knee injury/will power

Options
As of last week, I was making progress in the weight loss department, level of activity increase, and change in mentality/willpower. This week is supposed to be amazing weather (nice temperatures, low-ish humidity, sunny). Yesterday I go and twist my knee (nothing all that new for me). Does anyone have suggestions for keeping progress going especially the mental demons while I'm healing?

Replies

• phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out...since you won't be exercising as much, you need to reduce the intake. I won't be easy...truct me I've had knee problems for the past 25 years. Just make smart decisions at the dinner table. Good luck!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Picking up running is what started my whole "journey"-the eating changes followed about a month later. I am about to enter week 3 of no running due to a series of non-running-related injuries & illnesses. I may or may not be cleared to run again when I go back to the doc next week. But as the PP mentioned-calories in vs calories out. It's a little more challenging to meet calorie goals without having any exercise calories for a boost-but at the same time, less activity translates into less "need" for fuel. I'm cutting myself a little slack during my hiatus and not sweating it if I don't meet my goal-as long as I stay below maintenance, I'll continue to lose. Oddly enough-I have had 2 weeks of zero physical activity & 2 prior weeks of lower activity than usual and I've lost more in the last month than in the month before. My biggest issue is that running is my sanity-it clears my head and keeps me calm. Many more weeks of no running may well drive me to lunacy.

Good luck-no activity doesn't have to derail your plans or your progress. There are many tales of people losing lots of weight with zero exercise-so carry on. You can do it-cut yourself a little slack if that helps (don't if it will lead to all-out binges every day). You will heal and get back in the exercise game soon enough.
  • JessDorian
    JessDorian Posts: 34
    Options
    Knees suck! mine are horrible and with cold weather groan. Best thing you could do is rest till it goes down watch what you eat maybe when you can start walking and go from there. Its all bout your food intake till you can get back at it!!
    Good luck :)
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    One thing I guess Ihadn't thought about, while I can't/shouldn't do anything for a while on my motivation to exercise, I can put forth extra effort to working on my food demons by being more cognizant of what goes in my mouth. Improve the qualtity and reduce the quantity (how hungry am I really) and hopefully this will make it easier when I heal.
    Of course waiting to heal, and not pushing especially when the amount of pain is minimized is a whole other issue. I'm lousy at taking the full amount of time to heal.
  • JessDorian
    JessDorian Posts: 34
    Options
    Know what you mean, you feel like your on a roll.doing awesome then something happens to stuff it up! I get impatient and figity. Maybe work on your upper body? Get some resistant tubes.
    Good idea with the food! Try to take right amount time off or you'll be taking longer if you dont take care now (thats what I tell myself)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Biking or swimming.
    Both are low impact.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    woohoo!! through conscientious effort of food, I managed to not gain last week despite limiting my physical activity. Now that I'm healed enough to do more again, hopefully the weight will go down again and I'll be able to keep the better food habits.