Low Carb Weight loss Challenge

Options
202554.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Okay I am counting my carbs and trying to stick to low fat proteins and healthy fresh fruit and veggies. Anyone else trying this? Each meal I aim for 50-60 gms of carbs. Breakfast is my highest meal eating a whole wheat bagel with spray Parkey and sugar free jelly. Lunch is a salad with skinless chicken breast and dinner some low fat protein, veggie and healthy small serving of a carb like a sweet potatoe.
Fitness- 30-40 min of cardio, lift weights 3 days a week, and some fun thing like the trampoline or hula hoop.

Starting weight: 166 lb
Goal weight: 127 lbs.

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    50-60 grams of carbs per meal is a LOT of carbs per day.................

I don't even eat that many carbs total in a whole day!!!

Good Luck to you.
    Carbohydrate intake is often the decisive factor in weight loss success and prevention of widespread health problems like Metabolic Syndrome, obesity and type 2 diabetes. These average daily intake levels assume that you are also getting sufficient protein and healthy fats, and are doing some amount of Primal exercise. The ranges in each zone account for individual metabolic differences.

0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.

50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.

100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.

150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.

300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

Picture2.png
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing good! :happy: 50-60 grams may be a little high, but it depends...how much were you eating before you started watching it? Probably a lot more. I was eating over 200 g a day, now I keep it under 100. I still love my breads and occasional potatoes.
    My doc said to eat more protein than carbs so that's what I've been doing. Over the past three weeks, I was eating about 20-30 or less g of carbs each meal because I wasn't eating fruit. I'm adding fruit back in now, so it will go up a little at one meal. I lost two pounds and about 1/2 inch off my waist over the last couple of weeks. I was also able to fit into some jeans again that I hadn't been able to. Exercise is lacking but I am getting back into it this week also. I do allow one cheat day a week, so I don't binge eat.
    Keep it up. It may take a few weeks but it will work!
    MM:flowerforyou:
  • kimberjones
    Options
    bump for valuable information

thanks!
    :flowerforyou:
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks!
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    cool chart I like that where did you get that? Yea I tired eating about 50 gm per day but I got so weak and once I stayed on it for about 2 months and my kidneys started hurting. I had to get out of bed and eat a banana and drink OJ since I think I was buring fat to fast. I got in the BOD POD last week and I have 120 lbs of lean so I have to eat some carbs. Most of my carbs is fresh fruit so you can subtract the fiber amount from the total. The American DIetbetic assosciation recommends 45-55 gm per meal and to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks.
    I will try to cut back to 50 gms and see how that goes even if just for 1 month.

Thanks for the great chart and the advice. Any other you can add would be great.:happy:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    cool chart I like that where did you get that? Yea I tired eating about 50 gm per day but I got so weak and once I stayed on it for about 2 months and my kidneys started hurting. I had to get out of bed and eat a banana and drink OJ since I think I was buring fat to fast. I got in the BOD POD last week and I have 120 lbs of lean so I have to eat some carbs. Most of my carbs is fresh fruit so you can subtract the fiber amount from the total. The American DIetbetic assosciation recommends 45-55 gm per meal and to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks.
    I will try to cut back to 50 gms and see how that goes even if just for 1 month.

Thanks for the great chart and the advice. Any other you can add would be great.:happy:

Just a suggestion.................

Up your fat intake (natural fats) and keep protein moderate..............lots of veggies, little bit of fruit. Eat nuts too for snacks...............

I got the chart from Mark Sisson's site. Mark's Daily Apple. I follow the Primal Blue Print eating, which is like a Paleo or caveman diet.

I have more energy now eating between 20 and 30 grams of carbs per day, but I eat about 60% fat, which is converted to energy also just like carbs.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Just be careful some people do not react well to low carb diets. Not all people have to do low carb diets to lose weight I lost 100 pounds just making healthier choices. Everybody is different. Also depending on your body you might want to ask you doctor before reducing carbs to much. There is alot of information out there about different diets which one works best which is bad for you. Some of it is opinion and it never hurts to get a profesional opinion.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    agree. I know that long term low carb actually has a bad effect in studies of elderly over 55 years. The cholesterol and BP came down but after 4-6 months the effect starting breaking down kidney tissue and function and the arteries and cholesterol increased. The kidneys take it hard since they have to break down all that fat and protein derivadives. Long term you can actually utilize fat too quickly and cause a fatty embolis which will block the blood flow and destroy whatever organ is beyond the blockage sometimes a kidney or sometimes other organs. The liver also gets fatty too. Remember the liver has to filter everything in the blood stream.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Ahh guys, I need to stay away from the trending low carb topics, but I'm seeing the same ole information being reposted again and again and again...

Fatty liver is primarily caused by excessive (read: beyond what the body requires for daily function) sugar and carbohydrate intake. Fat is not stored as fat and is required for healthy cell function. As is cholesterol.

Lack of fat and excessive protein is not a safe low carb diet. Actually a diet with excessive protein from lean meat is quite dangerous and SHOULD NOT be advocated under any circumstance. Period. Unfortunately this is what some define as "low carb diet," including some doctors. That's dangerous information and I hate to see it spread around. Unfortunately with much of the saturated fat bashing that goes on in the media and diet journals, most are concerned about eating organ meats or other fat-rich cuts of meat. These cuts of meat are a necessity to eat a low carb diet safely and for greater satiety. Atkins states this as do the Drs. Eades.

A lower carbohydrate or zero carbohydrate diet used to trigger ketosis to strictly control blood sugar, treat conditions of ADHD or autism MUST include a reasonable amount of dietary fat, typically 60% or more of daily nutrient breakdown.

Google "rabbit starvation" and read the results regarding protein poisoning and you can find out more of why people end up with renal failure eating a lean meat diet.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Ahh guys, I need to stay away from the trending low carb topics, but I'm seeing the same ole information being reposted again and again and again...

Fatty liver is primarily caused by excessive (read: beyond what the body requires for daily function) sugar and carbohydrate intake. Fat is not stored as fat and is required for healthy cell function. As is cholesterol.

Lack of fat and excessive protein is not a safe low carb diet. Actually a diet with excessive protein from lean meat is quite dangerous and SHOULD NOT be advocated under any circumstance. Period. Unfortunately this is what some define as "low carb diet," including some doctors. That's dangerous information and I hate to see it spread around. Unfortunately with much of the saturated fat bashing that goes on in the media and diet journals, most are concerned about eating organ meats or other fat-rich cuts of meat. These cuts of meat are a necessity to eat a low carb diet safely and for greater satiety. Atkins states this as do the Drs. Eades.

A lower carbohydrate or zero carbohydrate diet used to trigger ketosis to strictly control blood sugar, treat conditions of ADHD or autism MUST include a reasonable amount of dietary fat, typically 60% or more of daily nutrient breakdown.

Google "rabbit starvation" and read the results regarding protein poisoning and you can find out more of why people end up with renal failure eating a lean meat diet.

You make some really good points. I have to admit I did at one time do an unhealthy low carb diet. Its amazing how the body feels when it is getting all it needs.