Gamer Girl with 150 lbs to lose!

Options
I've been on here for a bit now and thought I'd take a little time to say hello! I've been fluctuating within the same weight range for several years now without ever going over a certain amount. While I've always known that I obviously needed to lose the weight, I felt comfortable with the way I was. However in the last few months my body is beginning to tell me it can't deal with it anymore! The biggest issue I'm having is my hips and knees are starting to hurt, and I'm afraid of what that may mean for my future!

So I'm really starting to try and make some changes in my life. I'm in a period when I'm really rather burnt out on the games I play. (WoW, Diablo 3, not to mention an assortment of single player games.) At the same time I have some friends starting their own diets and exercise routines. Also my office is starting a "Biggest Loser" competition that I've signed up for. So with everything going on right now it felt like the right time to make some changes!

I'm not planning any drastic changes to my diet yet. I'm not necessarily even tracking everything I eat. However I am starting to calculate what's in some of my favorite meals so I can take a closer look to see what I need to change. And while I'm not tracking everything I eat, I'm still becoming very conscious of what I am eating and what I need to change. I'm a picky eater and I have a tough time changing my diet. I'm also an emotional eater. All together it makes it difficult for me to make drastic changes, so that's why I'm approaching my diet slowly and planning to make small changes over time.

The biggest change I want to make right now is exercise. I've got some things in mind that I can do around the house to work out. But here too I have to be careful. I'm morbidly obese and I've been extremely sedentary for a long time, so even the smallest exercises wear me out fast. Having said that I'm also looking into joining the YMCA so I can participate in some of their water exercise classes. Here again I have the benefit of getting a discount through work. The regular cost of joining wouldn't be too bad for me, but getting that discount is even more motivation. They've got two classes I'm considering joining. One is a regular water aerobics class. The other is a "Wellness" program designed for people with physical limitations, designed to help gain strength, flexibility, and endurance.

Aaaaaanyways!! Other then mentioning the games I play I haven't said much about myself! I'm 34 years old and live in southwestern Oregon. I love it here, and one of my motivations is that I want to be able to start spending a lot more time outdoors going on hikes and stuff! I love all things Japanese, and one of my hobbies while I'm at work is to make origami. I make tiny origami cranes about 1.5 cm across that I've then given to a bunch of people at work. heheh I work in a call center for a major gaming console manufacturer. I LOVE my job and the people I work with!

I also suffer from depression and some anxiety, which is a big part of my weight and my struggle to make changes. A year and a half ago I was unemployed and didn't even feel capable of working part time. I started making little changes in my life to overcome my depression, taking better care of myself, getting out more, etc. Those small baby steps lead me to feeling more confident about myself, and over the course of a year I was able to reach a point that I actually got out and started working full time! I count myself lucky with the job that I found, and want to hang onto it as long as I can!

My experience with overcoming my depression by taking baby steps is the approach I'm taking with my health. It's helped me understand what works for me and what won't work for me, so I'm doing my best to start myself out on the right path that will lead me to success!

Thanks for "listening" to my rambling, and hope to get to know some of you better too!

Replies

• Slynderize
    Slynderize Posts: 25
    Options
    Did someone say gamer??!!

Sounds like you have some great motivation and have sorted out a plan, taking some big steps! Feel free to add me!
  • SaucyPeas
    SaucyPeas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OH....Gamer girl here too and losing weight. We can do this sweety! I know all about the depression and taking baby steps and making yourself comfortable on your own journey. In the end this is YOUR journey and you should do it as it makes you comfortable. Feel Free to add me! Maybe we can play In game too! haha
  • Nilithyana
    Nilithyana Posts: 21
    Options
    You know me, I'm your cheerleader!

Pool exercises would be fantastic. Easy on the joints! If I had a pool near me, I'd be in everyday (I'm a fishy, I love to swim).

*shakes pom poms*
  • dhoody
    dhoody Posts: 49
    Options
    Yeah way to much gaming for me too (PS3) so Im ready to change. I thought I'd checkout the site too see how people get it done. So we can lose together gl
  • Crystallyne
    Options
    Slynderize - Added! :happy:

Ghata - Thank you! Added too! :bigsmile:

Nilith - *GLOMP* Thank you!! :bigsmile:

Thanks guys! I'm feeling really motivated right now, but I tend to start out strong (sometimes overdoing it!) and then I have a hard time keeping up! That's something I gotta keep in mind too, as much as I'm ready to go jump into the Y's swimming pool 5 days a week, that's probably a bit much! :laugh: I'm a fishy too, I LOVE swimming! Just haven't as much in the last few years because I feel gross in a bathing suit. But I do have a couple, just need to figure out if either fit!

