No days off

Options
I've come to the conclusion that I can't take days off from the gym... or maybe I can, and I just need to learn how. I go hard at the gym every time I am there, and know that I need at least one day off. Yesterday was the only day that I didn't got the gym this week and I ate like pure crap. I felt like crap this morning when I woke up, and my body completely rejected all the 'crap' that I put in it.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• staci2468
    staci2468 Posts: 25
    Options
    you could maybe try doing a little lower intensity cardio 1 or 2 days a week to give your body a small break but not fall off the wagon. You could even skip the gym these days and go for a bike ride or brisk walk/jog.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the eating pure crap made you feel a lot worse than taking a day off from the gym. It works that way for me. Now it's just about breaking the notion that a day off from exercise means a day of indulging in everything bad.

The reality is your body needs some rest time so avoiding the gym for a day may do you more good than your normal workout.
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    On my "off" day, I either do an hour or two of yoga or deep stretching. I'm giving my body a break, but I'm also helping it stay limber.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i agree with someone else who said take a nice long brisk walk once a week INSTEAD of the gym. it's still great exercise and great for the soul! let your mind wander and relax.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I take two days off a week from the gym...but I am usually in the pool those days, home cleaning house or on my stationary bike at home.
  • recklessenigma
    Options
    Have at least one rest day though, your body needs it -- just change the intensity of your work-outs.

Such as high intensity: M/W/F
    Low intensity: Tu/Thurs/Sat
    Rest Day: Sunday

I used to be a ballerina where I danced/worked-out six days out of a week. And after every eight weeks, I would take at least three-five days off to let my body recuperate with training. Those days, all I did was yoga and lots of stretching.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i always make sure i at least ride my bike to work on my days off, and often also a long walk with my pup. nothing is intense, but at least i'm getting some movement in and calories burned.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A rest day doesn't necessarily mean sitting all day on the sofa watching TV, treat it as an active recovery day. Go for a low intensity run or bike ride, go swimming, go for a walk.

Another strategy that may help is developing a hobby that keeps your mind occupied. The old saying that idle hands are the devils playground is so true. Take up bird watching, learning to play a musical instrument, learn a second language - it doesn't matter what it is (other than that it's something that genuinely interest you) as long as it keeps you from boredom eating.
  • NicoleG_86
    NicoleG_86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    On my "off" day, I either do an hour or two of yoga or deep stretching. I'm giving my body a break, but I'm also helping it stay limber.

This sounds like a good idea. That way you can get the yoga in to help your body recoup from your workouts, cause let's face it- your workouts are hardcore. If you did them everyday, your knee would make you take a break... and it would be longer than you wanted.

If you can't get to/ can't afford a yoga class, they have yoga dvd's on amazon for good prices. Also they have yoga workouts on YouTube for freek.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I went 54 straight days for doing and hour of cardio in the morning and an hour of weight training at night. Thats almost 8 full weeks without a day off. My body was wrecked. I was not losing weight and felt tired all the time. Took a few days off and now have a scheduled off day every weekend and the pounds are starting to fly off again.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to bring the Bible into this for fear of offending anyone but...

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.