Stress Stalling Results

Options
For the past 4 months I have had consistant loss, never gained at all.

In the last 10 days I have been under a lot of stress but I'm very proud of myself I've stuck to eating healthy and exercising the whole time. I'm disappointed in the scale though as it hasn't shown a loss it's actually showing a gain of 1.5 lbs.

Is this a normal body response to stress?

Replies

• poscagirl
    poscagirl Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah, everyone reacts differently, but i think it has something to do with the hormone cortisol which is released when stressed. I would google it, it can hinder weight loss.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain when I'm under stress, but I find it's because I am a little more lax with my diet and I don't push myself as hard during my workouts. Yoga really helps me relax, I highly recommend!
  • spedabstbit
    spedabstbit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible. There may be other contributing factors, but I think stress can be a big one. Several years ago, I had a rather traumatic stress situation that went on for many months. I tried and tried to lose weight during that time by doing all the right things, and not one pound would budge. That was also the case for the following years. I think I was having a period of depression that did not fully clear up until the last couple of years. Now, I'm trying again, and having very good results. I can think of no other factor that varied enough to make the difference. I think my stress/depression was severe enough that my body was fighting for survival, therefore it was holding on to everything possible. Not so, anymore, and I'm seeing good results. My experience was severe and lasted for years. I'm surprised it would have that effect in so short a time as you are talking about, but it makes sense.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Stress is evil. Sadly I had an 8 lb gain from stress which after I got extra cash and paid the issue off it started to come off. HUGS I hope your stress will go away and the scale will go down.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    How are you sleeping? Stress releases cortisol, and lack of sleep does as well, cortisol is released so that our body can respond to the stress.

I would agree that it is stalling your results, however if it isn't making the scale (or your waistline) go back up then you are doing a good job at keeping it at bay.

For me, I really reduced my stress by eating really well and exercising more. Studies show that relaxation techniques (meditation yoga etc) can help.

Google it and you will see a vast array of information to help you beat the stress.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Yes, I see that my problem may be relaxation. I have been going non-stop even before the stress for weeks not and I think it's all just caught up to me.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to check out some yoga dvd's today!