? about my Polar FT4

Options
tlaker
tlaker Posts: 82 Member
just got this little gadget and i am in LOVE with it!!!...my activities i use it for is Zumba, Spinning, and Incline treadmill.
Now for my question:

When should i hit the Start/Stop button to read my heart rate before hitting it again to start calculating my calories?

Usually during zumba, i start it immediately when she turns on the music and it records my resting heartrate, and then i hit it right after to begin the training....but today i started it in the middle of the first song, and noticed that by the end of class i burned more calories than i would have if i started it from the very beginning......So should i wait to get my heart rate up a little before starting it?

And the same ? goes for all my other activities...should i maybe warm up a few mins before starting my watch?

oh, and also...i usually stop the watch when we stretch at the end of Zumba....should i count that as my workout or no?

Thanks! would love some feedback! :)

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I always started mine right away. I forgot a few times but I didn't really notice a big difference. Maybe you just worked harder today?
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it's very possible that i worked harder today! because i've accidentally forgotten to start it at first too and still didnt burn as many. Today was so fun because i had my zumba buddy in there with me so i was prolly working so much harder and didnt realize it because its just so much fun!...Thanks!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I start mine as soon as I start intentionally moving my body (warm-up) and I stop it after my cool-down/stretch. Some folks will tell you they will stop it as soon as their heart rate gets low enough so it's out of their "zone" - usually 100-120 bpm. Totally up to you!