7 Days into L.Mcdonalds Rapid Fat Loss

Options
CaseRat
CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
So, you may or may not have heard of Lyle Mcdonald's Rapid Fat Loss Program.

Either way, it's meant to go for 11-12 days for category 1. I'm currently at around 11:30pm on my 7th day.

Guess what? I'm hating it.
Sure, the results are good. Hell, they're great. I'm visibly leaner already. But I feel absolutely terrible, and the side effects are many.

Here's a little recap of my side effects. Maybe if you've tried it, or do try it, they'll be different, but this is my experience so far, anyway.

1. Small headache at around 4-5pm each day building slowly into a splitting headache at around 10-11pm each night, even though I'm drinking over 5 litres of water every day.
2. Struggle to actually get to sleep even though I'm exhausted.
3. Waking up almost every single hour, 6-8 times during the night.
4. COMPLETE lack of energy. Getting up off the couch is a serious effort, let alone the few weights sessions I've attempted. A half hour walk had me completely drained and exhausted.
5. During weights sessions, even lifting at 60-70% of what weight I normally do, doing 2 sets instead of 3, I felt nauseous, struggled to lift it, and almost passed out at one stage.
6. Bowel movements from one extreme to the other. Yeah folks, that's from constipation in the beginning right through to diarrhea.
7. I'm a complete grumpy bum. My family is suffering due to me being so grumpy and short with them all the time.
8. Concentrating is hard and I've been slightly worried while driving, especially coming home from work one night.
9. And how could I forget; I'm normally hungry.

Basically this has been my food intake almost every day the past week:

Supplements:
12 Spirulina capsules
1 x Multivitamin
5g Creatine dose
Flaxseed oil

Breakfast:
5 egg white omelette with ham and mushroom

Lunch:
250-300g tinned tuna with green salad. Lemon juice as a dressing.

Dinner:
300-400g chicken with brocolli/beans or green salad.
Ocassionaly a no-fat cheese slice

Snack:
500g protein jelly
(6g protein, 0.2g sugar)

If I did a workout, I'd have my whey protein concentrate shake bearing 24g protein, 1g fat, 1g carbs

That's pretty much it. Maybe a bit more tuna, or a bit more chicken depending how hungry I was.

All in all, it worked out to around 250-300g protein, 20-25g fat, <10g carbs each day.

I'm currently 4kg less than when I started. I'm thinking around 75% of this is due to water-weight dissapearing, with hopefully 25% being all fat loss and no muscle loss.

So all in all, the past week has been a big, horrible mess for me. Call me a whinger, I don't care. It's been terrible in my opinion and I'm not sure I'll try it again.
However, the results have been good. Really good. So, is it worth it? I don't know. I could've done the same thing in 3-4 weeks and remained sane and happy eating at a slight deficit, while still eating normally.

/End

Replies

• Tasolie
    Tasolie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Doing something you can easily do for ever and ever.... is the way to go. A lifestyle change.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I can't see that the side effects would out weigh the results... That sounds miserable to put your body through that kind of stress... I would say just do it the healthy way with exercising and eating right..... I'm pretty sure thats what everyone would tell you on here too.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    WTF? that sounds terribly low in carbs. Jesus, get your carbs up to at least 50g ... really is it worth it? you sound miserable.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reporting on your experience. You may have saved others some grief. Hope you recover from the experience ok.
  • CaseRat
    Options
    WTF? that sounds terribly low in carbs. Jesus, get your carbs up to at least 50g ... really is it worth it? you sound miserable.

Is it worth it? Honestly, no. Like I said, I could've achieved the same results in a few more weeks and been happy :)

The whole point of the lack of carbs is to stay in ketosis and optimize the fat removal. Hence the no carbs.

This was all an experiment folks. I'm always keen to see what happens to my body with different things. Not going to be killing myself slowly doing this for a sustained amount of time.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

Is it worth it? Honestly, no. Like I said, I could've achieved the same results in a few more weeks and been happy :)

The whole point of the lack of carbs is to stay in ketosis and optimize the fat removal. Hence the no carbs.

This was all an experiment folks. I'm always keen to see what happens to my body with different things. Not going to be killing myself slowly doing this for a sustained amount of time.

Thanks for your feedback - some folks around played with some of Lyle's protocols.

That barely surprises me, you can't just mess with the body (it's an impersonal you :) ) this way.
    What most of us tend to forgot when we try such protocol, is the attended public - in Lyle's case, BB world : competitions, extreme leaness for a 10 mn photoposing, and with a doc around.

These extreme diets aims to give quick result, but in not any way, sustainable at all.
    Glad though you relate. I myself think it doesn't really worth it, gaining a couple of weeks when it's not a contest doesn't really matter :)

Fitness is about being healthy, being drastic is antinomic
    Take care man
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I did a 5 day run of sub 20g carbs, and sub 20g fat..............similar results. I am intolerable on no carbs, can't be near anyone........it does work though.

