Breast Feeding and Calorie Intake plus exercise.....

Options
Hi! I'm new to this whole Calorie tracking so please excuse my ignorance.... I'm currently breastfeeding my daughter and want to try to lose some weight. I'm not to sure how to go about this though. I know i need to eat a certain amount, i believe 500 Calories, to make sure i have what i need to breast feed. So i guess what i'm asking is do i just add that to the total for my daily amount? I don't see any place that would allow me to add this information into the Daily Tracking. so if i have 1500 Calories a day do i just think of it as 2000 Calories a day?

Replies

• mhabib1980
    mhabib1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As one of your foods search for breastfeeding :) it will help you with the right amount of calories. I nurse part time. For me it's about 200 extra a day that I get. If you are full time it is about 500 calories-Good luck!
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be trying to restrict calories while breast feeding. If you find out how many calorie you need while breast feeding in addition to what you need for yourself without dieting and eat those calories you will probably lose weight any way. I have always lost weight while breast feeding without restricting calorie intake. Exercising will help you though. The problem with restricting calories is it can effect your milk production and you may get fatigued if you don't eat enough. Congratulations on your new baby!!
  • Kara_Griffin2012
    Options
    Thank you. I'm not trying to restrict my calorie intake or diet, i just want to make sure it is a healthy amount and that i am taking in enough to sustain my baby girl. We have been successful with breastfeeding for 6 1/2 months now and it hasn't helped me to lose any of the baby weight. i know i'm not eating as healthy as i could be so this is just to help me keep track and hopefully get eating better. i am doing light exercise as well.
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    Don't know the answer or much about breast feeding, but as a granddad, I'd strongly suggest talking to your Doctor. Sounds like you are naturally concerned about your baby and what to be sure you are doing the best thing.
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    I just started trying to lose weight but I am still breastfeeding my 18 month old. I feel that if you are drinking plenty of water and not starving yourself that you will still produce enough milk for your baby.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Search breastfeeding under "foods" it will give you a bunch of options- choose the one that most closely resembles your situation. Your daughter is over 6 months old now so in all honesty your milk supply has basically established itself (unless you are pumping throughout the day which is another story entirely).
    Make sure you are drinking water and LOTS of it- that will affect your milk supply drastically.
    I am one of those women who do not lose weight while breastfeeding- I started cutting calories when my son and daughter were 8 months respectfully and still breastfed both of them well past the 1 year mark (my daughter is 28 months and still going strong)
  • aquabeauty1187
    Options
    Yes ma'am, you are correct. You add 500 to the daily amount you are aiming for. I was also recently breastfeeding, and my milk supply depleted. My nutritionist told me what I just told you, but unfortunately, it's too late for me. Good luck!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My daughter eats solids too, so I -300 on my food diary every day. I have lost 22lbs while breastfeeding her and I'm still going strong and she still has a good supply. When in doubt, consult a lactation nurse! =)
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have my profile set to lose 0.5 lb a week and add the 500 extra to my food log. If I eat much less than it tells me to or I lose weight too fast my milk supply drops immediately, it's a tedious balance (went through the same with my daughter). But I figure even if it's slow at least I'm losing and I won't be nursing forever :)
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started trying to lose weight when my daughter was about a year old and she was exclusively breastfed that first year and now still breastfeeds 1x a day and all night. She she is 20 months old. I had no problem with my supply and it is still plentiful even though I am down 80+ pounds. Drink a lot of water, eat plenty of proteins and good fats and you should be good :) feel free to add me if you would like. I give my self 100 calories for nursing, but started at 500 then 350 then finally to 100 since she's mostly feeding to aid in falling asleep before naptime and at bedtime. I also never lost weight with breastfeeding alone, but I was never actively trying since I was afraid it would diminish my supply.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have seen 200-500 extra calories needed. My body held onto the extra 10-15#s while I was breastfeeding regardless of what I did and my supply was sensitive to my intake (I pumped 3+ times a day at work so I was able to adjust as needed). I decided to to start exercising and making sure I was putting those calories back. Go ahead and log, there is nothing wrong with that. Try adding the 500 cals to whatever MFP gives you or try this calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm. Just pay attention and don't be afraid to adjust as needed. Also, make sure you are getting a good amount of good fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts, coconut oil, etc.) After 6 months your supply is established and you should be fine. Good Luck!
  • Kara_Griffin2012
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!!! it's nice to know that i can do this and still keep up with my daughters needs! i truly appreciate all the information!
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body too....if you're hungry one day eat more, and don't worry about going over. I try to eat good fats/calories. Lots of fruit, veggies, nuts, peanut butter ect....My son is 2.5 months old and I'm doing the best I can to keep up with the little piggy! (I'm pumping at work) Most days I pump enough or close to it for him. He might get one bottle of formula but I'm still counting it as nursing full time for the 500 cals. (as I am loosing 1-3lbs a week at this point.....)
  • Kara_Griffin2012
    Options
    Thanks! I will listen to what my body tells me for sure. I just want to use this as a tool to help me see what i'm actually eating so that i can make healthier choices :smile: I exclusively breastfeed as i am a stay at home mom, so i don't pump at all. Thank you for the info!