Bikers OW Va-jay-jay does it go away?

Options
Ladies: I'm new to a bike..does the painful biker's "va-jay-jay" go-away?
:laugh:
because OWWWIE! LOL!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's worse for guys, just think Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite"
  • ddavis3030
    Options
    try getting a bigger seat. One that's softer and not as hard.
  • Kitabwell
    Kitabwell Posts: 5
    Options
    LOL I heard after a while it will not be so painful. You'll get used to it. at least that's what people have told me. I used to take a spin class (ok I was registered) however, I couldn't get past the butt aching pain so that didn't work for me. If you can get past the pain I heard it gets better. I hope it works out for you. Good luck!
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Yes, it will go away, just takes, for lack of a better word, "conditioning". lol! It helps to have the padded shorts, you dont wear underwear with them and that helps with seams in painful places, etc. I have a skirt that goes over mine, makes me feel cute, and a little less self concious.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Do not get a bigger or softer seat! Both of those sound good in theory but they will, in fact, make the problem worse.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Make sure your seat fits right. Big and padded is NOT better. Go get your sit bones measured at a bike store and get the right size seat. I have big hips and *kitten* and was surprised to learn that my sit bones are not that wide, just "average". Also make sure the seat is tilted forward a little. All pressure should be on those sit bones and NOT on your "soft tissue".
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Not really...pressure or chafing are not something that simply go away, unlike sit bones pain--mucous membranes and nerve endings aren't the same as skin, so they can't simply toughen-up like the hindquarters.

I've finally found a chamois/saddle combo that make things the least miserable, as well as using chamois butter (I like Sportique Century Riding Cream). We've also had to put a shorter stem on my bike...100mm was simply too long with my bike's already aggressive geometry and had too much of my weight rolled forward onto my girl parts. Cut-out saddles can help, but some cut-outs don't work for some crotches. It's definitely a trial and error thing.

I'm doing best on a Bontrager InForm Affinity saddle, which has a wide and subtle dip, rather than a sharp-edged cut-out. I'm looking forward to trying the new Ergon SM-3 saddle once it's available, too. The Bontrager isn't quit T-shaped enough for me, so it tends to force me too far onto the nose, since the more pear-shaped saddles and my gracilis (inner thigh) muscles battle for space.

All of this is a YMMV sort of thing and no 2 people find the same combo to work for them. It can be very expensive finding the ideal fit for each person.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Make sure your seat fits right. Big and padded is NOT better. Go get your sit bones measured at a bike store and get the right size seat. I have big hips and *kitten* and was surprised to learn that my sit bones are not that wide, just "average". Also make sure the seat is tilted forward a little. All pressure should be on those sit bones and NOT on your "soft tissue".

^^This for sure!
    Bigger and padded is not the answer (even though it sounds good)
    Biking shorts are good if you're going long distances though.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    All of this is a YMMV sort of thing and no 2 people find the same combo to work for them. It can be very expensive finding the ideal fit for each person.

This is true too. I've found that I prefer a thinner chamois (pad) on my shorts. Too thick actually makes me more uncomfortable. I rely purely on my seat, but I also mountain bike which I think means I'm more upright.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It does eventually. Instead of pain it'll turn into occasional soreness.
  • zoom2
    Options
    This is true too. I've found that I prefer a thinner chamois (pad) on my shorts. Too thick actually makes me more uncomfortable. I rely purely on my seat, but I also mountain bike which I think means I'm more upright.

Yeah, I have NO issues on my mountain bike and fewer issues on my cyclocross bike. It's definitely a positional thing for me (and having a lordotic spine and anterior-tilted pelvis). The crappy thing is that I am most comfortable in a relatively aero position, with the exception of that one really sensitive area. I'm getting tired of finishing rides having drawn blood (and let me tell you, once the sweating starts that is NOT a place one wants to have salt in an open wound). If I keep everything totally hairless "down there" I am generally good, since that eliminates one source of friction, but that's a lot of work. I researched laser hair removal, but that doesn't work well for blondes (and costs a fortune, even if it doesn't work) and my carpet most definitely matches the drapes. :blushing:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thats why I bought a semi-recumbent bike...much more comfortable seat.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It does, but you can help it by following a few simple steps.

First, make sure the bike and the seat fit you. You might have to spend a little time at a local bike shop. A good bike shop should have someone experienced in adjusting the height and perhaps angle of the seat to match you, and if necessary will have a variety of seats should you need to change it out.

Second, bike shorts. They give you that little extra padding and make sure that all the painful rubbing happens between that padding and your bike seat, and not your bottom and your bike seat.

Third - cotton kills. Avoid cotton because when it gets wet with sweat it basically turns into fine-grit sandpaper.

Padding on the seat itself is almost always your enemy.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Second, bike shorts. They give you that little extra padding and make sure that all the painful rubbing happens between that padding and your bike seat, and not your bottom and your bike seat.

Third - cotton kills. Avoid cotton because when it gets wet with sweat it basically turns into fine-grit sandpaper.

And not panties under the shorts...they are meant to be worn commando. Seams and cotton are bad news.