P90x? Insanity? 30DS? YouTube? Etc, etc

Options
2»

Replies

• coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Get both and you get the best of both worlds. I am doing a hybrid of P90X/Insanity which gives you the lifting days of P90X and the cardio of Insanity. I have done P90X, P90X2, and Insanity and combining them is definitely giving me the best results I have seen from all of them. If you would like the schedule I am following, add me and I will get it to you.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Get both and you get the best of both worlds. I am doing a hybrid of P90X/Insanity which gives you the lifting days of P90X and the cardio of Insanity. I have done P90X, P90X2, and Insanity and combining them is definitely giving me the best results I have seen from all of them. If you would like the schedule I am following, add me and I will get it to you.

My friends who suffered injuries from just doing Insanity did the same thing - and they are very happy with their results. They sub in the insanity workouts on the P90X cardio days. Good suggestion
  • halaw
    halaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love Shaun T's butt kicking Insanity workouts!
  • halaw
    halaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How are you guys logging Insanity???
    For someone with knee injuries you can modify exercises and you do need to know your body and limits.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Insanity all the way.

I think I logged it as high impact aerobics or something like that. I generally wear a HRM and log it manually though since it gets my heart rate up so high.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ^^^I use a Polar HRM with a chest strap and log it as cardio.

That said, I love Insanity. Incredible calorie burn.
  • coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't "log" workout son here. I have a set amount of calories I hit every day and don't worry about logging the exercise, because if you log it throws of your main goal and its harder to add everything up. If you are doing the insanity workouts every day you don't need to worry about eating too much if you no where you are supposed to be at. I'm at 2000 calories right now and I hit that every day no matter which workout I do.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The one I put together myself revolving around use of a suspension trainer and HIIT cardio.
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've done P90, P90 Masters, P90X, Insanity, and am doing turbo fire now...hands down, Insanity is my all time fave. Gonna see turbo fire through to the end, but can't wait to get back to Insanity!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Here's the American Council on Exercise in depth review of Insanity and P90x (as well as something called Rushfit.) Some of the criticism of Insanity (excerpted below) has kept me from trying the program. I would definitely advise that you read the whole article- it is incredibly thorough.

"His lack of scientific knowledge is clearly evident in his instructional inconsistencies and coaching miscues."
    "Utilizes numerous exercises, but many exercises are indistinguishable from each other."
    "High plyometric volume, lack of biomechanical coaching and knowledge, lack of understanding of energy pathways (i.e., appropriate work-to-recovery ratios) mean this program increases the risk of excessive fatigue, compromised technique, muscle soreness and possible injury."
    "Lack of foundational science knowledge (physiology and kinesiology) evident in coaching cues; regularly overlooks biomechanical mistakes."
    "Incorrect identification of muscle function (e.g, role of core, stretching hip flexors)"

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side
  • cldwyer150
    cldwyer150 Posts: 20
    Options
    I love Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones, 6 Week 6 Pack and Ripped in 30. Didn't like 30 Day Shred .....too boring and not really much information on when to switch levels

Turbo Fire I did for 5 weeks, sweated my butt off and killed me knee but didn't lose even one pound. Way too much jumping and twisting for me. Went back to JM and started Ripped in 30 Days and lost just under 3 pounds in one week.....love her!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Insanity, cause I LOVE cardio, buuuuttttt.....I get so bored with the same exercises over & over & over....even in the same video, you do the same exercise many times. Wish they could be more diverse! But you sure will sweat & breathe hard!
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Here's the American Council on Exercise in depth review of Insanity and P90x (as well as something called Rushfit.) Some of the criticism of Insanity (excerpted below) has kept me from trying the program. I would definitely advise that you read the whole article- it is incredibly thorough.

"His lack of scientific knowledge is clearly evident in his instructional inconsistencies and coaching miscues."
    "Utilizes numerous exercises, but many exercises are indistinguishable from each other."
    "High plyometric volume, lack of biomechanical coaching and knowledge, lack of understanding of energy pathways (i.e., appropriate work-to-recovery ratios) mean this program increases the risk of excessive fatigue, compromised technique, muscle soreness and possible injury."
    "Lack of foundational science knowledge (physiology and kinesiology) evident in coaching cues; regularly overlooks biomechanical mistakes."
    "Incorrect identification of muscle function (e.g, role of core, stretching hip flexors)"

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side
    Interesting article, lots of valid points yet he seems to be pretty critical of some of the workouts considering he doesn't have a workout DVD that I'm aware of. He certainly talks a big game, if he's such an expert I'd love to see him put some of that knowledge into something useful instead of random criticisms. It's tough to tell if he's passing his opinions off as facts so if he doesn't provide reasoning I have no reason to believe half of what he says.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Interesting article, lots of valid points yet he seems to be pretty critical of some of the workouts considering he doesn't have a workout DVD that I'm aware of. He certainly talks a big game, if he's such an expert I'd love to see him put some of that knowledge into something useful instead of random criticisms. It's tough to tell if he's passing his opinions off as facts so if he doesn't provide reasoning I have no reason to believe half of what he says.

The American Council on Exercise isn't going to be putting out a workout DVD.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I think ANY exercise people do is better than doing nothing, but sort of echoing the above "official" criticism, I have several friends (all fairly fit and athletic) who really messed their knees up doing Insanity. It definitely looks like a killer workout, but for me (at 44) I want to preserve my joints but still get fit - so P90X definitely works for me. If Insanity is your thing, kick it!
  • Roadie2000
    Options

The American Council on Exercise isn't going to be putting out a workout DVD.
    No s**t. All I'm saying is there are a million "experts" out there who feel free to tell us what we shouldn't be doing, but fail to give advice as to what we SHOULD be doing. Sometimes the more research I do the more confused I become.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

The American Council on Exercise certifies trainers. As far as I know they do not produce workout dvds for sale.

http://www.acefitness.org/

I was quite ready to do Insanity myself (it really looks like fun!) However as a self-employed fitness professional myself, avoiding injury is an concern for me- I want to continue paying my bills:smile: - which is why I researched different plans before deciding on p90x.