Exhausted Mom Looking For Friends

Options
Hi All!

I'm Allison, a stay at home mom with an adorable (not that I'm bragging) eight month old baby boy. I'm not new to having to work hard to maintain a healthy weight, but I am very new to the not being able to get a handle on it. I've never been able to eat with abandon and stay thin, but this is the first time I'm not seeing immediate results for my efforts. Maybe now that I'm 30 my metabolism really is changing. Nooooooo!

I'm currently at 156, looking to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight of 130. I started off at 160, the biggest I've ever been when not pregnant. Before that, I had a brief encounter with the upper 140s, but never anything too scary. I'm only 5'2" and I really miss wearing my old clothes.

My hubby travels every week for work, so I take care of the baby solo M-F. He's an awful sleeper and he's now crawling, so I rely a lot on things like Lean Cuisine and protein shakes to help me keep my calories in check when I don't have time to measure/weigh all of my food.

I'm on week four of Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, but so far I'm not seeing much in the way of change. It is tough to find the energy, but so far I haven't missed a day. I'm hoping some poundage will peel off in the coming weeks...

I am also struggling with keeping my calories at the 1200/day level MFP has set for me. Numbers are a big motivator for me, so it breaks my heart every time I finish my diary entries and I have gone over. I know I can change the goals myself, but when the settings show I am projected to lose less than a pound a week, I cringe. It's a mental thing for me, I guess.

Anyway, after starting off feeling excited and motivated, I'm really starting to feel discouraged. I could really use some buddies! Help!

Replies

• emmyash
    emmyash Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    hi..not sure if you care where your friends come from but feel free to add me..id be happy for you to join my list of supportive MFP friends...Nicole,Australia:smile:
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm Allison, a stay at home mom with an adorable (not that I'm bragging) eight month old baby boy. I'm not new to having to work hard to maintain a healthy weight, but I am very new to the not being able to get a handle on it. I've never been able to eat with abandon and stay thin, but this is the first time I'm not seeing immediate results for my efforts. Maybe now that I'm 30 my metabolism really is changing. Nooooooo!

I'm currently at 156, looking to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight of 130. I started off at 160, the biggest I've ever been when not pregnant. Before that, I had a brief encounter with the upper 140s, but never anything too scary. I'm only 5'2" and I really miss wearing my old clothes.

My hubby travels every week for work, so I take care of the baby solo M-F. He's an awful sleeper and he's now crawling, so I rely a lot on things like Lean Cuisine and protein shakes to help me keep my calories in check when I don't have time to measure/weigh all of my food.

I'm on week four of Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, but so far I'm not seeing much in the way of change. It is tough to find the energy, but so far I haven't missed a day. I'm hoping some poundage will peel off in the coming weeks...

I am also struggling with keeping my calories at the 1200/day level MFP has set for me. Numbers are a big motivator for me, so it breaks my heart every time I finish my diary entries and I have gone over. I know I can change the goals myself, but when the settings show I am projected to lose less than a pound a week, I cringe. It's a mental thing for me, I guess.

Anyway, after starting off feeling excited and motivated, I'm really starting to feel discouraged. I could really use some buddies! Help!

as much moving you are doing with an 8 month old try to up your calories. I know its hard to think if i eat more ill gain. no true you may need more to loss.

I have some tips on 8 month old sleep. lol
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Allison! Sounds like a tough time (brightened by adorable baby, I'm sure... :)).

First of all, I admire your hard work and determination. It's really hard to focus on very many things, including health, when you're giving full time care to a little one.
    I have a 14 month old (and 4 other kiddos!) so I SO can identify with where you're at, and that's also why I'm really impressed with what you're doing!

If the MFP 1200 is working for you, that's great. If it isn't, though, I can't recommend highly enough the "Eat More to Weigh Less" group on this forum. I have been doing this for 45 days now (most of them following that perspective), and it is so DOABLE! And I'm losing weight. It's really nice to focus on eating healthily, and not trip over managing a small number of calories. Check out that group, not that you have to jump into that plan, but it is very informative, and motivating.

Just one other thought... A very wise friend once talked to me and my husband and strongly encouraged him to "let" me get out ALONE for a couple hours every weekend. It's not that he wouldn't have done this, but I probably wouldn't have initiated regular "me" time, and he just didn't think of it. That was/ has been a life saver. It's really hard (at least for me) to have very many linear thoughts with little ones around, and I and everyone else really benefit from the little bit of sanity I regain at Starbucks, or at a park, or wherever.

