I just need to vent a little

Options
jtintx
jtintx Posts: 445 Member
My husband has undergone three surgeries in the last 2 1/2 months. Taking care of him hasn't left a whole lot of time for myself. My diet and exercise has been in the toilet since this whole thing started. I'm just feeling so down right now. I was up to routinely running 7 miles with no walk breaks and now I can't even run 3 miles straight through. I could easily ride my bike 50+ miles but now a 30 mile ride attempt almost did me in. I've gained weight and lost muscle. I don't want to go back to where I was before but I'm just so discouraged. Ok...self pity party over...

Replies

• mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Awww hun that's a bummer. Do what you can and just know that you can always get back to where you were, but the time spent helping your husband is the priority right now.

Just don't forget to do the essentials of taking care of yourself.
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I hear you and feel you... my husband had back surgery 2 yrs ago and is quite often out of comission... we have 4 yr old twins... I sacrifice my exercise often because he cannot manage the kids, etc on his own... frustrates me even more because he has done nothing preventative to help avoid a re-occurance or improve his situation since his surgery (eg. strength training, consistent physio, accupuncture, etc) so whenever he re-injures or aggrevates his back I want to scream! All he does is pop pain pills and lie on an icepack on the couch. It's making me crazy! (yes, we are in the midst of an "episode" right now...) I need to run and exercise to keep myself calm and sane. When I don't get it.... it makes bad situations worse!!! :o(

Sorry to hijack - that's my vent! Thanks for listening! :blushing:
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing with my husband about 9 years ago. He had a backhoe injury to his leg, and he was laid up for a couple of months, and his injury was so bad he could have lost his leg. Our 3 kids were pretty little then, but my husband's work schedule was very nice that I could exercise when I wanted to. I know it is frustrating, but your attention needs to be on him now, and hopefully everything will get back to normal. . I'm sure it won't take you long to get back in the swing. Please don't feel I'm condemning your feelings in any way, but every part of life has its season. :flowerforyou:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Hon, I feel your pain. My husband was hospitalized 9x last year, taken to the hospital via ambulance 3 times. . He has heart problems, diabetes w/high BP. All I can say is that I hope things get better & that your husband recuperates nicely. It is definitely exhausting caring for a sick/injured loved one. Eating on the run & no time for yourself is hard. It takes both an emotional & physical toll. I hope things will get better for you & your husband soon!
  • rwperez
    rwperez Posts: 13
    Options
    Every situation is different but maybe a friend or relative can come by and fill in for you while you squeeze in a little "you" time. If you feel good you may lift your husband's spirits as well!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Every situation is different but maybe a friend or relative can come by and fill in for you while you squeeze in a little "you" time. If you feel good you may lift your husband's spirits as well!

This is good advice!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to have my feelings validated and not be judged. We're all human right?
    ... I need to run and exercise to keep myself calm and sane. When I don't get it.... it makes bad situations worse!!! :o(

Sorry to hijack - that's my vent! Thanks for listening! :blushing:

I know exactly how you feel. I hope things get better for you too.