Size & Time of Meals

Options
"Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a beggar." I read this today, and wondered how true it is. I usually do the oposite. But, would it be more beneficial to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a beggar?

Replies

• mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually wind up doing kind of the opposite as well. I have a pretty small breakfast, medium lunch and dinner and maybe a few little snacks. I think it's just a matter of finding what works for you and sticking to your daily calorie plan.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I generally eat breakfast like a prince, snack like a beggar, lunch like a prince, snack like a beggar, dinner like a prince and snack like a beggar.

But that's just me. It's worked for 173 lbs lost, so I can live with it.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The idea is that you eat your largest meals early in the day so your body can metabolize and digest well, however, it can be hard not to have a nice well rounded and fufilling dinner.
    I usally try to eat more in the mornings and stop eating no later then 7pm.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There's no way I could eat like a king in the morning. But I do try and have my biggest meal at lunch so I have time to burn some of it off. I also try not to eat anything after 7 pm. I guess I'm like a begger, a king and then a prince. lol
  • perne11
    perne11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree...I rarely eat a large breakfast. However depending on the day my lunch may be my biggest meal. I follow the belief that "calories in" are "calories in" regardless of the time of day or name of the meal.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I try to eat my largest meal around lunch (not a big breakfast eater, either), and a smaller dinner. I also work out later in the day to end my day with a calorie burn.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Calorie total at the end of the day matters.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I follow that structure, simply because it works for me.

If I eat a majority of my calories before lunch, I'm less/not hungry in the evening.
    If I don't eat a majority of my calories until after lunch, I'm hungry all day, even once I've eaten all that I'm supposed to and more.
  • babyseal_24
    babyseal_24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I never eat like a king. I just eat like a prince for all three meals and snack like a beggar. That way, my calories are even spread throughought the day.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I agree...I rarely eat a large breakfast. However depending on the day my lunch may be my biggest meal. I follow the belief that "calories in" are "calories in" regardless of the time of day or name of the meal.

^^This. I am not usually a breakfast person unless its on the weekends. Lunch is usually my favorite meal and I try to taper off the eating around dinner.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You've got to find what works for you and stick to it. If I eat too less for dinner by the time I go to bed I'm starved and want to eat everything in house. It's about learning balance for you...I eat about 300 cals for breakfast/ 150 snack/ 500 lunch/ 150 snack/ 500 dinner/ 200 snack (on average 1800/day). Some people do better with just 3 balanced meals.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This decision should be based on personal preference, gym performance, and lifestyle, unless you've got a medical condition that requires a specific meal structure/sizing/timing.

In terms of energy balance it's not going to matter, at all.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This decision should be based on personal preference, gym performance, and lifestyle, unless you've got a medical condition that requires a specific meal structure/sizing/timing.

In terms of energy balance it's not going to matter, at all.

I go by this theory as well. Some people do not sleep as well if they eat later at night, but I spread out my calories and eat as necessary. Haven't had a problem :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have heard that saying. I used to eat a larger meal at dinnertime but I learned to spread out the calories a bit more efficiently.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It's a myth. Meal size and timing have no impact on weight loss. It is all personal preference.