Any Slow Losers out there....I need some motivation

Options
DeniseB0711
DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
Anyone else averaging about a .5lb to 1lb a week? GIve me your motivational and inspirational story...feeling kind of BLAH today. I was hoping for a bit more weight loss than 4lbs in 4 weeks. LOL

Denise

Replies

• superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so I have a very hard time as well. Some weeks I might see 2 lbs and then I'll go 2 weeks with no loss. : ( It's very frustrating and it makes me want t give up sometimes. Just remember that weight that comes off slowly is more likely to stay off. Stick with it! I'm just starting over today so you can add me if you want.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm losing at an average of 0.3lbs per week, and I've been doing this day in, day out, since November 2010.

Don't be disheartened, as long as you know that every day is better than it was before you started this journey. You're still losing, and you'll reach your goal the same as everyone else.
  • Elizabeethan
    Elizabeethan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise ... I'm a slow loser too. I've been doing this 45 days and lost about 6 pounds. I can be impatient, so this is a real source of frustration for me. I'm sticking with it though, because I'm starting to feel the change in how my clothing fits! Hang in there ... it will happen for you too. Oh ... I noticed a correlation in the more water I drink, the quicked I seem to lose. I'm not a big water fan, but I bought a 24 ounce water bottle and I try to drink 2 of them a day now. I feel like it might be helping.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm probably one of the slowest losers you will ever meet! Took me 6 years to lose 100 pounds and 6 1/2 years to get to goal. But I'm so glad I took my time and stuck with it. I think it's really helped with a lot of the struggles of maintenance.

Just hang in there and remember that any loss is a good loss... and beats gaining weight! :flowerforyou:
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I first started last fall, I lost weight at a rate of about 2 lbs per week. Then I hit what felt like a brick wall. Every Friday morning the scale kept telling me the same thing, no weight loss.....for 6 months! Last Friday though I was finally 2 lbs lighter and so darn excited to weigh in that day, my hard work was starting to pay off.

During these 6 months I also started taking photos on the 1st of each month in the bikini I am planning to wear on vacation at the end of June. I knew the scale can be a big liar so I wanted to see if I could see the changes I felt had to be happening with how hard I was working out and not to mention how hungry I was on a daily basis trying to stay within my calorie count. I also increased my daily calorie intake limit from 1200/day to 1340/day. Been doing this for the last 2 months and well, the 2 lbs speak for themself.

As for motivation, lean on your MFP friends, read the success posts for motivation and stay positive. Try little things and make sure to celebrate Non-Scale Victories. I get so excited when a pair of pants that previously was a bit snug is now easily zipped and buttoned. Or when my knee-high socks don't pinch. Still waiting for the day I can turn in the mirror and not have back fat - oh I am so looking forward to the day.

Feel free to add me as a friend and any time you need a laugh, kind word, a jolt or cattle prod, I'll be there for ya.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I don't have any great stories, b/c I'm in a yearlong rut myself, but I can tell you that if I really work hard, I can lose weight quickly. It's just motivating myself to continue where I get stuck and fall back into bad habits.

GL...even only half a pound a week is over 25 pounds a year. And think, the slower it comes off, the more likely we are to keep it off b/c our body will experience that change gradually instead of drastically!
  • nellybutler
    Options
    I lose weight very slowly. Averageing 0.5lbs some weeks and zero others.However in total i have lost 9lbs and i can feel the difference. So don't lose heart ,slow and steady is better than boom and burst. Keep your chin up.:
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm a slow loser, I love 25 lbs in a year but there have been many many weeks where I would lose and then gain it right back the next week.. this goes on for months sometimes. I changed to more clean eating and that helped me drop 7 lbs but it is still a struggle.
  • BrilliantResilient1
    BrilliantResilient1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and it has been a struggle. I was recently told to seek a nutritionists after getting a physical check up, and try a personal training session to see what exercises and foods work best with your specific situation. I've been up and down between 5 and 10 lbs after losing 20 which took about 5 or 6 months. Good luck with your journey! From one slow loser to another.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    6 months and 12 lb down. 3-4 more to go, I want to see those abs! I'lll go for weeks without losing then all of a sudden a pound or two drops off. I eat back all my exercise calories, average between 300-500 exercise cals a day. Love the slow loss, I get to indulge in chocolate everyday and not feel deprived. It took me 10 years to gain the excess weight so what's a few months for taking it off?
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    TOTAL SLOW LOSER HERE. I just started loosing some weight the last week and I have been working at this for 6 months. It is a slow process. Hang in there. Mix up your workout. Try something new.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been losing since last September and have lost 30 pounds- which averages out to about 0.75# per week.

