Considering Breast Reduction... Thoughts or Experiences???

Options
I'm currently a 36/38DDD or E and I have the hardest time running (like I want to) or doing anything other than walking because they are soooo in the way. I have had rotator cuff issues and my shoulders have pretty large dents in them from my bras. I usually wear 2 bras when I hit the gym or attempt running. I'm just getting tired of it. I am considering a breast reduction and wondered if any of you ladies have had it done and if so, do you feel better when you exercise??

Just looking for some feedback good or bad. Thanks : )

Replies

• sosokk
    sosokk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's a good idea..if u r planning to loose weight your breast size will reduce dramatically..as body fat melts your breast will too naturally...that always happens to me !!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a total of four girlfriends that have had breast reductions, for various reasons. ALL of them couldn't be happier! Not once have I heard any of them say they wished they hadn't done it.
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm getting an uplift/reduction when I've reached my target weight as I've always hated mine...Im the same, two bras to run, and round shoulders as i try to hide them
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My aunt (55) and cousin (24)had it done. They were really happy they did it. My Aunt wished she had done it years ago.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    my girlfriend at the time and my sister both went in together to get the surgery done. They both feel it was a great choice.
  • bigpenguin570
    bigpenguin570 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One of my girlfriends was extremely large, she had the surgery and would do it all over again, even the painful parts!
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've had a friend who have done it. Her dr said she needed to lose the weight first. As someone stated, you will lose some fat from the "girls". I'm going to have mine done at some point this year (thanks to cancer), and i'm actually looking forward to it!!!

Good luck!
    Sheila

:flowerforyou:
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I worked for a plastic surgeon for years and we saw many breast reduction patients. I can say it is considered one of the most relieving surgeries for a woman. Find a board certified doctor who will be honest with you about whether it is a good idea for your body size. Most insurance companies will pay for this surgery if you meet their qualifications. If you don't meet those qualifications you are probably not a good candidate for the surgery anyway. You should always be at your goal weight before having this surgery for the optimum results.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Wait until you've reached your weigh loss goal. And try not to gain the weight back. My mom had a reduction when she was 40 (went from a 38DD to a 38C) but by the time she was 50 they grew back to the same size because she put on weight. There is no guarentee that they'll stay small. I'm not saying not to do it, but you need to know what size they will be when you've reached goal. If you get them done now (say you reduce them to a C) then lose 20-30 pounds they could result in an A or a B...
  • VioletBoutilier
    Options
    A friend of mine, who is older than me (approx. 60 years), who had been on hormone therapy which made her breasts overly large, had breast reduction about 6 years ago. Now reportedly a B-cup. She is much, much happier, about it. Has less neck pain and says her clothes fit better.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a 36/38DDD or E and I have the hardest time running (like I want to) or doing anything other than walking because they are soooo in the way. I have had rotator cuff issues and my shoulders have pretty large dents in them from my bras. I usually wear 2 bras when I hit the gym or attempt running. I'm just getting tired of it. I am considering a breast reduction and wondered if any of you ladies have had it done and if so, do you feel better when you exercise??

I don't support this.
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's a good idea..if u r planning to loose weight your breast size will reduce dramatically..as body fat melts your breast will too naturally...that always happens to me !!

If you look in my pictures at my wedding pic, I was the thinnest I've been in a long time (about 150ish), and the boobs didn't go anywhere unfortunately. : (
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lose weight first! A friend of mine's wife had hers reduced, after that they got into marathon running as a hobby and she lost a lot of weight (about 80 pounds) and after that she regretted the surgery.
  • shel1103
    Options

I don't support this.

Hahaha!!

And thanks all for the feedback so far. You've definitely given me a lot to ponder and ask when I go for my consultation.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I had one back in 2003. I was probably around 200 lbs when I had it done. I would wait until you lose weight. Now that I'm a large C cup I am slowly starting to go down in size again. I wouldn't mind being a small C but I hope I don't lose too much more in my chest area.

