7 Days into L.Mcdonalds Rapid Fat Loss

Options

Replies

• CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Looking at that...its simple...you arent eating enough. Starvation diets are fads and while the upfront appears to work, it's total fail on the rest of the body.

The theory behind it is to maintain 99% of your lean body mass while utilizing fat burning. Hence the extreme deficit. It's not 'starvation', it's just a big deficit.
    True, though, it's terrible for the rest of the body. Great for the appearance, terrible for the health.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've read the book and he explicitly says it's pretty horrible and that it's a short term thing... so you've done it short term, give it another week and move on to something else more sustainable now. I considered it several times, just to lose my last 8 or so pounds and to kickstart something new, I never make it to 10 am on the FIRST day (mostly psychological!)!!! I just cannot do it, so kudos to you for making it through that long.

He (Lyle McDonald) really does not recommend that diet for many people, so don't get the idea I'm congratulating the OP on doing well in a starvation diet, he says it's appropriate for certain people and I think it takes serious willpower to do this diet for as long as the OP did...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lyle's proposed regime for a friend of mine included :-

Essential Fatty Acids
    10g per day of fish oil capsules or liquid fish oils.

Water
    1 - 2 litres of cold water/day

Vegetables
    Unlimited amount of vegetables except starchy vegetables such as peas, carrots and corn.

Supplements
    1 Multivitamin/day
    3 - 5g of Sodium/day
    1g of Potassium/day
    500mg Magnesium/day
    600-1200mg Calcium/day

Drinking too much water and not taking in the sodium etc on a low carb diet is a bad idea.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Essential Fatty Acids

Water

Vegetables
    Unlimited amount of vegetables except starchy vegetables such as peas, carrots and corn.

Supplements
    1 Multivitamin/day
    3 - 5g of Sodium/day
    1g of Potassium/day
    500mg Magnesium/day
    600-1200mg Calcium/day

Drinking too much water and not taking in the sodium etc on a low carb diet is a bad idea.

The essential fatty acid or alpha-lineolic (omega3) comes from various sources including both fish oil and flaxseed oil. I had flaxseed in my fridge so I used that instead. Salt was added to every meal, as well as 1000mg of salt being in the tuna tin each day. As for everything else there, it was all covered as well. Multivitamins, calcium etc..all at normal levels.

What you said is exactly what is needed. If you're stating I didn't do it, well, I did. Except for only 1-2litres
    Of water. There's no way I could only drink that much.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Doing something you can easily do for ever and ever.... is the way to go. A lifestyle change.

^^THIS!!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I did a 5 day run of sub 20g carbs, and sub 20g fat..............similar results. I am intolerable on no carbs, can't be near anyone........it does work though.

One thing to be taken into consideration............when i was 60lbs heavier, i wouldn't have wasted my time with this, but as you get lighter and lighter, chasing lower and lower body fats, short term extremes work. That goes along with the maintaining the whole "lifestyle change."

When you have a large amount of body fat to lose, slow and steady is the way to go............but when you have smaller amounts, there is nothing wrong with chasing extremes. Extreme diets and workouts for extreme results. They can't be maintained long-term, but they can smash plateau's and get you re-motivated bigtime.

Ah, there's nothing here I can deny. Spot on. When you're getting down toward single digit bodyfat% territory, perhaps it is indeed one of the better ways to do it.

A large part is in the mind, though. Not saying I'm mentally the strongest person out there; but I know it's been a challenge and I know there's lots of people who simply couldn't do it.
    Then again, most of those people shouldn't even be trying to do it, because they're most likely not in need of the crash diets and need the long term, sustainable weight loss.

I just want to point out as well, because I've been noticing quite a few people my age now are having to have their gall bladders removed..(the organ that helps digest fat, etc) which is due to crash dieting, because it confuses your gall bladder and makes it work harder than it should...so it causes gall stones....

It isn't because of crash dieting. A large % of women get gall stones and need their gall bladders removed (esp women that are or have been pregnant); whether or not they crash dieted in the past is irrelevant.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Except for only 1-2litres Of water. There's no way I could only drink that much.
    Over-drinking wouldn't help and as you say the other issues were covered - thanks for filling in the blanks.

It is a bit protein heavy on reflection, and

"Dangers
    of excessive protein, defined as when protein constitutes > 35% of total energy
    intake, include hyperaminoacidemia, hyperammonemia, hyperinsulinemia nausea,
    diarrhea, and even death (the “rabbit starvation syndrome”) "

fits some of your symptoms.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Looking at that...its simple...you arent eating enough. Starvation diets are fads and while the upfront appears to work, it's total fail on the rest of the body.

It isn't a fad diet.

It is a specially designed crash diet meant for preparing you for a specific event. Even though it is applicable to a wider audience, it is designed for competition bodybuilders and fitness models. The idea is to rapidly drop fat while preserving as much muscle mass as possible; a post event rebound is totally expected.

