weight watchers

Options
anyone doing it?

Replies

• kimmvpt
    kimmvpt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    NEVER worked for me. I have found tacking what I eat and sticking to the out rim of the Grocery store helps. Portion control (weighing and messuring everything helps) Still eatting fab meals just better stuff :)....good luck.
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    I used to do WW online and it had me eating a ton of calories or points~ No wonder I wasnt losing any weight~ I love the support I recieve on MFP plus it's FREE!:glasses:
  • mcwaners
    mcwaners Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers on-line for almost 2 years and I lost almost 50 lbs. so it does work. Once they changed to what they call the points-plus system, I had a harder time with it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to maintain the loss. I have only been doing MFP for a few weeks, but so far I find tracking food and exercise to be much easier with this program.
  • brucemily
    brucemily Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done WW twice before and the support was great. I'm an emotional eater so going to meetings once a week and hearing other people's struggles was a BIG help; made me feel a lot less alone.

The program itself is ok, but after years of tracking points it was a switch for me to start counting calories. Personally, I like MFP for the plan and WW for the support. I gave up WW because it was too expensive, but for anyone who really needs emotional support in working through your food issues, that is a good place to start.
  • snugs435
    snugs435 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing WW and have succeeded in the past, but with the new plan I am overeating. Probably just me, but I am really liking the layout of MFP and IT'S FREE. More money in my pocket now, can't complain about that!
  • keish84
    keish84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers for about 3 months, I did lose weight but then it stopped. I joined MFP but was paid up for another month of WW. I followed MFP but continued to go in for my weigh ins. The weight started coming off again but they were under the impression that I was still following the WW program. I honestly think MFP is way better as it takes everything into account fruits and veggies. With WW a banana is 0 points; on MFP a banana is approx. 105 cals. There are NO foods that are 0 of anything and it should all be counted. Support is also way better on MFP. I find MFP also a lot more realistic, if you over eat and go over you cals you have to exercise in order to balance off or if you want to eat more. I personally love MPF a lot more.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Weightwatchers is really great for beginners. I have been on and off weight watchers for many many years. I find it easier to track points becuse there's no debate about how much to eat. On MFP there are people who tell you to eat 1200,1500,1800 calories and since I can never figure out what I really should eb eating I struggle. With WW I know what to do and as long as I"m within my points i'm losing. I'm currently tracking points and have lost 7lbs in 7 weeks.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Im not doing it now. But I have in the past and I think it's a great program! Most importantly of all it is a sustainable one! People can use it forever. Which is awesome :) some other ones require you to buy their food and stuff. It DOES work, it's a great program. I lost a lot with it about 10 years ago. Gained it back because I didn't stick to it.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    answers from all over the board.. thanks guys!!!
  • kdetmar
    kdetmar Posts: 13
    Options
    I was doing weight watchers online and lost 86 pounds with it. However, it does get expensive and I truly believe that weight loss is slow because you do eat more than is recommended. I think its a way of keeping you on the program longer. With that being said, its a great program if you can afford it. It gives you lifestyle changes tips and it DOES WORK! I do not think I would be here without weight watchers. MFP is great and free, it is a lot to get use too instead of counting points :) Hope this helps!!

5313702.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've done WW many times and have had success but I started eating the same things all the time because I didn't want ot calculate the points. I like being able to just track calories and not having the extra step of converting to points. The group support was great but you can get that here and it's free.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Im the opposite of many MFP members here. I have been on MFP for over a year. Granted I was pregnant for part of that year, Im currently at the same weight I was last year at this time, despite eating very healthy and exercising 5x per week. I havn't gotten the scale to budge for 10 weeks. PPL told me i needed to increase my calories. I did that. Didn't work. Some people say you need to eat less calories, others say you need more calories. MFP had me set at 1200 net per day. That worked for a couple of weeks but after that it didn.t Most ppl told me up to BMR. That hasn't shown results yet either.

