Activity Level Question

Options
I have a question about the activity level....what is the benefit to changing it from sedentary? Does it up your calories? I do computer support so I do sit most of the day but I walk at least 3 miles in the evenings. Should I keep it at sedentary? or change it to lightly active?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Replies

• krismonaco
    krismonaco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would leave it at sedentary since you sit for most of the day, but then log your walking under exercise so you can see how much you burn. This works for me because it gives me the motivation to exercise and I don't overeat on days when I don't.

Hope this helps!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    good question, i think keep it the way you have it, that way when you do activities, you can burn more calories or eat them back...
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I base my activity level off both job and lifestyle. I was not exercising regularly and my job is technically defined as a desk job, but there are certainly days I move a lot and am on my feet most of the time.

I have my set at sedentary, b/c I didn't want to fool myself when logging exercise. If you are already walking 3 miles daily, you can put "lightly active" but if I did that I wouldn't log my exercise in the evenings unless it was above and beyond the usual.

That's my personal opinion and how I would set it for myself.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I factor in my workouts because I want to set more reasonable goals. What works for me, though, may not work for everyone. Because I do factor in my overall activities, I don't eat my workout calories because that would be double dipping, and thereby counterproductive.

My advice is to do what works for you (either log the 3 miles or stick factor them in), but to avoid doubling up the deficit or the intake.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've always kept my level at sedentary, although I chase 3 litlte kids around all day/night. I only log my true exercise, so far its worked just fine.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Ok I do log my exercise and most of the time eat back about half of my exercise calories. So I think you guys are right to leave it at sedentary :)