It sounds like you could use a break... Anyways, just a thought from another mama. :)

-Heidi
  • angelle20182001
    angelle20182001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Erica, I'm always open to find friends myself, feel free to add me anytime!! Good luck on your journey!! Every little bit of support helps!! Im right smack in the middle of mine!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I'm a work-at-home mom with 2 kids (a 4 year old and a 4 month old). It can be challenging to work out around 2 kids but it can be done with a little creativity! I agree with Heidi5k- check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group if the low cal isn't working very well for you.

There's lots of great support and other mamas on here!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm out of the exhausted mom days, but more than happy to help encourage you. I have recently struggled to stay on track, having recently had surgery.

Feel free to add me.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I use to eat those frozen dinners, but they are so high in carbs, that I gained wait trying to do low cal low fat. cause as we know sugar is fat free.................Plus every meal either has rice or pasta, bad carbs. I know you have your hands full, been there when mine were young. But start by getting organizes, try to cook your meals for the week, and then split it up for the 5 days/meals.
    For example, buy a pack of boneless skinless chicken breast and grill them then put them in individual zip bags. You can cut up cold chicken breast to put on a salad for lunch or dinner. Frozen veggies are great and quick to fix; even in the microwave when you are heating up your chicken breast, just stay away from the ones that have any sauces on them.

Try to stay away from the processed frozen dinners, even though they say "Lean" , you will see the scale start moving!!
    Good Luck, and feel free to add me as well.
    Ivy
  • bigb1975
    bigb1975 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Alison! I just joined and I too am looking for friends for support and motivation, so please add me. I completely agree with poisonivy as far as taking sunday to prepare for the week your meals. Nutrition is everything when it comes to losing weight and being consistent. At the end of the day I'm usually so tired (I have three kids) but that's my time to prepare meals for the upcoming day or week. Just do it so it makes eating healthy easy. Being prepared will make all the difference and keep it clean! I hope we can all be a support to each other. Best of luck. Need anything, I'm here :smile:
  • dudleyclan
    dudleyclan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom too with 4 children. I am also looking for motivational friends. I live in san diefo ca.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to being an exhausted mom! I remember well the early days with my first child and how hard that was. A couple tips for you, take the baby into the kitchen with you while you're prepping your food for the week. Put him in high chair with a few finger foods to snack on and talk to him while you work. A lot of the healthy things you prepare for yourself he can eat too! And make him part of your exercise routine, put him in a stroller and go out for a walk. Not sure where you live but many places have stroller fit groups for moms. Add me as a friend if you like! :smile:
  • twinmom2006
    Options
    Would love for you to add me!! After 4 kids of my own, I can relate. Sometimes being a stay at home mommy, we can lose ourselves in the process a bit. It's great to have friends that can relate and support!!!
  • bkknights
    bkknights Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a mom of a three year old and seven month old and I agree its exhausting. I get a break though when I get to go to work :) I was at my thinnest when I got pregnant with my first and was underweight then. So I gained a lot with him. I got pregnant a second time without loosing any weight and was at my heaviest. I didn't gain as much but I started MFP only a few pounds under my 9 month pregnancy weight, talk about a bummer.

I've resolved to get back to a healthy weight for me so I've got a lot to loose. But I want to be healthy for me and my kids. I'll send you a friend request. Good luck!

P.S. My first was a terrible sleeper, I can relate :)
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi Allison! I am also new to MFP and to being a stay-at-home mom. After working full time for the past 4 years with my kids in day care, I decided I wanted to spend some time with my babies before my daughter starts the big K. But I'm finding it harder to eat healthy now than when I was working and packing my lunch and snacks. Now when the munchies hit, I eat whatever is handy Plus, I've always been one of those "eat whatever I want" people but my metabolism and thyroid are changing that !! :cry: I am also looking for friends to motivate and to keep me motivated.

-Samantha
  • KNJMAMA
    KNJMAMA Posts: 20
    Options
    Hey hun, I'm a SAHM too and I agree with a few other posts, you can get creative with your exercise. I put in a lot of effort into my housework and include it as my exercise. I take my 2 babes (almost 3 year old and almost 6 month old) out for walks most days. I have very recently dusted off my wii fit and although my youngest cried all through it, I managed 20 mins on that with the older one joining in.
    Feel free to add me if you like, I try and get on here 3-4 times a day unless hubby is around but I can offer an ear if you need to vent or need that motivational kick up the backside lol.
  • LivewellLynn
    Options
    Just joined today. Love it so far! We have about the same amount of weight to lose! Would love to support each other! Feel free to add me as a friend. :)