Water?

Options

Replies

• JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    What is negative water exactly?

Wouldn't going to the bathroom (#1) be negative water?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Can black coffee be counted as water?

No.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    From Mayo Clinic:

I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

And like everything else, your body doesn't build up a resistance to caffeine? Been jittery after a cup of coffee lately? Didn't think so either. Drink the coffee, you'll still take on water just not as much as a glass of water in the same size cup.

Rank this with another broscience/hoscience myth along with the pound if muscle weighing heavier than a pound of fat.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So...for the 'only water is water' people.

If I drink a cup of black coffee, then drink a cup of water, how much water is that? 1 cup?
    What if instead, I pour the water into the black coffee and drink it, how much water is that?

Haha that is great! I love it!
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    From a nutritionist I have seen in the past, she allowed anything that was non-caffeinated to be counted toward water consumption. Her reason was caffeine makes one lose water.

Another reason why "nutritionist" is synonymous with "science illiterate" in my books.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

If I drink a cup of black coffee, then drink a cup of water, how much water is that? 1 cup?
    What if instead, I pour the water into the black coffee and drink it, how much water is that?

A lot of the "only water is water" argument is based on a very simple premise - drinking a little bit too much water (say, an extra 4 cups a day) has absolutely no side effects except an extra visit or two to the bathroom. Drinking not quite enough water, while not terribly serious, is more harmful overall.

8 8oz glasses of water is overkill for most people. Insisting that all of it be pure water and not counting caffeinated or alcoholic beverages a little more overkill. Insisting that you drink MORE plain water to offset "impure" beverages even more so.

But it's harmless overkill. Overdosing on water takes at least four times what any rational person would drink - 4-5 gallons a day or more than a gallon in a given half-hour.

Drink up! If you're drinking more than is necessary to keep your urine a pale yellow, you aren't really helping yourself out. But you aren't going to hurt yourself either.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/healthy_water.shtml

Yes tea, coffee and juices count, they're liquid aren't they? Can't believe people still think that the caffeine in these drinks have ANY affect any hydration in these quantities
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    untrue. it hydrates less than normal water, but sodas and coffee still hydrate. this is a long perpetuated myth.

I agree. For years my mom only drank coffee.. nothing else.. she didn't die of dehydration. Now, she wasn't healthy, and has since had health issued and changed her diet a bit, to include some water and other fluids. But, it has to hydrate at least a little.

I don't count coffee though, or anything else for that matter. I want to drink more plain water, and by only counting plain water, I push myself to do so.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    YOU can count coffee as exercise if YOU want to, it's your log.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    By sortin:
    "So...for the 'only water is water' people.

What if instead, I pour the water into the black coffee and drink it, how much water is that?"

:laugh: :laugh: I like this answer the best.
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes it can. I belong to a watch loss organization and corporate has determined it counts. Good Luck and still drink your water.
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So much helpful information. I think for me drinking 16ozs of water to every cup of my coffee is a good plan. Now if I'm able to do that is a different story. The color of urine was great and I have placed in MFP folder. That will help me to judge if I'm on a good path. MFP is so helpful with members giving such a wide range of ideas and thoughts and I find that invaluable. To everyone thanks again.
  • Going4Healthy
    Going4Healthy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was always told that any liquid intake counts toward your water!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I haven't been counting my water at all the past week or so =p
    I drink a sh*z load.. I only count regular plain water because I don't really drink anything else. I'm the kind of person that gets annoyed when someone says 'Oh, I'm SO thirsty...' and then grabs a soda and chugs it O.o
    When I was counting my water, I only counted water =) Not my coffee.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I don't count it - it has calories.... but as another user said, it is a matter of preference...
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    untrue. it hydrates less than normal water, but sodas and coffee still hydrate. this is a long perpetuated myth.

Great minds think alike?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't count it - it has calories.... but as another user said, it is a matter of preference...

And what do calories have to do with it??
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I only count water. I drink a ton of it though.

(I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them.)
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options

LMAO - that was beautifully said! Thanks for a great chuckle....
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You can. The caffeine has a slight diuretic effect, but not enough to be significant in regular coffee. Espresso would be a different story.

Espresso tends to have less caffeine than regular brewed coffee.

I only count water as water.