It is very frustrating- especially when you see someone who's lost 10+ pounds in one month. But- I'm not depriving myself too much- and I don't workout every single day. The way I'm living is sustainable- and I know I can do this for the rest of my life- instead of working out like crazy, losing a ton, then going back to my "regular" life and gaining it all back.

Some days- I really get down in the dumps, too. Just keep your head high and know that you're being good to your body... even if it doesn't necessarily show!

PS- take pics and measurements... they tell another story than the scale!!!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    A little over 2 months of being here......only 6 lb loss.....completely my fault....i am not perfect at this!!
    San :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    4 lbs in 4 weeks isn't slow.... :wink:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow loser too (it's taken me 2.5 years to los 85 pounds and will likely take me another year to get to goal) but I'm fine with it because any loss is a good loss! And what's the big rush anyway? As long as you're not in some competition, it shouldn't matter how quickly it comes off. Plus, the slower you lose it, the more likely it will stay off.

According to the ticker on your profile page, you have 9 pounds to lose. Considering that, a loss of 1/2 to 1 pound per week is a nice healthy rate so you're actually right on target. Be proud of your success!!
  • idziak04
    idziak04 Posts: 69
    Options
    I started this thing (pretty seriously) on March 1st of this year. In a little over 3 months i have lost 14 pounds. I have averaged right around 1 pound a week. I am OK with that because I didn't gain this weight in a month so it definitely will not come off in a month's time either. Just hang in there, you are doing great!
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It is tough I know. But the way I deal with the REALLY down times is; Each pound I lose is a pound that is gone for good. As I've heard many times before from others 'you didn't gain all that weight in a short period time so you are not going to lose in a short period of time.

I've been really slow if not back tracking a little lately but than I realized I haven't been at the weight I'm at right now in over 5 years.
    So right now I'm quite happy being the tortoise in life and not the hare.
  • Nikkislim32
    Nikkislim32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just started to slow down about 2-3 weeks ago. I was losing a 1 lb a week when I restarted my journey in February. Now it's only .5 lbs a week. In the past I would have given up for sure. My bf has reminded me to look at big picture. We will get to our goals eventually:flowerforyou: .
  • frenchie2727
    frenchie2727 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to get discouraged and frustrated, I totally understand. Sometimes I feel tempted to revert back to unhealthy methods (no carbs, 500 cals a day with diet pills) just to see the scale move a bit faster. It's been very slow for me too, but I know I'm doing the right thing for my body with food intake and exercise. Hopefully my body will start to trust me again soon and let go of a few pounds!! I had to stop putting timeframes on my weight loss and just take each day one at a time. I actually went so far as to put a weight goal on every Friday of my phone calendar! When I wasn't reaching those goals each Friday and feeling bad about it, I decided to delete them all. I was really hoping to be much further ahead by now (timeframe again) because I have a beach party to go to on Sunday. BUT I know I'm doing the best I can and by the next beach party I'll be further along than I am now.

Sorry I don't have a success story (yet) for you, but you're definitely not alone :)
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am/was a slow loser.
    It took me a little over 6 months to lose 20 lbs.
    Most of that came after April when I picked up my focus more and got the support on here that I didn't have IRL.
    I also started doing the C25K program. I think I am losing more inches with that than actual weight.
    But it's still a loss somewhere.

Try taking pics every month to see your progress.
    I'll bet you'll be surprised.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!