Red Wine??

Options
I've read a glass of wine can be good for your health. I also read it's supposed to be Red?? I only ever drink white cuz red tastes bitter to me. Does anyone know of a Red Wine that is Sweet? Or does that even exist?

Replies

• angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention I'm in Southern California. I'm not sure if that makes a difference as to the availability I can choose from
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Beringer merlot is farily sweet and widely available. It's also very inexpensive - around $10 a bottle. I'm a huge pinot noir fan and my favorite is Fiddlehead which has limited availability and runs about $40 a bottle. It's a very smooth wine. I also like La Crema pinot noir and that runs around $20 a bottle.

A good red will not be bitter but will be smooth without an aftertaste. Try some and see what you think.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Barefoot Sweet Red is yummy & cheap $5/bottle.
  • angieskia
    Options
    So is it true that for Helath Benefits it should Be Red & Not White or do both give the same Benefits?
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Barefoot actually makes a Sweet Red. Pretty mild flavor for a red too, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.
  • angieskia
    Options
    Is Barefoot available in most stores? I live on a Military Base that has a store with wine. I've never checked out the Reds though
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Cupcake winery - The petite syrah is so good.

http://www.cupcakevineyard.com
  • khartley535
    Options
    My mother just picked up a bottle of it at the Class Six here in Oklahoma.

Barefoot is a pretty popular brand. I really like their Merlot. You shouldn't have a problem finding it.
  • angieskia
    Options
    Sorry to Reapeat but Would a glass of White have the same Health Benefits as Red?
  • khartley535
    Options
    I don't believe so. I think it has something to do with the tanins found in red wine.
  • angieskia
    Options
    Awesome Thank you so Much Khart!!!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    actually I think its the reseveratrol that makes red healthier than white.
  • wrdunbar
    Options
    I am a white wine drinker - primarily Chardonnay - However I really like the Menage a trois California Red is really good and reasonably priced. http://menageatroiswines.com/#california-red
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you want it really sweet go with something like Lambrusco, or a white/red blend. You can also go for sangria or a spritzer made with a low cal mixer. Mulled red wine could also be an option.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry to Reapeat but Would a glass of White have the same Health Benefits as Red?

It's debatable. From Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089)
    How is red wine heart healthy?
    Red wine seems to have even more heart-healthy benefits than other types of alcohol, but it's possible that red wine isn't any better than beer, white wine or liquor for heart health. There's still no clear evidence that red wine is better than other forms of alcohol when it comes to possible heart-healthy benefits.

Antioxidants in red wine called polyphenols may help protect the lining of blood vessels in your heart. A polyphenol called resveratrol is one substance in red wine that's gotten attention
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love red wine. I have definitely heard that it is red wine that has the health benifits over white....but I am not sure why! Not much help am I? lol

My favorites is probably Wolf Blass Shirz. Mmmmmmm
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OR ADVERTISEMENT

I did a research study in college, it was a blind study so I wasn't sure what wines I was testing until after it was done. I did analytical testing on various wines (probably 50 or more) (and NO I didn't drink them! lol) to see how much of the trans-resveratrol was in them. I tested red and white wines from various wineries. It was proven that if you have wines made from muscadine or scuppernong grapes the red vs. white is very similar. Also, the levels of t-res were much higher in these wines. Specifically those from Duplin Wine Cellars. The muscadine and scuppernong were higher because they a lot more of the "lace" on them. This is when you look at the grape and see what looks like a lacework pattern on the skin. This shows were the grape has been attacked and responsded. their response increases their t-res content. Duplin specifically was higher because they do not dilute their pressings with anything. By law a bottle of wine can contain up to 30% of something other than the grape juice pressed from the original grapes. They actually sold their second pressings to other wineries to make wine from. A lot of what you buy contains 30% water. The muscadine and scuppernong grapes are vitis rotundifolia and the European grapes are vitis vinifera. Comparison of Duplin to other wines made from European grapes showed that theirs was between 10 - 80 times more potent in trans-resveratrol no matter whether I tested white or red. I am not a wine drinker, but if I am going to have wine I buy theirs. Partly because I have seen their process and it is very manual, not industrialized and because they are a local (NC) company but also because in addition to potential health benefits it tastes better.