(School Teachers Needed! Advice please?)

Options
(Probably posted this in the wrong place)
So i been Doing MFP to get a new look and with a new look i want to start focusing on my career as of being an Elementary School Teacher (or lower) then eventually High school and im having trouble in where to start overall, how to start getting teaching experience? or atleast on where to start in getting experience on dealing with Children? I'm only 20 but it's never to early to think about your future, So if you used to be a teacher or still are, how did you start? and maybe could give some advice? i would greatly appreciate it. :smile:

Replies

• kjoroback
    kjoroback Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! I currently hold an elementary education degree and I'm working on my second bachelor's degree for the high school level. If your goal is to be a TEACHER, I would definitely not go any lower than elementary. Elementary is K-9th grade. If you do early childhood (or Pre-K) you'll be more of a "babysitter" than a teacher. Taking care of potty accidents, blowing noses, arts and crafts activities, snacks, naps, etc etc. If you want to actually TEACH, do elementary.

As far as which to do first between elementary and high school. I personally did elementary first, because of my age. I just felt like it would be very difficult for my to be 22 years old and teaching high school. For example, if I have a class of seniors, most of them would be 18 & I just felt like that was too close to my age. Some of my current friends are 18/19 years old and just out of high school. It seemed... a little awkward. So, I did elementary first. But i'm working on the high school degree now, and by the time I finish I will be 25, which is a better age-difference for me. :) It ultimately depends on what you want to do.

If you're serious, contact a university and ask for some information or make an appointment with an advisor who can lead you in the right direction.
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm a physics teacher (ages 11-18) in the UK. It sounds like our system is very different from yours.
  • h20fan
    h20fan Posts: 17
    Options
    Hey there,

I am an Elementary Teacher and have taught first grade for two years. If you are looking into getting started as a teacher, I would recommend getting on with the school district as a substitute. If you sub, then you can try various grade levels and determine if you prefer Elementary or Secondary education. I learned very quickly before getting my degree that I was not cut out for Secondary. I loved the smaller children and love teaching them to read. You usually don't need too much to sub and the money in some areas is decent. One caution about teaching, don't do it for the money. Teachers make pretty good money for a 9 month contract, but it is not anything to write home about. You have to do it for the love of the job and for the kids. If not, then the stress and commitment that it takes to be a teacher may not be worth it for you.

Just being honest. I love the kids, so money doesn't matter. I truly do love the education field. Good luck to you. If you have any other questions, I have some great programs and advice for new teachers. Just send me an invite to be your friend.

Stef
  • MollyChicago
    MollyChicago Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you're really interested in working with children all ages - pre-k, elementary, jr. high, etc., consider speech-language pathology. It's really a great career choice, and you have opportunities to work with children individually, in small groups, or with entire classrooms. I sorta stumbled into it and love it.
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hello! I currently hold an elementary education degree and I'm working on my second bachelor's degree for the high school level. If your goal is to be a TEACHER, I would definitely not go any lower than elementary. Elementary is K-9th grade. If you do early childhood (or Pre-K) you'll be more of a "babysitter" than a teacher. Taking care of potty accidents, blowing noses, arts and crafts activities, snacks, naps, etc etc. If you want to actually TEACH, do elementary

I'm sorry, but this is not true at all, and is pretty insulting to all of the teachers that put their heart and soul into getting those 3,4 and 5 year old's prepared for elementary school. Thanks to them children come to you already knowing what being in a classroom is like, knowing colors, shapes, numbers, letters, social skills, ect. Yes, some of these children would learn these things at home without Pre-K but some would not. I have never had to potty train in pre-K, my program had a potty training requirement. It also makes me a little sad that you do not feel art is teaching...you do not have to sit at a desk with a text book to learn! Teaching is teaching no matter the age of your student!!!!
  • FollowthePorcupine
    Options
    Thank you for the advise haha i will definitely ask an advisor on this :)
  • FollowthePorcupine
    Options
    Will Definitly add you :D haha Thank you!
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sign up to be a substitute...take every sub job that comes your way, fully execute the sub plans as much as possible, if possible follow up the next day with the teacher you subbed for to see if there is anything different they wanted you to do.
  • tristine_anne
    Options
    I agree with starting as a sub. Some schools also hire tutors which is a great place to start too. I worked as a sub for a few months before being hired as a Para (aide). I worked as reading aide for a year (very low pay but foot in the door). Because of the connections I was able to make there I was able to get a teaching job! I am going on year 3 and I love every minute of it!

I wish you the best of luck! You have picked a wonderful path! :)
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you can, spend a semester volunteering in a classroom before you begin subbing. Good luck, I love teaching!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Hello! I currently hold an elementary education degree and I'm working on my second bachelor's degree for the high school level. If your goal is to be a TEACHER, I would definitely not go any lower than elementary. Elementary is K-9th grade. If you do early childhood (or Pre-K) you'll be more of a "babysitter" than a teacher. Taking care of potty accidents, blowing noses, arts and crafts activities, snacks, naps, etc etc. If you want to actually TEACH, do elementary

I'm sorry, but this is not true at all, and is pretty insulting to all of the teachers that put their heart and soul into getting those 3,4 and 5 year old's prepared for elementary school. Thanks to them children come to you already knowing what being in a classroom is like, knowing colors, shapes, numbers, letters, social skills, ect. Yes, some of these children would learn these things at home without Pre-K but some would not. I have never had to potty train in pre-K, my program had a potty training requirement. It also makes me a little sad that you do not feel art is teaching...you do not have to sit at a desk with a text book to learn! Teaching is teaching no matter the age of your student!!!!

This.