Push up questions

Options
scythswife
scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
Ok so I have an odd question that may sound dumb. I can do standing push ups and easily do 25-30 before my wrists start to hurt. I can't do regular pushs really maybe 1 or 2. I can do about 5-6 girly push ups however my wrists r seriously killing me during and after.
1) Am I doing something wrong or will the pain eventually go away?
2) Are standing ones as effective as regular ones?

Replies

• krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Standing pushups aren't as effective as "real" pushups but can help you build toward the real thing. Avoid girly pushups and try using various height benches to push up against. You gradually lower the distance to the floor until you are doing real push ups.
    You just have to keep at it, eventually you will be able to do real one. If you can do 20 to 30 against the wall, you need to find a more challenging angle.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Start off with the easiest form you can do, wall pushups being great.

There's a few ways you can use your hands/wrists. Pointing upwards (normally) on fists, or try those pushup bars.

One variation may work a lot better for your wrists.

Also, the better you get, and the more weight you lose, the more challenging you can make them. There's a good 15-20 ways to alter pushups depending on your abilities.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I used to be awful at pushups, I could never get past doing 10, and my wrists and back hurt. I fixed my form, straightened out my back and did more and more each day. I started out doing 10 a day and raising it by 5, and the other day I did 100! I think the more you do them, the easier they get on your arms and wrists.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do them on my stairs and lower the angle as I improve I am able to do 4 real ones now. I used to do handstand ones and the inclined ones when I was healthy. I am trying to be able to do those again. If your wrists are sore you might need to build some muscle in your fore arms. My sensei in jiu jitsu used to make us do them on our knuckles. He said it makes your wrists stronger.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I used to be awful at pushups, I could never get past doing 10, and my wrists and back hurt. I fixed my form, straightened out my back and did more and more each day. I started out doing 10 a day and raising it by 5, and the other day I did 100! I think the more you do them, the easier they get on your arms and wrists.

Did you do 100 on your toes? Amaing if you did! :smile:

I started the 100 push ups app but only got to about 30.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options

Did you do 100 on your toes? Amaing if you did! :smile:

I started the 100 push ups app but only got to about 30.

I LOVE that app, i'm to about 5 on my toes where i could barely do one before. i'm excited to increase my core strength and get better!
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    I hold dumbells during pushups as opposed to palms flat on the floor. It seems to help my wrists quite a bit. Plus you can get a little deeper into the pushup.
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    Try the push up bars or just place a couple of dumbbells on the floor and grip them instead of placing your palms on the floor. Also see what you can do to strenghten your wrists. I guess some type of squeezing exercise would work for your wrists.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question, too. I can't do real pushups yet, so I did some inclined ones and my triceps are killing me. Nothing else hurts or is sore except for my triceps, am I doing it wrong or am I just lacking muscle in that area right now?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You may find knuckle pushups much easier on your wrists. They are ever so slightly more difficult, though.

d0gma: That's pretty normal. Your arm position and push up depth will affect what muscles get hit the hardest.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your wrist will get stronger, too. Is it possible your hands are too far down your body forcing your wrist to bend further? Mine hurt, but aren't killing me.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question, too. I can't do real pushups yet, so I did some inclined ones and my triceps are killing me. Nothing else hurts or is sore except for my triceps, am I doing it wrong or am I just lacking muscle in that area right now?
    Try it again with your hands farther apart.
  • scythswife
    Options
    thanks everyone i will give ur suggestions a shot. i like how my arms r starting to look from all of the arm work.
  • scythswife
    Options
    ur not hijacking anything. any question asked only helps others too. good luck to u