Lifting routine ok?

Options
I hate lifting weights, but I recent was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, which means my basketball days are over for a while. So I started lifting. Here is the routine I am doing:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm

Did I mention I hate lifting?

For those of you who know, how is this lifting program if I am doing 2-3 sets of each exercise and going 2-3 times a week?

I feel like I am backsliding in my weight loss really hard... you don't get the same satisfaction of feeling like you burned calories when you're just lifting. Anyone else feel this way, or am I perhaps taking it too easy?

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Not really the program I'd recommend starting. You can get a good burn from lifting weights. It's a very different burn. While basketball would be an aerobic exercise, strength training is anaerobic. Biggest difference is, with anaerobic, you will continue to burn exercise calories for a short period of time after you are done with your workout.

Going back to your routine. Take a look at a few more sites before starting. www.startingstrength.com and www.stronglifts.com.

These will show more compound lifts that will target more areas in one lift than some of the isolation lifts shown on bodybuilding.com.
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not wild about lifting either but I do it anyway because I know it makes me stronger and is good for me in the long run. But it doesn't give me the same feeling of accomplishment as running does. Not sure why. Bottom line - Just do it! It is good for you.
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question:

Are you not able to do ANY cardio on alt days? Maybe do the bike or elliptical if you can't run.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good begginers program. Not one I would pick but you could pick a better one once you've been doing it for a bit. Your plan of 3 sets and 2 to 3 times a weeks sounds good.

I absolutely love weights and work a different group everyday. I used to feel dissatisfied like I wasn't accomplishing as much as cardio but once you start getting serious and making progress everytime, the feeling of accomplishment is so much greater. I don't even do much cardio anymore. Whenever I notice small gains in muscle, the feeling is so much better than I felt back when I was losing weight. :)

Goodluck! Hopefully you'll start to love it once your used to going and making progress.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting weights, but I recent was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, which means my basketball days are over for a while. So I started lifting. Here is the routine I am doing:

For those of you who know, how is this lifting program if I am doing 2-3 sets of each exercise and going 2-3 times a week?

I feel like I am backsliding in my weight loss really hard... you don't get the same satisfaction of feeling like you burned calories when you're just lifting. Anyone else feel this way, or am I perhaps taking it too easy?

I do not like this routine personally...

But if you are looking to get some serious burns in your lifts...
    1) Do more compound lifts
    2) Do Super-sets
    3) Decrease your rest between sets...
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. It's written by Jaime Girard, who is an active competitor and personal trainer.

I started with this one: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-to-advanced-bodybuilder-in-12-weeks.html . Then did a few rounds ion Insanity/p90x.

I'm moving to this one now: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size.html

Good luck, lift heavy.
  • joshd1974
    joshd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You could try this in a circuit style with little to no rest between exercises. That usually wear's me out pretty quick. Also I agree with YakAttack6. Could use more compound lifts instead of the isolation exercises.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I do not like this routine personally...

But if you are looking to get some serious burns in your lifts...
    1) Do more compound lifts
    2) Do Super-sets
    3) Decrease your rest between sets...

^ This + free weights over machines.
    -Try to avoid isolation exercises.
    - Keep the intensity up, ie more wieght, less rest, more reps
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    personally, I'm not a fan of this program, but here's a disclaimer - I love to lift! I'm an athletic trainer, which means I deal with dumb athletes, and long hours...so here's a couple things I to get a short but intense workout

1. Compound lifts (ie. a squat press - here's an example - http://www.livestrong.com/video/5314-dumbbell-squat-press/)

2. Super sets - this keeps me from getting bored in the weight room and allows for less actual rest. For example if you do a set of bicep curls and then a set of tricep extensions, you can move straight into the next exercise because while your biceps are working your tris rest, and vice versa

3. active rest periods - on an arms/shoulder day for example, I will do 3 super sets of 8 or so lifts. However, in between my super sets I will do a super set of ab exercises. This still allows time for my arms to recover while still maintaining an elevated heart rate.

And if running is a concern...look into different forms of cardio. I really enjoy rowing, but swimming is also a great low impact form of cardio.

I hope this helps, and if you'd like some more help, feel free to ask!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    personally, I'm not a fan of this program, but here's a disclaimer - I love to lift! I'm an athletic trainer, which means I deal with dumb athletes, and long hours...so here's a couple things I to get a short but intense workout

1. Compound lifts (ie. a squat press - here's an example - http://www.livestrong.com/video/5314-dumbbell-squat-press/)

2. Super sets - this keeps me from getting bored in the weight room and allows for less actual rest. For example if you do a set of bicep curls and then a set of tricep extensions, you can move straight into the next exercise because while your biceps are working your tris rest, and vice versa

3. active rest periods - on an arms/shoulder day for example, I will do 3 super sets of 8 or so lifts. However, in between my super sets I will do a super set of ab exercises. This still allows time for my arms to recover while still maintaining an elevated heart rate.

And if running is a concern...look into different forms of cardio. I really enjoy rowing, but swimming is also a great low impact form of cardio.

No Fair ...you copied my essay and added more fluff.... :wink:
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry. I can do elliptical on my off days, and I do try to fit that in as well. I can't do any treadmill, basketball, or bike though. At least not for a few more weeks.
  • crobl
    Options

You're just jealous that I had a more complete answer to this:wink:

Sorry I can't help it that I'm amazingly smart and have an awesome program that I created for myself...
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

Sorry I can't help it that I'm amazingly smart and have an awesome program that I created for myself...

Dag nabit!...I will ruin your program.. Muahahahaha :devil:
  • crobl
    Options

Ruin it? Oh please, could you even handle it?
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really recommend compound lifts for beginners, keep it simple for a while. I hate machines but they are good for beginners because they can help teach you proper form.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

Ruin it? Oh please, could you even handle it?

Uh...Yeah...this is my warm up...What!

terry_crews_euro_training_gif_by_mr_joseph_no_one-d2z9t9w.gif
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I wouldn't really recommend compound lifts for beginners, keep it simple for a while. I hate machines but they are good for beginners because they can help teach you proper form.

Wait a minute ....Wha?

Compund lifts are just Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Pull ups/Rows, Overhead Press

That should be the only thing any beginner is doing!

Edit to add: Now supersets would be something to add...after you got the form down ,and know your limits...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Can you tell me which machine would teach proper form for a squat or deadlift or target multiple muscle groups and engage stabilizer muscles?

I'm sorry, but this is not accurate, at all.