It makes no bones about it, it is not a long term thing and not applicable to permanant changes, it is a crash diet and acknowledged as such.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've heard quite a few people's experiences with his RFL diet, and they all said they were miserable but it works very well. I'd never have the self control to be able to do it, and honestly I think only very overweight people should do it. But yeah make sure you follow his instructions 100% in order to be safe.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Ewww, sounds dreadful ..... hope you find something more user--friendly ..... best of luck !
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I've done one and a half rounds at category 2 and I just finished 11 days category one. I had a few of the side effects but not to this degree. It is true that when you are done you will gain back some water weight ( for me it was about five pounds ). After doing category I lost a bit over ten pounds and I am now at 12% body fat. My goal is 10% or less by September. For now I will eat at a moderate deficit until mid July, if I am not at 10% by then I will do one more round of category one. Come fall and winter it will be bulk time, then spring will come and it will start all over again.

Everyone reacts different to this diet. Would I recommend this for everyone? NO. Honestly, It is a very mentally taxing diet and can lead to binges and the like.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    WTF? that sounds terribly low in carbs. Jesus, get your carbs up to at least 50g ... really is it worth it? you sound miserable.

Is it worth it? Honestly, no. Like I said, I could've achieved the same results in a few more weeks and been happy :)

The whole point of the lack of carbs is to stay in ketosis and optimize the fat removal. Hence the no carbs.

This was all an experiment folks. I'm always keen to see what happens to my body with different things. Not going to be killing myself slowly doing this for a sustained amount of time.

I know someone else who had some very nasty side effects from this as well.

I hope you will be alright. You seemed to be doing well on your previous track.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stefbord
    stefbord Posts: 2
    Options
    WTF? that sounds terribly low in carbs. Jesus, get your carbs up to at least 50g ... really is it worth it? you sound miserable.

Is it worth it? Honestly, no. Like I said, I could've achieved the same results in a few more weeks and been happy :)

The whole point of the lack of carbs is to stay in ketosis and optimize the fat removal. Hence the no carbs.

This was all an experiment folks. I'm always keen to see what happens to my body with different things. Not going to be killing myself slowly doing this for a sustained amount of time.

I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if someone already said this, but ketosis is really bad for your body and especially for your kidneys. If you continue this diet for a long time (or any other high protein, low carb/fat diet) you can risk permanent damage to your kidneys. Diabetics who don't take care of themselves suffer from this and can end up on dialysis or needing a transplant (it is because their bodies don't properly use carbs if they don't take the right amount of insulin and it leads their body to believe it is starving to death...Diets shouldn't be about starving yourself!!!)

I hope that you recover and would urge you and anyone else thinking this is a good idea to think again!!!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    hmm. i am 4 days in and fine...:flowerforyou:
  • duetwithjosh
    duetwithjosh Posts: 121
    Options
    Ketosis, for me anyway, did get a lot easier after about a week in... and it was a very effective fatloss method. I didn't feel exceptionally mentally sharp, though, so I stopped after a couple of weeks.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if someone already said this, but ketosis is really bad for your body and especially for your kidneys. If you continue this diet for a long time (or any other high protein, low carb/fat diet) you can risk permanent damage to your kidneys. Diabetics who don't take care of themselves suffer from this and can end up on dialysis or needing a transplant (it is because their bodies don't properly use carbs if they don't take the right amount of insulin and it leads their body to believe it is starving to death...Diets shouldn't be about starving yourself!!!)

I hope that you recover and would urge you and anyone else thinking this is a good idea to think again!!!

You're confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis. Not the same thing.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Are you thinking of ketoacidosis?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I had the completely opposite experience in almost every aspect. The biggest take away for me was learning about my body and how it reacts in extreme situations.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Lyle does not recommend crash dieting in most cases. Despite this, he acknowledges that people will do it anyway. And if you're going to do it, this is how you should do it in order to optimally retain your LBM. And RFL works great for that.

Essential Fatty Acids

Water

Vegetables

Supplements
    1 Multivitamin/day
    3 - 5g of Sodium/day
    1g of Potassium/day
    500mg Magnesium/day
    600-1200mg Calcium/day

The essential fatty acid or alpha-lineolic (omega3) comes from various sources including both fish oil and flaxseed oil. I had flaxseed in my fridge so I used that instead. Salt was added to every meal, as well as 1000mg of salt being in the tuna tin each day. As for everything else there, it was all covered as well. Multivitamins, calcium etc..all at normal levels.

What you said is exactly what is needed. If you're stating I didn't do it, well, I did. Except for only 1-2litres
    Of water. There's no way I could only drink that much.
    Flaxseed is not an adequate replacement for the fish oil. Also, it doesn't matter if the water is cold or not.