One thing to be taken into consideration............when i was 60lbs heavier, i wouldn't have wasted my time with this, but as you get lighter and lighter, chasing lower and lower body fats, short term extremes work. That goes along with the maintaining the whole "lifestyle change."

When you have a large amount of body fat to lose, slow and steady is the way to go............but when you have smaller amounts, there is nothing wrong with chasing extremes. Extreme diets and workouts for extreme results. They can't be maintained long-term, but they can smash plateau's and get you re-motivated bigtime.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Sounds horrible, I bet, most people doing that gain the weight right back after the program is over.
  • CaseRat
    Options
    I did a 5 day run of sub 20g carbs, and sub 20g fat..............similar results. I am intolerable on no carbs, can't be near anyone........it does work though.

One thing to be taken into consideration............when i was 60lbs heavier, i wouldn't have wasted my time with this, but as you get lighter and lighter, chasing lower and lower body fats, short term extremes work. That goes along with the maintaining the whole "lifestyle change."

When you have a large amount of body fat to lose, slow and steady is the way to go............but when you have smaller amounts, there is nothing wrong with chasing extremes. Extreme diets and workouts for extreme results. They can't be maintained long-term, but they can smash plateau's and get you re-motivated bigtime.

Ah, there's nothing here I can deny. Spot on. When you're getting down toward single digit bodyfat% territory, perhaps it is indeed one of the better ways to do it.

A large part is in the mind, though. Not saying I'm mentally the strongest person out there; but I know it's been a challenge and I know there's lots of people who simply couldn't do it.
    Then again, most of those people shouldn't even be trying to do it, because they're most likely not in need of the crash diets and need the long term, sustainable weight loss.
  • CaseRat
    Options
    Sounds horrible, I bet, most people doing that gain the weight right back after the program is over.

You'd probably be right. As above though, those sorts of people shouldn't even be doing it in the first place. Crash diets don't work when there's lots of weight to be lost, or when someone's just looking for a 'quick fix'.

The thing is, though, through reading the hand-book, he says that.
    He says it's geared for people needing to shed that last bit of fat for a photoshoot, or to get competition ready.
    Then there's the other side - people who want to lose a quick 5kgs for their high school reunion, or wedding.
  • Christaaa78
    Christaaa78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I dont think this can be worth it. And I don't think programs like this give a long-lasting result.
    Change in life-style is what you need.

And also: these extreme low carb diets are extremely unhealthy.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    You're not the first I've heard this from. Everything I've heard= not worth it. Good luck if you decide to continue. As impatient as I am, I'm still not gonna try this. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for posting your results. Great lesson to those who may have been thinking of dropping their carb intake so low! Scary. Guess that proves that losing slowly and steadily is the way to go.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Sound horrible. I had the same thing happened when I tried a cut cycle and I only lasted one week.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure low carb diets simply deplete your water stores and will be gained back when you're done. I don't know why you would subject yourself to something that is causing you physical pain and ailment. You can easily lose fat from other methods.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    thats so much protein in the day!! <--it can clog up your system, so I bet if you had more fiber, it would help the bowel movement problem....

also, I've heard from many people (at least from guys) that not eating enough carbs with the protein actually makes them pee out some testosterone...(well excess? and not sure about this?)
  • CaseRat
    Options
    I'm pretty sure low carb diets simply deplete your water stores and will be gained back when you're done. I don't know why you would subject yourself to something that is causing you physical pain and ailment. You can easily lose fat from other methods.

That they do. But the whole theory behind this is enabling rapid fat loss. Which is definitely achieved; I can't argue with the mirror. However with the side effects, it's not worth it unless you really do need it to be 'rapid' for a competition or photoshoot.

Why I did it? I was curious to see if it worked.
    It did. But it left me miserable. So I'm done with it.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    I tried that and I realized that I don't work better in ketosis. Lyle's elsewhere recommends a min of 50g carbs and 100 for those who don't function well in lower carbs.
    You might consider carb cycling as per Tom Venuto and Hatfield. I do better with carb cycling though.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Ah, there's nothing here I can deny. Spot on. When you're getting down toward single digit bodyfat% territory, perhaps it is indeed one of the better ways to do it.

A large part is in the mind, though. Not saying I'm mentally the strongest person out there; but I know it's been a challenge and I know there's lots of people who simply couldn't do it.
    Then again, most of those people shouldn't even be trying to do it, because they're most likely not in need of the crash diets and need the long term, sustainable weight loss.

I just want to point out as well, because I've been noticing quite a few people my age now are having to have their gall bladders removed..(the organ that helps digest fat, etc) which is due to crash dieting, because it confuses your gall bladder and makes it work harder than it should...so it causes gall stones....
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Looking at that...its simple...you arent eating enough. Starvation diets are fads and while the upfront appears to work, it's total fail on the rest of the body.