can walk inclines, continue lifting although I am not allowed to add anymore weight or reps but just lift to maintain. I did try jogging since I am an avid runner, but because of the loseness our joints get during pregnancy I felt sort of like a preying mantis having a seizure ;(. My doc did recommend adding more yoga and only working out when I felt good enough to do it.

I think the rule pretty much is continue doing what you were doing prior to pregnancy, but once pregnant other than walking, yoga, swimming, its no time to START a new exercise program.
    Jess
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army when I was pregnant so we were still required to do our normal morning workouts. Early in the pregnancy we still ran and did the same thing. As our pregnancy progressed they became more lenient. I did a lot of walking in my pregnancy because after a while it hurt to run (and my daughter thought my sciatic nerver was a pillow!) I kinda wish now that I would have tried to run a little longer though because I ended up gaining too much. I knew a woman who continued to run until she was 36 weeks and her husband asked her to stop lol! I guess it all depends on your personal preference, situation and current physical shape!