Another side effect is you can lose feeling and you will not get the same satisfaction from them as you did before - in the bedroom. That has happened to me. Now I know people that have had it done and have no issues in that area but it CAN happen. Also I have very bad scars so consider how your body scars before doing it. I can't wear low cut V tops/dresses/or swimsuits because of my scars.

With all that said I am still happy I had it done. But beware you don't always have a perfect outcome and you can't foresee that going into it. Thank god my husband loves me scars and all.
  • shel1103
    Options
    I'm getting an uplift/reduction when I've reached my target weight as I've always hated mine...Im the same, two bras to run, and round shoulders as i try to hide them

It's just so uncomfortable and I'm sick of em!!! I guess struggling with them until I get closer to my goal weight may be the best option after looking at all the advice.
  • pointypaintbrush
    pointypaintbrush Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36 GG, and I am definitely getting this done once I reach my goal weight, to be reduced to a solid D . I have back pain, shoulder divets, all that good stuff. Running is a definite no go. Like you, my weight has been up and down my whole life with very little effect on my boobs. But I'm still going to wait until I have lost some weight. I talked to my dr, and she said she has never heard of someone being unhappy once they've done this surgery. I have 2 friends who have been through it and also said they would do it again. I have heard that they do grow back if you don't watch your weight, so that's going to be something to be very careful about, because then you have scars as well as having your old boobs back!!!
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    After my kids were born, I was right around 165 or so, and I was a 34K. Yes, that is right...H - I - J - *K* cup. I had reduction surgery when my youngest was about 3 - single best thing I ever did for myself, with the possible exception of currently losing weight. I have to say that the surgery made more of a different in my comfort (back pain, shoulder dents, rashes under the girls) than anything that has happened so far with my weight loss and improved fitness. The surgeon removed 8 pounds when he did my surgery - can you imagine carrying around 1-1/2 bags of sugar on your chest?!

So I support this, but ONLY if you are a legitimate candidate for it. What that means is an individual thing, IMHO. From the outside looking in, 36DDD doesn't hit the mark for me, but it's not my decision! I am a 36DD (really probably more like a 34DDD since my band size shrunk but the girls are going nowhere!) now AFTER surgery, and I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the recovery for such a minimal difference, as I wouldn't want to go below a D cup size. So 36DDD to 36D wouldn't be worth it to me.

Oh, and DEFINITELY wait until you've lost the weight!!! All the saggy uglies get put back in place when they do reduction. :laugh: :noway: It's like a lift and reduction at the same time. :heart: Love, love, love what it did for the girls...they were up where they belonged for the first time in almost a decade! :heart:
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I actually had breast reduction surgery, so this is first hand. I was a 40 F. If I layed on my back sans bra, it felt like the girls were pulling my ribs apart. I had the surgery, I had lost 50 lbs, from my then high of 242. Like you I had deep dents in my shoulders. I wore blouses that we much larger than I would have needed with the extra large girls. I hid them so well one of my coworkers actually stated that her and I were both flat chested. lol I pulled my blouse at the back and tight. freaked her out.

Anyway, i had double cover insurance, that finally started covering the reduction. I went down to C cup. I meant to be a med or large C. the dr. meant small c. when i lose weight down to 167, I was a large B. a bit smaller than I wanted, but I am still happy to have gone through the surgery. I didnt experiance much pain.

I would suggest yes get it done, however; I would go a size larger than you actually want. That way when you reach your goal weight, the girls will be the size you really want. Mine also helped to releive a migrane I had sufferred from for about 5 yrs. consistantly. Im 47, I believe I had my surgery when i was 40? (memory fog). I also got a lift. I now sag. but my nipples are not looking at the ground. I dont have to adjust them in my bra so my nipples are even. lol
    I DO NOT REGRET IT. GO FOR IT. and there are not many if any guys who will want you to do this. but they are not the one hauling the girls around. Good luck. let me know how it goes.
  • happienikki
    Options
    I had one & would do it again tomorrow!!! Feel free to message me if you have any questions!!! =)