I am a sugar addict and need help!

Options
I have been overweight most of my life. I love eating healthy things like fruits, veggies, milk, yogurt, tree nuts, beans, lean protein etc. etc. My biggest problem is i LOVE sugar and that is usually my downfall on any diet. I have tried cutting out sugar completely and of course binged on it later, and i have tried cutting it down but its difficult when i go to the store and see the candy isle. Does anyone have any tips on ways to curb my sugar cravings? Or some recipes or items you have found in stores that are low in fat and calories that I can eat to but wont pack the pounds on?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    More protein and fat, less carbohydrates. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Up until 2 weeks ago, candy was always on my shopping list...not now. I dont even go down the aisle.

I sure wish I could give you a magic way to stop it. I had to do it cold turkey. I have 2 bags of candy (chocolate covered pretzels and non-pareils) in the fridge....havent touched them. Its a choice I made to lose this weight. And I not that strong a person, really. I this is my last chance to get the weight off an be healthy.

Now the only things sweet I eat are the occasional Jell-O sugar free pudding or gelatin. You could try those. :)
  • Pearl0105
    Pearl0105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too am a sugar addict! I have tried everything from going cold turkey and later binging on everything sweet in sight. I have even stopped buying sweet things and later found myself heading to the store to get my sugar fix:embarassed: ..... But I think I have found a solution. I started including my sugar fixes in my calories or worked out extra and that has helped me greatly. I dont crave it anymore since I am not denying myself that cookie or piece of chocolate. You just have to find a balance. Rember this is a lifestyle change...... I dont see myself going years without my sugar! :smile:
  • AndMee
    AndMee Posts: 23
    Options
    Don't look at your goal here as a diet, look at it as more of a life change. How do you get from point "A" to point "B" in a car? Is there an obstacle? If so, how do you manage to get around it?

This life change you are making is similar. You like sweets! Okay. The first month will be the hardest because the limitation set by whatever program was decided on, but you can curve your cravings by the begining of the second month and not feel as guilty. Your obstacle is not just a log in the road it is a course and will all courses it takes time.

I love me some warm yummy gooey chocolate chip cookies. Have I completely taken them out of my "diet", heck no! Why, moderation. In the begining of me tracking everything I was eating, I was shocked as to how many calories I was taking in. I tried to stay within my caloric range, but I felt hungry, tired, and miserable. I tracked everyday the first 2 months and I noticed by the end of the 2nd week going into the 3rd week I was able to manage my food intake more and this was with me having my sweets.

It is going to take time for your body to adjust. You may feel like you've lost control on some days, while others you are on target. Take this life change one day at a time. If you eat a piece of pie before bed everyday, ok, just cut down on how much. Instead of a whole piece eat 3/4 of it. Over time you may not feel you want that piece of pie every night.

I have low calorie desserts most nights - Skinny Cow products are good, Swiss Miss has a frozen fudge bar that is yummy, and usually the real fruit bars are low in cals too BUT I still have a warm yummy gooey chocolate chip cookie every week or two.
  • mccollumse
    mccollumse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar addict also. I found that by eating fruit instead (watermelon, strawberries, grapes, etc), that after a week or two I lost the extreme urge for sugar.

I do have some light popsicles (banana flavor). They are only 15 cals. each. And sometimes I have no-sugar jellybeans.