Do you agree with this?

Options
2»

Replies

• basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well you have to build up to it. you will notice that as your stamina improves, your recovery time is shortened. You stop sweating sooner, when you feel you have reach that point then increase to 45 min. and then do the same thing. I have been jogging for quite awhile and I would do 2 1/2 miles or 3 miles. Then last week i did a 4.7 mile loop. and I was suprised how well it went, 2 days later I did 4 miles and now 3 is the least I do. It is all up to you, chances are, what you are doing is a lot more than you did before. So go at your own pace, just remember when you stop sweating a few minutes after you are done, it is time to extend yourself to what you are comfortable with. Don't overdue it, you want this to become a way of life!!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    No exercise can target body fat on any part of your body. That part is pure BS. Your body stores fat and loses fat all over the body, with higher concentration areas that are based on that body.

As for the exercise part of that.....a sweeping generalization that means nothing. What works for one person may or may not work for another. Eating at a deficit you can lose weight without exercise. You can do excellent cardiovascular training in well under and hour. I have worked up to doing 30-45 minutes of cardio, 3-5 times per week and have seen great improvements in my cardiovascular fitness in addition to losing right about 40 lbs in just over 4 months.

Try different exercises and exercise routines. Find something you like doing that will push your heart rate and burn some calories, be it for 10 minutes or an hour. Do some weight training in addition to cardio workouts to tone and build lean muscle, since muscle burns a lot more calories at rest than fat does.
  • emo1234
    emo1234 Posts: 13
    Options
    I believe Half an hour of cardio can be plenty as long as you push yourself!!!.
    Try mixing it up though to keep the workout challenging and your body guessing.
    For example: i do 40 sec fast and then 20 sec sprints for 15 minutes on the bike or cross trainer and i sweat like crazy and my heart rate is through the roof (i also do another segment on another cardio machine i try and at least do 20mins per session).
    Or when I'm on the treadmill every two minutes i increase the incline and/or the pace.
    and when I'm on the rower i try and row a certain distance as quick as i can and then repeat after a short break if I'm feeling up to it!
    If i ran or was on the bike for half and hour without mixing it up
    1/ i would get bored with my routine and
    2/ i would stop seeing results as my body adapts quickly.
    Hope this helps :)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to do a whole hour. Just burn more than you eat and you will lose weight.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you believe everything you read or are told, you need to grab your shoulders. This is the biggest crock out there.

Use simple logic. If you workout for long periods of time at a slow pace, your body will burn XXXX amount of carbs. Guess what...if you workout harder for shorter periods, you can burn the SAME carbs.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Also...

I think it depends where you are at. Steady state cardio helped me lose 50 lbs. I was alllll about the running. I was training for half marathons and would run 2-7 miles a couple times a week. I think if your BMI is over the "normal" range, then any combo of counting calories and steady state will do it fine....and I still don't think you have to do a full hour five times a week. Seriously.

But now that I'm in a healthy BMI and my goals are to see my ab muscles, steady state doesn't cut it anymore. That's why I do HIIT now. Also, my weight lifting takes an hour and I"m a single mom so I can't spend an hour on weights AND an hour on cardio, so that's why I use HIIt to max out as much as I can in as little time as I can.

I can't speak to how HIIT compares to steady state when you are "overweight" as I didn't discover HIIT until later. But I can't imagine it is bad! Running 7 miles steady state ruined my knees- so I'm a fan of HIIT. But I also still like to run 2 miles here and there because I think its' great for stress.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I seem to be doing alright with just what I can handle maintaining the rest of my life - eat an appropriate amount of food for my body, exercise for 40-80 minutes a few times a week (2-4 times, depending on how busy I am and how I feel), and just live. I don't do one specific thing, I just do what I feel like doing: lift some weights, punch the heavy bag, run on the treadmill, whatever. I'm not body-building, I'm body-shrinking and just trying to be healthier.
  • Prettywings77
    Options
    haha!! Funny..I forgot about the saran wrap!
  • Prettywings77
    Options
    Thank you for all of your great input!! Either way, another 30 mins of walking or cardio in the afternoon will not hurt. I just don't believe that it HAS to be an hour of cardio. The 30 mins of biking and my balanced diet have been knocking off a steady 2 lbs a week. I'll rev it up for summer by adding more days of strength training. :smile:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    when i had my gazelle id go for at least an hour and i lost 39 lbs in 5 or 6 months time...

What happened to your gazelle? Did it run away?
  • basillowe66
    Options
    Karen, how can you be so turned off by excercise? You don't have to kill your self by overdoing it! It's true if you take in less calories than you used to you are going to lose weight, but moderate excersise will hasten the process and it is good for your heart and your circulation. Again you don't have to overdue it. MODERATION!!

Basil
  • basillowe66
    Options
    Just don't overdo it so you get tired of doing it. It sounds like you have it going well!!

Basil
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually told me a person can lose weight without exercising but encourages his patients to exercise to keep a healthier frame of mind and it's just good for the body.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

What I have learned with my body....my diet is what gets rid of the fat. My exercise is what makes my muscles pretty. So, I got to workout so I am fit and healthy, but my diets keeps that fat off so I can see my hard work.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    "If you really want to melt away unwanted pounds, the kind of cardio you do matters. You must exercise for at least an hour a day, five times a week, doing heart-pumping, high-intensity cardio like running, biking, swimming, or dancing. Keep in mind that interval training targets your waistline, so mix up your pace for even faster results."

I have been doing 30 mins of cardio on the bike. One hour seems like a lot...how about 45 min?

I need to step up my workout plan. Maybe I can do 30 mins in the am and 30 mins in the pm. Has anyone noticed better results while doing cardio for one hour? Do you break it up into 2 workouts? I do not have one hour but can break it up into 2 half hour cardio sessions.

Thanks!

I think that if you have a lot of weight, especially fat, to lose, or you want to lose quickly, 45 minutes to an hour, 5 to 6 days a week is required. I couldn't do it myself. It's too much time and it's too boring. That's why I've tried never to become overweight.

If I were really overweight or obese, I would not believe the dumbed-down assurances that all that's required is 30 minutes a day, three or four times a week. They've been rolling them down over the years because people aren't complying. Doesn't mean that's not the reality.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I say everyone's different and you need to find what works for you. And then be prepared for some shift to occur within your own body that will change what used to work and make you try something else. Does that make sense?

Oh, and the doctor I most recently talked to about this (she was a podiatrist, but still), said that any more than 20 minutes at a time on a cardio machine was a waste of energy. Whatever!

I happen to like an hour a day of hardcore cardio, especially in a class with loud music, so that's what I do. Call me crazy, but it seems to be working. :happy:
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It is all about the food I exercise with Power Yoga 2/3 days a week (90 mins) each. I also walk my and use the bow flex. I also have a ton of housework and yardwork so, in a day I think I get a fair workout just doing my general chores etc. This has been how I have worked out for the last 4 years but, it wasn't until I changed my eating and incorporated more whole foods and cut out alcohol that I am actually seeing a weight loss. I have thyroid and adrenal issues so I know my metabolism is slower but, once I changed my eating the weight started coming off. For me it is what I put in my body. I try to eat whole foods and drink tons of water Just keep moving and eat enough of the good stuff!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you're not doing at least 6 hours of cardio and 4 hours of strength training, you're really not even trying.