I really need some motivation

Options
I am having such a tough time lately. I need some support and motivation. I have to lose about 20lbs. They just won't go....I know I have to exercise more but I have alot of problems with my legs. I have never been overweight before but I always ran....alot. now I can only run or walk for 30mins or so and if I over do it I litterly can't walk the next day. what inspires/drives you?

Replies

• terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have a lack in motivation as well.. I have the 30DS at home, still in the wrapper and really want to get back at it. Might I suggest swimming for yourself? Less pressure on the joints and you can hardly tell you are working up a sweat so you can keep going!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is your diet, 20% exercise. Exercise will make you look better and help you lose weight but it's not necessary. Find something you can do that doesn't hurt that you would enjoy doing. Swimming is a great exercise but I can't do it because I get soooooo bored! Cycling is great. I do spin classes several times a week and they don't hurt my knees or lower back. Do you have access to an elliptical? Ellipticals are great for a no/low-impact exercise. The motivation has to come from within-nobody can give you that but you. Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I am having such a tough time lately. I need some support and motivation. I have to lose about 20lbs. They just won't go....I know I have to exercise more but I have alot of problems with my legs. I have never been overweight before but I always ran....alot. now I can only run or walk for 30mins or so and if I over do it I litterly can't walk the next day. what inspires/drives you?

Trying something completely new and out of my comfort zone.

I was a runner too. I ran for play, for fun, for peace, for a workout, for sweat equity, for freedom, for competition with myself, for fighting cabin fever, to feel alive....

But it was getting harder and harder to motivate myself to d something that I was becoming so efficient at, that i wasnt really burning that much by running anymore.

I switched to focusing on lifting at the gym. It was so completely different than the cardio based exercises I always did, but I still got the heart rate up and still got a burn because I wasnt stopping between exercises. I'd got from one set to the next- just a handful of exercises a day- and I leave the gym feeling just as wiped out as I would after a 2 hour run.

I definitely recommend sinking your teeth into something new, so it wont be a matter of procrastinating while you are trying to 'get motivated', instead it will be more like-OMG I cant wait to go back to the gym cause Im getting really good at suchnsuch and I wanted to see what I can do today!

Just a hint.

If your workouts dont seem fun, youre eventually going to abaondon them unless you have some steel-reinforced self-discipline that doesnt care about fun or enjoyment lol

GOOD LUCK!
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Grab a camera, go outside, go for a walk, and whilst your taking pictures you wont even notice the exercise that your doing!! Keep your chin up and the weight will come off eventually :)
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You can also go to the pool and run/walk/swim for great cardio. Weight lifting is great and band resistance would be low impact too.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm inspired by who I used to be. although I am older now I still feel like I can get back to where I was when I was a mediocre runner.

medical problems have gotten in the way and I am starting to overcome them. was told I'd never walk again without support of some kind. it took me 2 years but i beat that. now I'm on to couch to 5k to get back into running.

you can get it back too
  • Reana27
    Reana27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is your diet, 20% exercise. Exercise will make you look better and help you lose weight but it's not necessary. Find something you can do that doesn't hurt that you would enjoy doing. Swimming is a great exercise but I can't do it because I get soooooo bored! Cycling is great. I do spin classes several times a week and they don't hurt my knees or lower back. Do you have access to an elliptical? Ellipticals are great for a no/low-impact exercise. The motivation has to come from within-nobody can give you that but you. Good luck!

Not sure I necessarily agree with this. Exercise is important for weight loss and for good health. I must admit, I used to live a pretty sedentary lifestyle. I exercise every day now, for at least 20-30 minutes and I feel tons better. I haven't lost many pounds, but lots of inches and I feel fantastic. I am a HUGE fan of Jillian Michaels. I have tried several of her DVDs and am reading her book master your metabolism now. I am currently doing the 30 Day Shred video (on day 8, level 1) and I love it!! It is only 20 minutes a day, and that is where I get my motivation. I just tell myself I can do anything for 20 minutes. The crazy thing is, after doing the video in the early afternoon, I am usually motivated to do some other kind of exercise later in the day.

Good luck!!
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Yoga...I use Jillian Michaels Powerhouse Meltdown Yoga....I enjoy it and had never done Yoga before and you lose weight as well. When I haven't done it in a few days I find myself missing it.

