Recommended Calorie Discrepancy

Options
Hi all,
I just went for a fitness evaluation at my gym this morning, as part of my plan to get set-up and do this right! At the gym, knowing my weight, BMI, activity level, etc... they recommended that I eat 1,950 calories per day to lose 1.5 pounds per week. HOWEVER, when I put my info in here, it recommends 1200 calories. That's a BIG difference!
Any clues about what's up with that?

Thanks!

Replies

• terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    I would go by what your gym is saying..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    How does MyFitnessPal work?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Using MyFitnessPal is very simple. Here's how our basic process works:

1. Based on your fitness profile, we'll recommend a daily net calorie target for you to achieve your weight loss (or gain) goals.

2. As you eat and exercise throughout the day, you need to log your meals and exercise in our Food and Exercise diaries. MyFitnessPal will calculate the number of calories you've consumed and burned from exercise and let you know how many calories you have left to eat for the day. If you stick within your calorie limits, you should achieve the weight loss you're looking for.

3. The best part of our system is that logging gets easier the more you do it. MyFitnessPal remembers the foods and exercises you like most and makes it easy for you to add those items to your diary. In just a few days, logging can be as fast as 30 seconds — it's literally that easy.

4. Periodically (we recommend once a week), you should weigh yourself and check-in your new weight with the site using our Check-In feature. Checking in your weight allows us to track your progress over time and also adjust your calorie goals to reflect your new weight.

That's it! Just a few minutes a day can show you so much about what you're eating and how that impacts your health.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on what your gym is going to have you do. If you are going to be burning a bunch of calories working out then MFP is going to ask you to eat more than the 1,200 calories also.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I just went for a fitness evaluation at my gym this morning, as part of my plan to get set-up and do this right! At the gym, knowing my weight, BMI, activity level, etc... they recommended that I eat 1,950 calories per day to lose 1.5 pounds per week. HOWEVER, when I put my info in here, it recommends 1200 calories. That's a BIG difference!
    Any clues about what's up with that?

Thanks!

Your gym is probably assuming you will do an average of about 750 calories a day (1-2 hours depending on intensity) of working out. If your lifestyle is set as "sedentary" on MFP, you are expected to log those workouts and the calories are added in to your daily budget.

It honestly doesn't matter which way you approach it - if you know you'll be getting between 600 and 1000 calories a day of workouts in, go for the 1950 and DO NOT LOG your workouts. If you don't know how much exercise you'll manage in a given day, go for the 1200 and earn more food with workouts.