Atkins Induction

Options
Hi everyone,

I started the Atkins diet yesterday after losing a considerable amount of weight on it a few years back.

I have reset my ticker and goals on food. You'll see (if you add me as a friend!) that my calories are set at 1500 and total carbs at 19g (it is reccommended that you don't go over 20g)

Would love to hear from anybody else who as just started

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't message me any negative comments about the Atkins, I am fully aware of the side effects/risks etc!

Nikki <3

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the recommended 20g limit is for NET CARBS = TOTAL CARBS minus FIBER as this site uses US conventions.

So keep your eye on the nutrition data you use as it may or may not have fibre included within the carbohydrates. UK / EU labelling does not include fibre in carbs so 20g of the labelled carbohydrates is correct in that case.

Good Luck !
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Niki please take a look into Paleo diet
  • Czalma
    Czalma Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Nikki! I just started also... For the second time as well. Good luck to us! :-)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I hate induction, so I am trying to stick to 50g net carbs. Having trouble getting my calories in, so usually I am closer to 75g net so I have a chance of having positive net calories.

I started 3 weeks ago and have lost about 7 pounds. The last few weeks the weather has been hot and I feel like water weight has been an issue...
  • spudnut81
    spudnut81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nikki,
    I too lost 60 lbs. several years back using Atkins. Just got started on MFP to hopefully get back on track. Wish you the best.

Spudnut81
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Make sure y'all check out the low-carb groups here on mfp. You won't have to filter out the folks telling you it's a bad diet.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=carb

Anybody doing lowcarb can feel free to add me :)
  • kristiharoldsen
    Options
    Hey! I just started this week too and Ive lost 4.5lbs already. Check out the Kirkland brand protein shakes, they are 3g carbs and 2g fiber making them only 1 net carb and the vanilla tastes great. Good luck!
  • Vespasian
    Vespasian Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Nikki,

What a coincidence I just started this diet on May 30, 2012. I have tried various diets in the past that didn't work/last long; low fat, calorie counting, fasting blah, blah blah. One thing about them was that they always left me feeling hungry even after I ate which was my doom as after a couple of weeks I would cheat and then I was cramming the carbs again.

About 35 years ago (when I was a lot thinner than I am now) I had a formal event coming up and could no longer fit into my suit. I mentioned this to my doctor and he gave me a 2 week meal plan called the Army or Air Force x x x diet. I tried it for the 2 weeks and I lost 25 lbs. and was able to get back into my suit. Looking back on it now it was the Atkins diet (induction phase) before Atkins was Atkins.

I did a bunch of research on this diet before I started and I feel that if you follow Atkins' advice going beyond induction and into the other phases it will change your eating patterns forever. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers most only repeat what someone else has said and don't really have any first hand knowledge of Atkins. Closely held beliefs (dogma) are always very hard to let go of.

Be sure to get the book 'Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution' and read it cover to cover.

Good luck.
  • jgiese7
    jgiese7 Posts: 3
    Options
    I started the Atkins diet back in Feb, but fell off the wagon pretty quick after losing 10lbs in a week. I actually never gained any of it back which shocked me. However, now I have a better mind set and started up again beginning of April. I have lost 29lbs so far and 2lbs from my first mini goal! I have always had trouble losing weight. After I had my daughter I had kept 50 of those pounds. I had tried weight watchers and I would follow it to the T and never saw a result. My mom told me to just try Atkins and here I am! Losing weight! I won't lie. I do cheat at least once a week. Either its a very carby meal or a night of drinking. Even with the cheating, my mindset is so strong that I am right back at the diet in the morning. I do work out occasionally. My daughter gives me a great work out most days. Nothing like chasing a 17 month old around! LOL.

I love to have an Atkins Mocha Latte Shake or a Cafe Caramel Shake for breakfast. Those are my favorites. It kills my starbucks cravings!!! Sometimes I will have an Atkins bar before bed. If I need to snack I eat one serving of nuts or have a couple Old Wisconsin beef sticks. Other favorites for snacking are: Sugar free jello, sugar free real fruit popcycles, sugar free pudding. For meals my favorite is tacos! I use low carb shells and also just do a taco salad. I do have to learn more recipes for meals. I try to keep my carbs below 25g but try not to go over 30g. I dont eat fish. At all. Any ideas left me know! Any slow cooker meals???

Good luck to everyone on the diet!
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm not on induction but I eat low carb. It varies but I have my goals set to 20% carbs. You can add me if you'd like. I'll support you.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just signed up for the Atkins Diet plan. and well, I don't know why everyone is sayin its all low carb????
    Cuz for my meal plan its pancakes and waffles on some days and a lot of the things I like already...
    Um, to be honest, I signed up for it so I can get more "MEAL IDEAS". I actually have a few different Diet accounts for just this reason. I take certain meals off each plan so I can Incorporate them into my own daily meals :)

OMG! AND THE DESERTS ON THEIR ARE FREAKIN AMAZING!
    Ive saved every recipe I like so far :)