I have been talking to my doctor about my struggle and she suggested WW. I thought it was a gimic and i wasn't even going to consider it, but this weekend I joined. I found out that my health insurance will pay for 3 months of it! So its a win-win for me! I like the support on MFP much better and i think the MFP site is more user friendly than the WW sites, but i like what one of the PPs said, about the points verses calories. With the points, i just follow it. Im not ssecond guessing myself (ie. should i eat 1200 calories or should i up to bmr, etc). It takes the guess work out. And i also like that has me tracking water and fruits and veggies. You check it off each time and that really helps me stay focused. ...i am using MFP alongside WW. and i'll probably always be here. but if this does end up working, then im going to remain on it until i get to my goal weight. Ive had a lot of friends who have had great sucess with WW. One of them lost 65lb! Honestly, i havn't heard anything negative about it, except for the price (which FYI: for a couple more days they are running a deal. basically wavering the sign up fee. You only pay $1 for the fee instead of $29 if you pay for 3 months). but luckily i didn't have to worry about that since my insurance is reimbursing me for it. it may be worth checking with your insurance too.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of doing WW and had success with it in the past (about 5 years ago) but have since regained that weight plus a little more. I wasn't keen to be paying for WW and a friend recommended this site, which is free, and kind of seems to provide the same things!
  • tats802
    tats802 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found that tracking EACH item you eat on this is better for me than WW. While your fruits and veggies are "free" in points, they are still calories! I like the fact that I can add those on here and I love the exercise calories they give.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If WW works for me, and if i get to my goal weight with it, then i am going to keep track of everything on here and not keep the WW account. I dont see the point in paying WW for maintenance.
  • jellybean82
    jellybean82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers Online in mid April and have lost more weight and inches with that plan than by following MFP for a few months.

I think *my* issue was I would beat myself up if I went over my 1200 limit, I would feel pangs of guilt whenever I was slightly over and felt like I was cheating on my diet. With WW you have flex points so I don't get those pangs of guilt. :laugh:

I don't find the WW online boards very helpful though. I'll post a question and not get any response. I still come to MFP because I find the boards here more motivating, people post similar questions I have (that get answered) and I find great recipes that fall within my points limit.

Yes it sucks having to pay for WW but when factoring in the long term benefits, it's peanuts. It's either pay for a WW membership now or for the various medications I was going to need down the road for cholesterol, diabetes etc. I was definately on that path and was told at my last dr's appointment that I needed to do something about it or I would be on meds. (I'm 29)

You just have to stick with what works! It's different for everybody. :smile:
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose. I started with weight watchers and dropped 30 lbs pretty quick, but I had a lot to lose. I needed to be more strict and count calories after that to lose the rest.
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers Online in mid April and have lost more weight and inches with that plan than by following MFP for a few months.

I think *my* issue was I would beat myself up if I went over my 1200 limit, I would feel pangs of guilt whenever I was slightly over and felt like I was cheating on my diet. With WW you have flex points so I don't get those pangs of guilt. :laugh:

I don't find the WW online boards very helpful though. I'll post a question and not get any response. I still come to MFP because I find the boards here more motivating, people post similar questions I have (that get answered) and I find great recipes that fall within my points limit.

Jellybean - how many points are you currently at?
  • Mary831331
    Mary831331 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a WW lifetime member. I met my goal about 2 years ago, but I quit going to meetings on a continual basis, and over the last 2 years, I gained the 30 lbs. back that I had lost. At one time, we had an awesome leader, and I am still good friends with her. She had to quit being a WW leader because it interfered too much with her family life (didn't have time for her kids). Anyway, once she quit, our whole Monday night class pretty much felt apart. Alot of people left, but my daughter and I pretty much stayed, but we both gained our weight back. Now we have a leader that hasn't been around for months. Not sure what's going on. Anyway, I feel that the PP program makes me want to eat all the time. Not sure what it is, but since I've been on this site, I don't want to eat all the time. I want to exercise like everyone else, and this site is helping me so much. I haven't gone to a meeting in 3 weeks because the class has gotten sooo boring and unmoving, but I may go next Monday. I think WW is a very good program and unlike other programs, they teach you what good food is, and you don't have to eat their food.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I did it for years. I think it's a great program and it works for a lot of people. I found over time that I was not one of those people, and I am a lot happier after making the switch to MFP about 3 months ago. There are pros and cons to each, and I think you just have t find which works better for your life and personality. There isn't one single solution or program that works for everyone.