Post Op: Liquid Only Suggestions?

Options
I'm having really minor surgery on the 12th and I'll be on a liquid only diet for three days and then mushy for a week and then really soft for another week. So I'm looking for some suggestions for all of the above! Anything is appreciated. I'd like to work in some chocolate protein powder too! Not sure what I should be prepping for those days and last time I had surgery I didn't touch pudding for almost 3 years b/c I had so much post op! Thanks, everyone!

Replies

• twinmom2006
    Options
    I would try Isgenix "IsaLean" shakes. Not only protein, but also meal replacement. You only need to mix with water, they taste great and they come in Chocolate. Hope that helps!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Tomato soup
    Yogurt Smoothies
    Carnation instant breakfast
    Egg Drop soup
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    I think Muscle Milk light is packed with protien. I don't know much about supplements so I don't know how it stacks up. But the muscle milk light is at costco and pretty inexpensive. Taste is okay.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I take a scoop of chocolate protein powder, 8 oz of water and some crushed ice, blend with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a small banana - deliciousness and very filling :)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Slimfast even makes a lowcarb meal replacement shake now. They have 20 grams of protein each. I have only seen chocolate and vanilla, but they are pretty good (seen them at Walmart).
    As for mushy, try yogurt, cream soups, mashed potatoes (you can bulk up the protein by adding powdered milk to your milk you make them with), refried beans with a little cheese, oatmeal if you make it fairly runny, even bananas work.
    When you get to soft foods, you can try canned tuna or chicken with a little mayo, most soups, oatmeal, most canned veggies and fruits.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    The GNC total lean- lean 25 shakes are really good. It's 200 cals, 3 grams of fat, 8 grams of fiber, 25 grams of protein. Mix it with milk instead of water and you get more cals and protein.

v8 has tons of vitamins.
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just remember..all this protein can cause constipation..you do NOT want that..hydrate well with plain old H2O...:bigsmile:
  • ajhart321
    ajhart321 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts shakes are one cup water, one scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 a banana, 1/2 cup Fage 0% fat-free Greek yogurt and 1T coconut oil. Also, smoothies are a great way to drink food. I make a simple shake with pineapple juice (6oz), 3 oz spinach and half a banana, which is pretty good, but also make a smoothie with pineapple juice, spinach, kale, frozen berries, (syrup or agave for some sweetness), sometimes yogurt or whey powder, and even add chia and hemp seeds. Blend it all up and it is totally drinkable, and yummy. My 11 years old son loves it, too. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies:

1 cup frozen blueberries
    1 small-medium banana
    1/2 c. pineapple juice (cold if possible). I buy the little cans of Dole pineapple juice; they come in a six-pack.

And,

1/2 c. frozen raspberries
    1/2 c. nonfat plain yogurt (I like Stonyfield, it's creamy)
    1/2 c. Trop50 apple juice.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What you eat during those weeks really depends on the type of surgery you are having and the nutritional requirements. If it is WLS you need to be careful of what you are eating, If it is some other type of surgery then you have many more options. If you are having WLS feel free to friend or message me and I share some of my early stage drinks.
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For some variety try V-8 juice too ... it really helped me get int the veggies when I was on a liquid diet. I got pretty tired of sweet stuff, ie smoothies and shakes, and the V-8 offered something more "tangy."
  • ladykat2330
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I was part of a research group at a hospital in Manchester when I had abdominal surgery. They discovered that you recover much quicker if you have carbs (in liquid form ) right before your op ( I was drinking mine at 6 am and was in surgery at 10.30). They also recommended eating as soon as possible after you come round and getting out of bed as soon as possible. I have included a link below about the programme. They provided special carb drinks for me to have so maybe ask your doctor about it?

http://www.cmft.nhs.uk/information-for-patients-visitors-and-carers/enhanced-recovery-programme.aspx
  • ksquared0710
    ksquared0710 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions! They all sound delicious and healthy which makes me feel better. :)