You can do this, it's your choice, but don't beat yourself up if you are taking baby steps. You logged on and you reached out that was a big step! :flowerforyou:
  • kayti2020
    kayti2020 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a lot of physical challenges as well. Over the last 7 months little by little I just keep getting stonger. There are many exercises you can do while sitting. I started with the sitting and using elastic bands.

Currently, started doing the daily method 2 weeks ago. It's a cross between pilates, yoga and ballet. It is a hard work out, however as with any new exercise... do them at your own pace, within your limitations. It's the journey... no quick fixes here. Cut the carbs, lots of water and greens.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Try taking Advil (or any type of Ibuprofen) 30-40min before you run/walk... It helped me get back into running A LOT. Also gradually ease into it. Go only as fast and long as you can and then the next day increase the duration of the walk/run. Once you hit your duration goal (mine is 45-48min because I run at lunch) then work on being faster (distance).
  • yoovie
    Options
  • yoovie
    Options
    Exercise will make you look better and help you lose weight but it's not necessary.

/twitch
    /aneurysm
    /broken heart
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Exercise will make you look better and help you lose weight but it's not necessary.

/twitch
    /aneurysm
    /broken heart

Her initial comment was she was discouraged because she wanted to lose weight and it hurt for her to exercise. Exercise is wonderful for both weight loss and general health but it truly isn't necessary just to lose weight. That's a matter of calories in vs. calories out. If you exercise you can eat more (which I personally love) and your body will look better and your health is much better but if your sole goal is weight loss it's NOT necessary. That was what I meant.
  • bonniesue08
    Options
    My motivation comes from a desire to remain mobile! I have sugar and it is slowly killing my nerves in the feet and legs not to mention arms. However I don't let this stop me I refuse to become a non mobile person I have always been active. Pain is a major problem I agree, as a motivation killer . My Doctors told me at least 5years ago I would be in a wheel chair, whether spite or determination is keeping me out of the chair heaven only knows but I thank God everyday and carry on yes through the pain.For exercise I walk at least 1 hour a day, swimming is my favorite along with riding my bike. I've tried some weight lifting, however with my problems it doesn't work for me. I also have other health problems from a accident years ago which have left me on disability. So understanding your pain and lack of motivation is something I more then understand , you have to decide how do I want to spend my life watching it go by or participating as much or as long as possible? Me I don't like to sit on the sidelines and watch I am a hands on person ! So good luck to all of you I wish only the best success for everyone!
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving. Walk around the block for 10 minutes each day and you will find that once you are outside you will walk longer than 10 minutes. There are also chair exercises you can do. Good luck!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I agree with this. If you concentrate on getting good nutrition and keeping calories even just 250 under mainteance level, you can lose weight successfully by just walking or doing physical activities that are enjoyable but don't cause injury or stress. Exercise is great, but you don't need to beat yourself up or drop into exhaustion to get great results.
  • amygaycheme
    Options

Try taking Advil (or any type of Ibuprofen) 30-40min before you run/walk... It helped me get back into running A LOT. Also gradually ease into it. Go only as fast and long as you can and then the next day increase the duration of the walk/run. Once you hit your duration goal (mine is 45-48min because I run at lunch) then work on being faster (distance).
    I know all the tricks for runners...I have ran several marathons...I just physically can not. If you take vitamin C in large doses after a run it also helps with muscle pain. It counter acts the lactic acid build up. :-)
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pbkrikit
    pbkrikit Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello there! I totally understand what you mean. It is difficult to get motivated when your body aches and is uncooperative. But the thing is to keep on plugging along. Even walking at a slower pace, you are still moving, and the longer the walk the more refreshing you wll feel afterwards. And you will feel a sense of accomplishment. Keep going strong my friend, you will lose your 20lbs and feel a whole lot better. Me, I have 60 lbs to lose, and I will be that "little engine that could" just chugging away until I reach my ultimate goal. Good luck to you!!!
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    what inspires/drives you?

What inspries me? I started because I was afraid that my dissatisfaction with my body would in some way harm my daughter's thinking about her own one day. I was unwilling to NOT chase my Son when he said "Mommy, chase me!"

I'm keeping going because I love how powerful I feel. (The new look in my Husband's eyes is pretty good too! :love:

Good Luck to you, Amy - you will find your motivation and when you do, watch out!