:heart:
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Hey gamer girl! Before college, I used to game more (mostly console stuff, though I did enjoy Guild Wars). I think a thing about gaming is that it keeps you sitting down for way tooo long. Have you tried any of the fitness games that have come out for the Wii and stuff? They can really make you work up a sweat! Anyway, feel free to add me, and we can share our struggles and successes :-)
  • Crystallyne
    Options
    Totally know the feeling, dhoody! I joined a couple months ago but I don't think I was really ready to make any changes yet. I saw enough to know I really like the set up here. So when I felt ready to take the big step to get myself going, I immediately start out here. :happy:
  • Lilkipi
    Lilkipi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've played WoW since one month after it came out, and I am also playing Diablo 3 now. I added ya :) I could use the mutual support as well! Props to you for starting somewhere :) MFP is a great resource for support!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yay, I am a gamer too. Not of your super massively multiplayer variety, but of everything else.

I like your plan so far! The water fitness classes are really good - you can adjust the intensity to match your fitness level, so it's a great idea!

I'd definitely log your regular diet for a while so you know your "maintenance", that way you can know the exact calorie amounts to drop from it when you do choose to change your diet. Lots of us wish we knew exactly what maintenance is for our weight! So go on with your bad self. ;)
  • Joleigh1115
    Options
    All I have to say is: YOU GO GIRL!!!! You can do it, good for you for not ignoring the signals and getting going on a new, healthy lifestyle! CONGRATS!
  • Crystallyne
    Options
    DrKittyCat - It's so true, though one benefit to gaming is that if you're focused on what you're doing then you're not nibbling and eating. lol But yes, between gaming and my job I'm sitting most of the day, and I need to fix that!! By the way is it safe to assume from your name that you like cats? :bigsmile: I've got 3 myself, one particular that is my baby!!

Lilkipi - I started WoW the day it launched at midnight when the game went live. :laugh: I totally know the feeling!!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ever since I took my late night gaming time (after the kids and wife were in bed) to focus on training for mountain bike races, I haven't gamed since January. It's possible, but takes dedication.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/FitDesk-Compact-healthy-computing-gaming/dp/B003JTLJFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338835827&sr=8-1

Highly recommended for gamers, especially if you aren't up to (or aren't able to) get outside to exercise for now.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Moderate gamer girl here too! I have actually been able to use my 360 to lose weight, gotta love the Kinect! I too am really heavy and having some health problems and finally was ready to make a change. It is a struggle girl I know, but you're on the right path, and even baby steps are better than no steps. Remember, you're still lapping everyone on the couch! I've made a lot of changes and was surprised at how easily I got addicted to exercise and how much I miss it. My Skyrim game has suffered, but you gotta pick priorities, right? Feel free to add me!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Good luck fellow gamer. Sounds like you a taking a step in the right direction. I'm a WoW/D3 kinda person. But I do play console games from time to time (just haven't found anything to hold my interest at this point).

We actually have a few gaming groups if you are interested, for more motivation! :)

And yes I'm jealous that you work in the gaming industry ... :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/36-mfp-gamers - MFP Gamers
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4868-girl-gamers - Girl Gamers

In case you are interested! :D
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I love to see other girl gamers! Makes our species seem a little less obscure. In fact, I stayed up until about two or three am last night just playing Starwars: The Old Republic. Gaming really does offer a wonderful distraction from the late night cravings, and can be an excellent tool to start light exercises such as Wii fit or the Kinect with Xbox 360.

Good luck, and feel free to add me. Would love to get to know a fell girl gamer. :)
  • Crystallyne
    Options
    Lots of responses!! Thanks all for the warm welcome! I'm sending out a few friend requests, feel free to add me as well! :wink:
  • rainwalkerSK
    Options
    Yay for gamer girls! I've been playing WoW since release (although been on hiatus for awhile, cautiously looking forward to Mists), played SWTOR for awhile and now have been devoting every free second (and I don't have many!) to Diablo III. I've never been a console gamer (well, not since Zelda: Ocarina came out for the N64...am I dating myself?) but I love MMOs. At the risk of alienating people with my nerdiness, I've also been a tabletop gamer for years. Started DnD with the release of 3.0 in 2000, played through 3.5 and then they lost me with 4th edition. Coincidentally, the release of 4e concided with the birth of my children, which brought my time for dice-throwing to a screeching halt.

I'm sending out some friends requests, feel free to add me!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    :D Yay for gamer girls! I played WoW for something like five years, before I had my little girl and lost the energy to be up all night raiding. ;) Now I'm into Rift... until GW2 comes out. I may actually start raiding again when I get to that point - who can resist the call of a no-subscription MMO? lol

:) Good luck with your goals, and if you need some support, feel free to add me. We can be nerds together. ;)
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have a long road to go as well. Feel free to add me. My philosophy is to take it one day at a time and stay positive!! Here's to success!!