Truvia vs. Stevia

Options
doniwat
doniwat Posts: 5 Member
I'll admit it ... I've been a sweetener user for several years (mostly Splenda). I want to switch to something healthier, but still sweet, for my occasional coffee and hot tea. I don't want to splurge on the calories for sugar, agave or honey ... any opinions about Truvia vs. Stevia? Thanks!

Replies

• daburnsie
    daburnsie Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think the two are interchangeable. You can get large boxes of Truvia online at Amazon fairly cheap.
  • Slynderize
    Slynderize Posts: 25
    Options
    The only difference is taste, IMO. Yes both are stevia, but Truvia does not taste near as good as the green box marked Stevia I buy at Walmart in the diabetic's section. I think Truvia adds some bulk to make it measure differently or some such. The Stevia I buy lasts a lot longer, it's sweeter and doesn't seem to have fluffers in it.
  • claramay66
    claramay66 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Spenda has been found safer than most other sweetners. I wanted to share the following with you too:

Stay a way from the diet drinks!!!!! Anything with ASPARTAME as a sweetner is DANGEROUS. Check out anything that says "Sugar Free" if it has aspartame in it, don't do it!! Aspartame is in Nutra Sweet, Equal, and Spoonful (Not Spenda). When the temperature of this sweetnener exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol converts to Formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants. The methanol toxicity mimics, amoung other conditions, multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus. Many people have been misdiagnosed with illnesses that turned out to be Aspartame poison.

Some cases that it applies to are: tinnitus and Fibromyalgia, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in legs, cramps, vertigo, Dizziness, Headaches, and joint pain. It can cause unexplainable depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss.

The thing about diet drinks is they are more likely to make you gain weight than loose it, because they are chemically altered, multiple Sodium (salt) and aspartame containing product that actually makes you CRAVE CARBOHYDRATES. These products also contain formaldehyde, which stores in the fat cells, particularly in the hips and thighs. Formaldehyde is an absolute toxin and is used primarily to preserve "tissue specimens". We do not need that in our bodies.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like regular Stevia also :)
  • doniwat
    doniwat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    From what I understand Stevia is derived straight from the plant. Truvia is a sweetener made with an altered version of stevia called Rebiana and some kind of sugar alcohol (it's fermented I believe). I've heard mixed things about Rebiana, either that it's GMO or that it's made from stevia by a process involving chemicals. I don't know which (if either) is correct. While I don't think either are "bad" for you, some people like to go with the simple version, which would be the actual stevia since it's just the stevia plant. Personally if I don't know what an ingredient is and it's difficult to find out, I avoid it.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Stay a way from the diet drinks!!!!! Anything with ASPARTAME as a sweetner is DANGEROUS.

This is total bullocks copy & pasted straight off of Snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
  • redmamacita
    redmamacita Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Stay a way from the diet drinks!!!!! Anything with ASPARTAME as a sweetner is DANGEROUS.

This is total bullocks copy & pasted straight off of Snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

diet drinks should be avoided anyway. regardless of whether or not aspartame is as dangerous as some believe, the truth is your body functions better overall on natural, nonprocessed, non manmade drinks. like WATER.

i used to be a diet-coke-a-day kind of person, gave it up cold turkey on january 1 of this year and i can't describe to you how positive my body's response to removing that bad habit has been.
  • claramay66
    claramay66 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For all those that think that what I posted about Aspartame is BULL so be it. But when you have been sick all the time until you stop using it you may become a believer AS I DID!!!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Spenda has been found safer than most other sweetners. I wanted to share the following with you too:

Stay a way from the diet drinks!!!!! Anything with ASPARTAME as a sweetner is DANGEROUS. Check out anything that says "Sugar Free" if it has aspartame in it, don't do it!! Aspartame is in Nutra Sweet, Equal, and Spoonful (Not Spenda). When the temperature of this sweetnener exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol converts to Formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants. The methanol toxicity mimics, amoung other conditions, multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus. Many people have been misdiagnosed with illnesses that turned out to be Aspartame poison.

Some cases that it applies to are: tinnitus and Fibromyalgia, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in legs, cramps, vertigo, Dizziness, Headaches, and joint pain. It can cause unexplainable depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss.

The thing about diet drinks is they are more likely to make you gain weight than loose it, because they are chemically altered, multiple Sodium (salt) and aspartame containing product that actually makes you CRAVE CARBOHYDRATES. These products also contain formaldehyde, which stores in the fat cells, particularly in the hips and thighs. Formaldehyde is an absolute toxin and is used primarily to preserve "tissue specimens". We do not need that in our bodies.

Not to be rude but Splenda is ALL chemical! Stevia and Truvia are natural (from a plant) and does not have any harmful side effects noted from it.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    From what I understand Stevia is derived straight from the plant. Truvia is a sweetener made with an altered version of stevia called Rebiana and some kind of sugar alcohol (it's fermented I believe). I've heard mixed things about Rebiana, either that it's GMO or that it's made from stevia by a process involving chemicals. I don't know which (if either) is correct. While I don't think either are "bad" for you, some people like to go with the simple version, which would be the actual stevia since it's just the stevia plant. Personally if I don't know what an ingredient is and it's difficult to find out, I avoid it.

Yes! This!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I've been using Pure Via in the odd thing. Seems alright, and I haven't sprouted 3 heads or tried to kill myself yet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    For all those that think that what I posted about Aspartame is BULL so be it.
    Did you cut & paste it without attribution as accused ?
  • avelline
    avelline Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like both, my favorite is using stevia extract - the stuff lasts forever, and you only need 1 or 2 drops to sweeten an entire cup of coffee. And it's all natural. I also grow the plant and crush a few leaves and throw them in there.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For some reason I can't find stevia in my area only truvia. When I looked into it a source said its from the same plant but a different part. I think it tastes great and just like sugar so if stevia is better I hope to try it.

Splenda is better? Lol, what a quack. Splenda is gross and pure chemical. The plant Stevia is from has been around for quite awhile.