myth or fact?

Options
i've heard it said that when someone has over 100 pounds to lose, they tend to lose weight rather quickly in the beginning.

is this true in all cases?

because, well, i have 120-130 to lose & i've only lost 3 pounds in two weeks. i'm eating way less than i used to, am always under my calorie goal of 1400 (even though i eat back some of my exercise calories), & do 30-40 minutes of cardio & strength training 5-6 times per week.

am i doing something wrong here? or is this a myth? or am i just an anomaly?

Replies

• downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I definitely could be wrong, but I think when people lose weight quickly in the beginning, it's mainly water weight. Are you watching your sodium intake?

Don't get discouraged! You are exercising and watching calories, if you keep it up, the pounds will come off.
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i haven't been paying too much attention to my sodium, no. maybe that's all it is. thank you. :)
  • NeverEverEasy
    Options
    I always here that it's true that people with higher weight loss goals loose more faster in the beggining. The reason I say that is because I always hear "The last 10 lbs is the hardest to loose!" with that said, people who are a bit heavier tend to consume more calories then a thin person, when they start eating lower amounts of calories they loose the weight, a thin person who already eats a low amount has a harder time because then they have to burn calories to make a deficet. So I guess it gets harder the closer you get to your goal.

~ Happy Logging ~
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You have had a good loss imho, and probably have lost more than the scales are showing, due to water retention within the muscles, from cardio and strength training. worry about it when you haven't lost anything for a few weeks. For now it sounds to me like your on track keep it up :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    True
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I would check out your BMR and your TDEE numbers (you can do a google search for each of them example TDEE calculator.) This can give you a better number that you should be eating (I eat between my BMR and TDEE number.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Generally true...but for the record, NOTHING is true "in all cases".

Everyone's body is different and responds differently to changes in diet and exercise.

Good luck!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You have had a good loss imho, and probably have lost more than the scales are showing, due to water retention within the muscles, from cardio and strength training. worry about it when you haven't lost anything for a few weeks. For now it sounds to me like your on track keep it up :)

Agree with this.

Just be patient and start watching your salt intake. Balance it with a high potassium intake and cut back on processed foods, and it should help with water retention.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

What he said... I suggest getting some good before pics of yourself with as much skin showing as you feel comfortable showing in a picture (for your eyes only of course) then use this to reference back to each week or at the end of a month. The scale is a lying sack of sheeeot so dont always believe it. If you have that much to lose there is A LOT of things changing inside your body as well as outside and weight may not always be part of that. I have the picture on my profile from day one til recently. It makes it seem as if you are seeing a friend you havent seen in a year and you notice how much better or worse they look. I went 3 months with no scale change but the pictures were there to prove it. Keep on keeping on. no worries! =0)
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I definitely could be wrong, but I think when people lose weight quickly in the beginning, it's mainly water weight. Are you watching your sodium intake?

Don't get discouraged! You are exercising and watching calories, if you keep it up, the pounds will come off.

I would agree with this! Always watch your sodium intake because sodium makes you retain water! Most people opt to taking a water pill to lose weight but reducing sodium and drinking lots and lots of water is the best way for your body to cleanse. If your body is constantly getting water then it no longer needs to hold onto what you do get if its in small amounts, it will retain less and less over time. Your loss looks healthy though, dropping a whole lot more than that right away seems a little unhealthy to me, no matter how much you have to lose. You gotta give your body time to adjust, just keep at what your doing and steer clear of frozen/prepared meals unless you check the Na content!! =)
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth or a fact, it depends on the person!
    You should start doing measures of yourself. One girl I knew who had 150 lbs only lost like 7lbs in a month, but lost a heck of a lot of inches around her arms, thighs, and tummy! You should try that, it's for sure more accurate than constantly checking the darn scale!

Good luck on your weight loss journey :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    An average of 1.5 pounds a week IS rather quickly. :smile: That's about75 pounds a year.... nothing to sneeze at!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I do know for a fact that the more you weigh, the more calories you burn. So you can watch your calories that you're eating, and burn a *kitten* load off with exercise.
  • Curvy_princess
    Curvy_princess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Myth until we have more information. Your diary is private, you dont state what your BMR or TDEE calorie are. Until you provide more information, we can only speculate
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have over 100lbs to lose too and taken me a full 3 months to lose 15lbs. my clothes pretty much feel the same I did measure and I know I'm loosing inches, as long as I'm measuring the same spots...hard to tell really since I'm measuring myself. But I'm going to keep on keeping on. I'm doing better than I was when I wasn't doing anything at all and at least I'm working out and my kids are making healthier choices too so I'm having positive outcomes on more than just the scale :smile:

I do watch my sodium and I'm really shocked at how much of that stuff is in some items! Sorry I couldn't offer better words of encouragement
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Most of the weight at the beginning is water weight. Monitor your sodium (cut down on processed foods) and try to drink 10 cups or so of water a day. When I did that I dropped 3 pounds in just a few days! But if you don't lose more, don't sweat it; your progress is already awesome :)
  • queenofgrey
    Options
    y'all are amazingly helpful. thank you for all of the advice & encouragement.
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    i've heard it said that when someone has over 100 pounds to lose, they tend to lose weight rather quickly in the beginning.

is this true in all cases?

because, well, i have 120-130 to lose & i've only lost 3 pounds in two weeks. i'm eating way less than i used to, am always under my calorie goal of 1400 (even though i eat back some of my exercise calories), & do 30-40 minutes of cardio & strength training 5-6 times per week.

am i doing something wrong here? or is this a myth? or am i just an anomaly?

You'll want to be careful and not be too under your calorie goal. Plus if you're active during the day, you'll need to make sure and log those calories spent because that mean you're calorie limit for the day will increase.
  • queenofgrey
    Options
    Myth until we have more information. Your diary is private, you dont state what your BMR or TDEE calorie are. Until you provide more information, we can only speculate

my diary is friends only, but that can easily be changed. in fact, i'll do that right now. thanks for the reminder.