Suggestons for whole wheat or grain breads?

Options
I would like to hear some suggestions for a good tasting 100% whole wheat bread. Also maybe whole grain also. I really don't eat much bread each day (maybe one slice) but want to stay away from processed foods and refined carbs as much as possible.

Thanks

John

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear some suggestions for a good tasting 100% whole wheat bread. Also maybe whole grain also. I really don't eat much bread each day (maybe one slice) but want to stay away from processed foods and refined carbs as much as possible.

Thanks

John
    make sure that you are eating 100% whole wheat alot of times it still has enriched wheat flour (which is so processed its just like white flour)

real whole wheat takes some getting used to but its possible- Whole wheat bagels aren't that bad either
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Arnold bread and Pepperidge farm bread actually use whole wheat and whole grain. They do not take white flour and add in the good stuff. And they're quite tasty. Just try to catch them on sale!
  • jwilson56
    Options
    I really wish they would stop them from putting 'whole wheat' on and item that still has processed wheat in it. I understand the difference but have been looking for suggestion hoping that there someone found one that thought was better. My wife is looking into making her own bread also so many some good recipes for 100% whole breads.

Thanks

John
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Silver Hills makes a few varieties (some granier than others) that are actually made without flour and are really tasty. The don't last as long though with no preservatives, so you have to eat them quickly or freeze it and just take out what you need.

Dempters also makes a variety of whole grain breads, the one I currently have is called Ancient Grains. All of the ones I've tried are really good!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Arnold bread and Pepperidge farm bread actually use whole wheat and whole grain. They do not take white flour and add in the good stuff. And they're quite tasty. Just try to catch them on sale!

Arnold's Double Fiber is what I eat, it is sooo good. Also the Arnold's whole wheat sandwich thins are yummy too!
  • spooky
    spooky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like the healthy life 100% whold wheat whole grain bread - it has 5 net carbs, 99% fat free and only 35 calories a slice and it taste good too!!!:smile:
  • SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I could post a recipe if you like (and if you'd be inclined to make bread at home)... Per recipe, I get two small loaves, with each slice about 16 calories... (broken down by cutting a loaf into 12 slices).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Costco has a bread --Innkeepers Whole Grain Bread--that is whole grain w/no added fats or sugar. It is also addictive. It's a giant loaf that feels like you need a cart to carry it out of the store.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I like Dempster's Ancient Grains. :)
  • jwilson56
    Options
    I could post a recipe if you like (and if you'd be inclined to make bread at home)... Per recipe, I get two small loaves, with each slice about 16 calories... (broken down by cutting a loaf into 12 slices).

Well my wife has a bread maker so maybe we could try the recipe.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you've never had Eziekel bread, that might be something you want to try. I know they sell it at Trader Joe's and I've started seeing it at other stores as well. It's a sprouted bread, and it is delicious. It sounds strange, but I highly recommend it!

Here's some info from their website:

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products
    Inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."

Ezekiel 4:9® Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products are:

Flourless,
    Organic,
    Complete Protein,
    and Sprouted Whole Grain
    We discovered when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread – from all vegetable sources – naturally balanced in nature.

Ezekiel 4:9® Bread, made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains, is naturally flavorful and bursting with nutrients. Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and natural fiber with no added fat. Try it served warm to release its exceptionally rich nutty flavor.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with Arnold's Sandwich thins - the multi grain. Wow - 100 calories for the 'bun'. Even my daughter loves them and she's really picky.

Check here for the ingredients: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/arnolds-select/multigrain-sandwich-thins/

Or here for their web site: http://www.sandwichthins.com/

They have rye and whole wheat too. I've been reading that Rye bread is really excellent for you as well.
  • SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Well my wife has a bread maker so maybe we could try the recipe.

Not sure how this will translate to a bread maker - but here's the "by hand" recipe... This one is slightly modified from the recipe my mom gave me (before life took over and she lost the time to do so, when I was a small child she would bake all our bread on a daily basis). Her recipe used all purpose flour, and regular sugar - I usually use whole wheat and honey, and I normally toss in a few tablespoons of dried herbs.

1 1/4 cup water
    1 packet of yeast
    1 tsp sugar (or sucanet or honey or agave)
    random herbs (optional)
    3/4 tsp salt (or garlic salt)
    aprox 3 1/8 cups whole wheat flour (but the exact amount will vary)

1. Let the tap water heat up, and then pour 1 1/4 cup war,/hot water into a large bowl. To this, add the packet of yeast and the sweetener (yeast will need a little of the sweetener to really get going). Cover with a hand towel and let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add in 1 cup whole wheat flour, the salt, and if wanted, another tsp of sweetener, as well as any herbs you want to toss in (the specifics vary for me depending on what I have on hand and what I feel like). Gently mix this up and then cover with towel for 30 minutes.

3. Little by little, stir in the flour until a spoon won't stir it - then turn out on a floured surface and slowly add more flour in, kneading as you go. The goal is to get a soft, pliable dough that does not stick. I kept track of the amount of flour I used last time I made this (so as to calculate the calories), and counting the 1 cup of starter flour, it shouldn't be much more than 3 cups total used.

4. When done kneading (about 10 minutes or so), divide dough into two sections... roll gently to elongate them a little (but do not pull to do so). Place two small dough loaves into greased loaf pans (or can place both on a greased cookie sheet for a more unformed look). Cover with a towel and let rise 45 minutes.

5. While bread is rising, pre-heat oven to 375 F. At the end of 45 minute rising, pop both loaves into the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like Dempster's Ancient Grains. :)
    mmmmm I love Ancient Grains bread. with almond butter melted allover it. You can even get Ancient grains bagels and wraps! ssooo good:happy:
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    hmmm bump for next time I go grocery shopping. Currently using white wheat and would like to try something healthier.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farms 100% Whole Grain Oatmeal Bread.

It is sooo good.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like Earth Grains 100% whole wheat. The also make thin buns that are 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain. They are 100 cals each. I don't like the Arnold sandwich thins cuz they put sucralose in them! Which makes me sad because I always used to like their breads. Natures Pride is good too.
  • elizabennett
    Options
    We like Orowheat Double Fiber is good. All of my kids will eat it, too. One slice has 6g of fiber.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Dempsters Whole Grains 12 grains